Thread: Starcraft vs. Warhammer 40k

Default Starcraft and Warhammer 40k similarities

Do you see the similarity between SC and WH40K? (Yes I know that Blizzard has taken quite a handful ideas from GWS, I still love blizzard lore no matter what.) I have been seeing similarity between these two universe for the past half year ever sense I began reading the Horus Heresy series and WH40K novels.
    I'll add more details latter on in the future.

RACES:
    Terran = Terrans, Well its same.
    Protoss = Tau/Eldar; Tau as for the beliefs & caste system and Eldar due to been a creation of the Old Ones, some technology, and age.
    Zerg = Tyranids.
    Xel'Naga = Old Ones/C'tan.
    Hybrids = Necrons? The rising of the Xel'naga hybrid armies vs the Necron reawakening on Tomb Worlds

ORGANIZATIONS:
    UPL/UED = The Imperium of Man; mini version and Project Purification vs. Old Night.
    Confederacy = The Imperium of Man again with the Old Families vs the High Lords of Terra.
    Dominion = Another Imperium, but with a Emperor leading them. (SC Horus version for man?)
    Protectorate = Gue'vesa; human Tau allies. The Umojans ally with some protoss in the near future?
    Combine = ???
    Ghost Programs =Officio Assassinorum

EVENTS & LEADERS:
    The Apocalypse nuclear bombs on Korhal vs the Virus bombs (Life Eater) on Isstvan III. SC version of Horus rebellion to the Imperium vs Arcturus rebellion against the Confederacy.

Overmind vs Hive Mind
    Horus vs Arcturus vs Emperor
    Last edited by LordArreat15; 05-13-2009 at 07:35 PM. Reason: avoid vs. agruments

vIsitor's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: Starcraft vs. Warhammer 40k

I do believe that vs threads were explicitly discouraged in the forum guidelines, but anyway...

When it comes to WarHammer and StarCraft, Blizzard stole from WH40k, and they stole right back from StarCraft. WH40k came first, but it was rather formless and boring; Blizzard took the general idea and improved on it. Turnabout is fair play, so they took all of the improvements that Blizzard made and improved them more. And Blizzard went right back and improved on their further improvements.

So, yeah, they are rather similar. It would be hard for them to not be. And their friendly competition has only served to make both universes that much more awesome, so I really don't question it.

I do believe that vs threads were explicitly discouraged in the forum guidelines, but anyway...
    Oops sorry, forgot not to do vs. threads.

I was rather surprise to hear when Graham McNeill was going to write I, Mengsk. But a great book to SC, can't wait for a second one.
    Still this was a subject that was nagging at me ever sense I read the HHS novels and I just wanted to get it off my chest.

Edit: Change the title to Starcraft and Warhammer 40k similarities, to avoid starting future arguments.
    Now I see it doesn't allow to to edit the title.
    Last edited by LordArreat15; 05-13-2009 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vIsitor View Post
    When it comes to WarHammer and StarCraft, Blizzard stole from WH40k, and they stole right back from StarCraft. WH40k came first, but it was rather formless and boring; Blizzard took the general idea and improved on it. Turnabout is fair play, so they took all of the improvements that Blizzard made and improved them more. And Blizzard went right back and improved on their further improvements.

So, yeah, they are rather similar. It would be hard for them to not be. And their friendly competition has only served to make both universes that much more awesome, so I really don't question it.
    Wow, vIsitor, that is just the most mature, reasonable summary of the relationship between the universes I have ever seen. You deserve rep (if it existed ) Usually these threads turn into a ranting war of "who ripped off who" so thanks for nipping that in the bud.
    The Spider Brigade has disabled your radio gauge

Terrans are the same in both universes? Nah. Terrans in the WH40K universe are extremely religious, and (even more) ignorant than their Koprulu Sector counterparts.

Graham McNeill wrote that the terrans of StarCraft were easier to write for, since they're more like us.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

I know warhammer was actually first, but the starcraft universe makes more sense to me,it fells more realistic ,where the warhammer one just fells cheesy and strange and overthetop.

Exclamation Re: Starcraft vs. Warhammer 40k

Sorry, VS. threads aren't allowed. Since this is a StarCraft forum, most people are going to favor StarCraft while the other side is defended by the dedicated fans. In most cases, things usually get ugly.
    [CENTER]