Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: David Kim Explains the New Units (Video)

The_Blade's Avatar Administrator

Default David Kim Explains the New Units (Video)

Continue discussion here. Original thread suffered collateral damage during the latest bot raid.

VIDEO

Main Argument:

"The Upgrade game", proposed by DS, which goal is to teorycraft on how upgrades should work for the new units in HotS. Please repost your previous ideas.

For me, the widow mine should have its anti-air attack for an upgrade. This will increase the risk of making an investment on the upgrade. Upgrades like Stim and Siege mode are essential for most Terran games and have a small risk when researched. Adding a wider splash damage radius, damage, or faster detonation to the widow mine would reduce to thought behind researching said upgrades.

The War Hound should be able to buy a HP shield after researching an upgrade. This shield is destroyed in battle and must be bought again.
    Last edited by The_Blade; 07-14-2012 at 02:16 PM.

Default Re: David Kim Explains the New Units (Video)

The War Hound should be able to buy a HP shield after researching an upgrade. This shield is destroyed in battle and must be bought again.
    That doesn't sound like Starcraft at all... Starcraft isn't about microing the units out of the battle with low health, I mean, we are talking about Warhounds here, big and slow Mech Warriors, I can't possibly think that it will survive some attack, and that I will have to upgrade the shield for him again(if I have to upgrade it at all).

For me, some sort of Haywire Missile upgrade will do the job. Faster cooldown, or being able to target massive units.
    "Living for the Swarm!"

Yeah I'm not feeling the shield idea either. Part of why I hate the carrier so much is its variable power based on how any Interceptors are alive, and this is basically the same thing. Also, Marines already get the combat shield upgrade so its not as original as I think you were hoping for, Blade.

For the Warhound I'm pretty much set on an increased Haywire attack speed or straight damage upgrade being a better solution.

So I already told you my idea about the Warhound, what would you do to make it viable against Zerg? Or to make it at least good against something.
    "Living for the Swarm!"

The problem is, as long as Widow Mines are effective against Mutalisks, there really isn't any hole left in Terran play for the Warhound to fill, especially in TvZ. I think that possibly changing Haywire missile to attack Armored instead of Mechanical would significantly increase the role of the Warhound without making it too powerful. It would have literally no change in TvT and TvP but gain utility in TvZ by hitting Roaches, Swarm Hosts, and Ultralisks.

Apart that you might start massing Warhounds since they would counter every unit in the terran army apart from marines.

Hellion/Warhound meta?

If warhounds could produce widow mines, you might literally need nothing beyond them. (Do widow mines really belong in the game if the thor is there, at least versus air?)
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    If warhounds could produce widow mines, you might literally need nothing beyond them. (Do widow mines really belong in the game if the thor is there, at least versus air?)
    Thor does like no damage to the armored air units, where Widow Mine does 200. But still, I am a little bit confused about Blizzard's decision to make Widow Mines being able to target air. People talk about Thors being big, and not being able to deal with Mutalisks. To be honest, I don't see any Terran having problems with Mutalisks, even if you are completely unprepared for them, they kill like ~10 SCVs, maybe destroy some reactor/tech lab, and then Marines arrive and repel them.

If you are prepared, adding like 2-3 Turrets before first wave of ~10 Mutas arrives, they will barely do any damage, and it won't be cost-effective for sure, if you want to trade Mutas for Turrets.

But I guess they want to continue the game of hard hard counters, because of Magic Box, Thors don't counter Mutas hard enough. -.-'
    "Living for the Swarm!"

Banned

Well.. I like it that widow mines can target those in the air.. It adds spice to the game.. Enemies are always cautious during attack.

I'm behind the idea of the AA being an upgrade. Then again, I'm also behind the idea of some of the current Zerg upgrades being more expensive... they probably just seem overpowered from the changes they've shown so far, but I want to keep a close eye on it.
    I've fought for the Terran revolution, I've seen the promise of the Protoss, and now I'm ready to join the might of the Swarm...