Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Dev update: HotS Multiplayer

Default Re: Dev update: HotS Multiplayer

For the record, I don't think the long range missile is a good idea either. I think TvT tank wars are a problem, but like Mr. peasant said, replacing a long range siege unit with an even longer ranged one isn't the way solve it. The Vikings are actually part of the problem, since thier exceptionally long range makes sieged up tanks difficult to approach from the air as well.
    Last edited by phazonjunkie; 05-02-2012 at 06:17 AM.

So....anybody wanna start theorycrafting WC4?
    "Wait.....no Gzhee-Gzhee.....?.....whu......Why no Ghzhee-Gzhee?!?!?!?!"

RIP - Leslie Nielsen

Quote Originally Posted by Caliban113 View Post
    UnicOrcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Caliban113 View Post
    There will only be two factions, Horde and Alliance (plus NPC factions, which won't appear in the multiplayer).

The game will so more closely resemble Warcraft II and III than WoW.

Yeah, just guessing
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    There will only be two factions, Horde and Alliance (plus NPC factions, which won't appear in the multiplayer).

The game will so more closely resemble Warcraft II and III than WoW.

Yeah, just guessing
    LOL, if anything, there would be more than 6 factions.
    "Living for the Swarm!"

I think the Undead faction (and the Night Elves to an extent) are just to rich to cut them. Or make them a part of the Horde/Alliance.

And honestly, I don't really see the point. Except to make it like WoW. Particularly the Undead as of Cataclysm just have SO MANY potential new units. (Like the Val'kyr) That would be so great to see in an RTS setting.

i think the problem is that blizzard is too reluctant to put in units that work exactly like they want it to but they dont put them in because they were in the original. i.e. corsair worked fine as a splash AA unit and had a interesting ability and was fast. the carrier was a good capital ship, the goliath was fine as AA factory unit and was also a decent ground unit by itself.
    They had the Carrier in the game. They decided to get rid of it. The Goliath is pretty darn straight-forward and dull.

I'll give you the Corsair, I think, but even then... and I don't think the Corsair's ability really fit it, I think it was sort of like the WC3 batrider, where they had two roles they needed/wanted filled (aerial siege capability, anti-air) and they just sort of shoved them together. Not that t wasn't cohesive, but there were better ways of doing it.

I REALLY don't see how those units would fix the problems they're having now.

The Mother of all Queens!

Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
    I think the Undead faction (and the Night Elves to an extent) are just to rich to cut them. Or make them a part of the Horde/Alliance.
    Alas, the Scourge are kind of boring now.

And honestly, I don't really see the point. Except to make it like WoW. Particularly the Undead as of Cataclysm just have SO MANY potential new units. (Like the Val'kyr) That would be so great to see in an RTS setting.
    The Valkyr are an undead unit? For a second, I thought they were a neutral race.

They had the Carrier in the game. They decided to get rid of it. The Goliath is pretty darn straight-forward and dull.

I'll give you the Corsair, I think, but even then... and I don't think the Corsair's ability really fit it, I think it was sort of like the WC3 batrider, where they had two roles they needed/wanted filled (aerial siege capability, anti-air) and they just sort of shoved them together. Not that t wasn't cohesive, but there were better ways of doing it.

I REALLY don't see how those units would fix the problems they're having now.
    I think the old-style gamers (like David Kim) might have banned cool but hard to use units. Dustin Browder does the designing, and Kim recommends dumping ones that don't work competitively.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    Alas, the Scourge are kind of boring now.
    Well I assume we'd be playing as the Forsaken with the next game. (Or Forsaken and Scourge could have different but similar tech trees) Which have LOTS of new toys. Blight, Val'kyr.

The Valkyr are an undead unit? For a second, I thought they were a neutral race.
    Huh? You played through the new Cataclysm Undead zones? The Val'kyr are very prominently allied with the Forsaken now.

I think the old-style gamers (like David Kim) might have banned cool but hard to use units. Dustin Browder does the designing, and Kim recommends dumping ones that don't work competitively.
    Is that a response to what I said? =S

The Mother of all Queens!

Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
    Huh? You played through the new Cataclysm Undead zones? The Val'kyr are very prominently allied with the Forsaken now.
    I've never played World of Warcraft. It's not my kind of game.

Is that a response to what I said? =S
    To someone anyway, about how Blizzard removes all the creative units.

Since blizzard's history of making games always borrows good elements of one game and reuses them in another in some way, I wouldn't be surprised if Diablo 3 inspires new units for Starcraft or the next RTS installment to the Warcraft series.

for example, blizzard and frost orb were token sorcerer skills that are reused as a signature mage spells in warcraft. Burrow that is a trait of zerg was reused for nerubian units...

A lot of skills in Diablo 3 are themselves reincarnations of skills: wizards: mirror image, teleport/ blink, archon.

its a pattern. Hopefully it can stir a bit more creativity into HoTS multiplayer, but I expect some interesting things will prop up in the last starcraft expansion.