Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dev update: HotS Multiplayer

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: Dev update: HotS Multiplayer

3. Supplements the Protoss army to fill in gaps in their play, such as needing a better way to deal with Mutalisks.
    There was supposed to be a new ship for just this very purpose. Did they get rid of it?

Quote Originally Posted by TheProgramer View Post
    You and everyone else buddy, don't get to smug.
    Seriously, LOL
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 04-14-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by TychusFindlay View Post
    There was supposed to be a new ship for just this very purpose. Did they get rid of it?
    Are you referring to the Phoenix?

We were discussing how to improve the Tempest, which was Blizzard's solution but according to this update they have essentially converted into a "Carrier without Interceptors." They're still trying to find a better AA option.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

they have essentially converted into a "Carrier without Interceptors." They're still trying to find a better AA option.
    I see. I haven't read the update.

Frankly, these days, I have block-o-text phobia from all 10-K (financial statements) I've been reading. My mistake.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    Well we can't have the Tempest deal no damage... can we? Its a freakin capital ship we're designing here.
    ok let me be fucking clear:

i purpose a one-target attack that draws units arouind the target closer to it, this messing up their formations and movments and creating oportunities to do wonderous things with HT/sentry/archon/colossi

this can work with long range also, compared to if it was a splash attack witch is both a) overlaping with colossi longrange splash and b) necessitating the attacks dps per cast vs single targets being quite weak, resulting in poor utility as an areal siege apparatus - when targeting defensive structures for example.
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Todie View Post
    ok let me be fucking clear:
    Y SO SRS?

i purpose a one-target attack that draws units arouind the target closer to it, this messing up their formations and movments and creating oportunities to do wonderous things with HT/sentry/archon/colossi

this can work with long range also, compared to if it was a splash attack witch is both a) overlaping with colossi longrange splash and b) necessitating the attacks dps per cast vs single targets being quite weak, resulting in poor utility as an areal siege apparatus - when targeting defensive structures for example.
    I'm not sure I'm comfortable giving this unit a weak single target attack. We're trying to make the unit feel as powerful as its tech placement would suggest. The only way I could accept it is if it had a very fast rate of fire, but then it would be planting Vortexes so fast the enemy would have no real way to micro away. And we all know how annoying it is to face Marauder Concussive shot already.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable giving this unit a weak single target attack.
    with a relativistic mindset, its the oposite: if you make the attack splash, you ahve to reduce its dps. lest its broken.

still i geuss i see your point.

there might be a happy middleground. secondary splash perhaps; some 10% of the dps dealt as splash. I can think of some intricate/funky alternatives too but they're too far fetched anyway.

my point stands, a vortex-attack mechanic combined with a dedicated splash attack would synergize so well that it would make the unit too extreme and difficult to balance.
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

with a relativistic mindset, its the oposite: if you make the attack splash, you ahve to reduce its dps. lest its broken.

still i geuss i see your point.

there might be a happy middleground. secondary splash perhaps; some 10% of the dps dealt as splash. I can think of some intricate/funky alternatives too but they're too far fetched anyway.

my point stands, a vortex-attack mechanic combined with a dedicated splash attack would synergize so well that it would make the unit too extreme and difficult to balance.
    I'm gonna have to mull all this over for awhile.

Hmmm, I was thinking, what if the Tempest instead had a melee attack? I could imagine that interior crescent part light up and as it hits a swarm of mutalisk, damage is done to them.

Kudos to Arkceangel for the Terran avatar and sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex06 View Post
    Hmmm, I was thinking, what if the Tempest instead had a melee attack? I could imagine that interior crescent part light up and as it hits a swarm of mutalisk, damage is done to them.
    And how would it hit ground units? I think it wouldn't work.
    "Living for the Swarm!"

Re: The Tempest

Why not just keep the current basic, long range attack and instead supplement it with a energy/cooldown-based ability? One thing that I think would work well for Protoss transitioning away from the Mothership's Archon toilet would be if the Tempest could create a 'capture field' that prevents enemy air units trapped inside from leaving and possibly enemy air units outside from entering. Not sure about the computer processing power needed for something like that but in terms of strategy, its utility would be as follows:

1. Protect bases from fly-by raids by air units.
    2. Create relatively safer landing zones for units to warp-in.
    3. When used singly to trap enemy flyers, forces the opponent to engage the player rather than fly away.
    4. Split enemy groups up.
    5. When used by multiple units at once, effectively immobilise enemy flyers (especially stacks) into small areas that can be hit by AoE.

Re: The Shredder

I think it can be made to work if it was mixed with the 'anti-air spider mine' idea mentioned. Essentially, limit its effect to only hit air units and have it spend energy whilst active. Its function would then be to counter aerial raids and drops. And to reduce the risk of abuse (e.g. by muta-proofing one's base), it could be made such that it damages both, enemy and friendly air units.
    Last edited by mr. peasant; 04-14-2012 at 06:30 PM.