Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SCII Flashpoint novel

Default Re: SCII Flashpoint novel

IIRC, "Great War" has been used at least twice, once in the manual of BW, once in the StarCraft tabletop game.

The_Blade's Avatar Administrator

Well, the wiki is a secondary source and you are looking for a primary source. I would do like Hawki said and search the BW manual for the term. You might find other primary sources, but you would have to search through books and interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawki View Post
    IIRC, "Great War" has been used at least twice, once in the manual of BW, once in the StarCraft tabletop game.
    Wow, thanks. As I said early, I'm not against using Second Great War for SC2, not in the wiki or in fan forums. I just wanted to be sure.

Ironically this "2506" controversy relates to the thread. If Flashpoint is really an "interquel", then maybe it cover 1 - 2 years. And maybe Kerrigan is part of the Hyperion crew all this time.

You see, one thing is Kerrigan getting de-infested and HotS happening just weeks after WoL. If Gradius is right, as he probably is, that's not the case.

Other thing would be Kerrigan being either sleeping during the interbelum time, or part of Raynor's crew. So in HotS we would see her already used to her new/old identity as Sarah Kerrigan and her place in the world at Jim's side, just to have this identity questioned and shatered by necessity or whatever happens in the beginning of HotS.

Now, something that is the same story-wise, but very different lore-wise, if you get what I say, is if the former statement is right, and Flashpoint is an interquel. If such is the case, then Flashpoint would be even more important to understand HotS than the Dark Templar trilogy was. Because the "interbelum Sarah" would be an important part of the universe's History that would only be shown in the book.

So maybe this is another step from Blizzard towards making the books more and more important? Maybe they're planning to take the book business a more serious investment?

I dunno. My guess is that Flashpoint may be similar to Rise of the Lich King in form. In terms of the present, not much happens while in contrast, its main purpose is to flesh out the past. My guess is that in the present we might be seeing things from Raynor's POV, while we have flashbacks to the past in Kerrigan's POV. To build up her character. Granted, other stuff has done that, but maybe we'll see Haley's transformation from infested terran to Izsha for instance.

Looks like I missed a lot of debate on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TcheQuevara
    And what is the source in the 2506 article? Wow, it is Gradius' article, that I already mentioned! And that I wasn't questioning btw, just asking for more information about.
    I checked the reference after seeing it. There's a quote in the reference (a quote is usually the best type of reference) but couldn't find it in the source article. I assume it's in a video, which could mean crawling through hours of video to find it.

Edit: No videos

Me too. IIRC, Blizzard itself said the wiki is 99% right. Novel writers use it as a source.
    I've never heard the first part myself, but Graham McNeill's comments certainly support the second statement (He checked the wiki for timeline info. He must have noticed the error we used to have on the timing of the destruction of Korhal, as we had to update that time by seven years in response to his novel.)

Stebo from SC Armory claims the same year. I believe you, but sometimes I wonder, what if you're mistaken, and Stebo is basing what he says on you? Because the Wiki's only source is your article. I'm just saying it would be very funny if you were wrong. I'm not even questioning if you're right or not. I believe you are.
    We have only one source for the date, and it's controversial, so I think we should look into making that date "less firm" (eg "some time after the 2GW").

We had a huge debate a few years ago because Blizzard finalized the timeline, publishing it in Heaven's Devils and later novels, and while it often matched up exactly with the wiki, in some areas it did not. (For instance, we had to move the date 2505 back a year.) Sometimes Blizzard fixed a date (eg StarCraft: Ghost in 2503) even though their own original sources said "four years after the Brood War" which would be 2504/2505. We changed our canon policy to take clarity into account, especially when setting dates.

My second question is almost answered too: the "Second Great War" is fan nomenclature (no prob!) while "Great war" is not. But here comes another question, is the only source validating "Great War" as official Brian Kindregan?[/i] Because I think Kindregan himself may have start using the term because of the Starcraft Wikia. Think with me, if novel writers use it, this means Blizzard's own "archives" aren't as trustful as the Wiki, so the Wiki maybe became an "almost official" source even for game writers. And Blizzard is surely desperate for trustworthy sources, given how much they already screwed up for forgetting details about lore.
    Blizzard using us as a resource would be great. The term "Great War" has been used twice. Kindregan could have used it once because the wiki used the term, but the term was used back in 2000 before Blizzard hired Kindregan.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade
    I sometimes fall into the idea that he might be wrong (as it is normal in a debate). When this happens, I search my archives of books and Blizzard's statements in search for the answer. Then, I post my results and questions.
    I could be wrong. It's one reason I'm working on the wiki actually. I have a very good memory, but it's not perfect. Having the wiki lets me update my memory. And of course other people can contribute to the wiki, taking on my mental weak points, so to speak.

I'm actually happy that people are checking the references. I'd rather have someone say "they got it wrong because they misinterpreted a reference" than "they made it up"
    Last edited by Kimera757; 06-21-2012 at 09:36 PM.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Regarding the Wiki, when it comes to things like biographies and history, sure, it can be unreliable at times. However, when it comes to shit that doesn't matter you can always rely on the unhealthy obsessions of fans (especially Blizzard ones) to anally categorize every facet of the mythos. If that's not enough, you can rely on the tendency for them to pack into angry pitch fork mobs against erroneous statements to be a deterrent.

In short, you can take the wiki to the bank and your gains with be far greater than your losses.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/696..._Now-8_13_2012

Bit of a thread necro, but as it's relevant to the topic...

Anyway, looks like it's indeed an interquel between Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm. I have to wonder at the summary though:

The zerg have lost their queen.

The tyrannical alien-human hybrid that held the Swarm together is gone, and her armies run wild — scattered and diminished. The terrans of the Koprulu sector can now move out from under the shadow of annihilation which has loomed overhead for so long. Only one question remains: where is the Queen of Blades?

Jim Raynor, ex-Dominion marshal and rebel leader, knows the answer. A powerful Xel’Naga artifact has transformed the Queen of Blades back into her original human form: that of Sarah Kerrigan, a woman who is struggling to find some hope — and some humanity — in the shattered memories of her past. But with the Dominion forces of Arcturus Mengsk scouring the star systems for any trace of the deposed queen, Jim is going to need more than his wits, his fists, and his loyal Raiders to keep Sarah alive.

So...Jim was an ex-Dominion marshal? Please let this be a typo.

It also raises a bit of a conondrum in that the summary suggests that the Raiders quickly leave Char, yet HotS has them on the planet. Maybe they end up back on it, hiding under the Dominion's nose or something?

Someone better review this novel.

And it sure as hell isn't going to be me. I wouldn't touch that shit with a 10ft. pole.
    ---

Also, I wish blizzard would just stop calling it starcraft and write a new story. -_-

Or even less shamefully abrupt! Retcon WoL as a spin off! :P
    Last edited by solidsamurai; 08-14-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by solidsamurai View Post
    Someone better review this novel.

And it sure as hell isn't going to be me. I wouldn't touch that shit with a 10ft. pole.
    ---

Also, I wish blizzard would just stop calling it starcraft and write a new story. -_-

Or even less shamefully abrupt! Retcon WoL as a spin off! :P
    So, you're not going to touch it no matter what, yet still want people to review it as consumers? Isn't that kind of redundant?

As for a "new story," I guess you can look forward to Titan then.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawki View Post
    So, you're not going to touch it no matter what, yet still want people to review it as consumers? Isn't that kind of redundant?

As for a "new story," I guess you can look forward to Titan then.
    It's only slightly redundant. Most of it is hypocrisy though, seeing as that's the definition of the word.

And no, I'm not looking forward to Titan.