Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sc2 vs Sc1 VA comparison

Spartan13's Avatar Junior Member

Default Sc2 vs Sc1 VA comparison

Which one do you think has the better voice acting?
    Leaving the campaign aside and focusing more to unit quotes.

I think Sc1 units(at least most of them that come in mind) have better VA
    Ghosts being my best example.
    But since this is a subjective matter i'd really like to see what the general consensus is.

Sheliek's Avatar Member

Default Re: Sc2 vs Sc1 VA comparison

I was hoping for another huge essay like the review.

It's hit-or-miss, and I'm definitely focusing on campaign since that's where voice-acting actually matters most. Some VAs in Brood War were most definitely better, such as Tassadar or Kerrigan. Both of their actors in Wings of Liberty left something to be desired (though I will admit Kerrigan's unit quotes are well acted and written. I'm very confused as to where that went in the campaign. Either way, I have my hopes up for Swarm because of it), especially Tassadar's. Artanis' voice is about the same to me, in terms of quality, between both games. Zeratul was godly, but I understand and am sad for why that had to change in Liberty.

I think special credit should go to Duran's actor, however. He did an absolutely wonderful job at coming across as slimy and backstabbing, yet still likable. Hopefully his 'North African' voice comes back at some point in the StarCraft II saga.

As for StarCraft II, to be honest, I actually like Zeratul's new voice actor. He has a fitting voice. Really, it's his cheesy lines that bother me so. Kerrigan's new voice actress has potential to do the character justice, as we saw in her unit lines, so I'm not that annoyed at Blizzard's outright douchiness in how they handled the actors leading up to StarCraft II (it's like it was one or the other: 'Oh, you guys want Glynnis? Okay, no Clotworthy though.' 'Boo!' 'Oh, you want Robert Clotworthy? Okay, but we're firing Glynnis Talken-Campbell now.' '...'). There is no excuse for what happened with Tassadar, however. Michael Gough could have easily come in and done one scene of dialogue, mostly because he is in Diablo III.

As for new characters: Tychus Findlay has an amazing voice. His lines are all acted superbly, and the actual tone and quality of the voice itself is stellar. Proof positive that Blizzard knows good acting when they hear it. Tosh was well acted, if stereotypical. Matt Horner's voice fit his character, but was a bit flat at times (though I suppose that fit his role somewhat). Valerian was snobby, but that makes sense.

As for what we've heard of Heart of the Swarm, I really love Izsha's voice, but that is probably just placeholder dialogue, so I don't have much of an attachment for it.
    Last edited by Sheliek; 04-27-2012 at 09:36 AM.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

We definitely needed another topic about this. Thank you TC.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

If my topic is bothering you or you think is against forum rules just report my post.
    Spamming doesn't really change anything now does it?

If my post is bothering you or you think it is against forum rules don't make a topic.
    Bitching doesn't really change anything now does it?

Only one of us is bitching right now and i can tell you for sure that it's not me.

This whole thing never should've gone past my first post. Since I don't want to be the asshole that harasses a new member, let's just drop it.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 04-27-2012 at 07:18 PM.

I like the effects ont he Protoss's voice better in SC1.

Sheliek's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by TychusFindlay View Post
    This whole thing never should've gone past my first post. Since I don't want to be the asshole that harasses a new member, let's just drop it.
    I'm totally that asshole on another forum I frequent. Someone needs to keep the place intellectually pure, like the good old days. Eternal September principle destroys another quality community, it seems.

Overall, Starcraft 1 hands down.

I miss Jack Ritschel (RIP) and Glennis Tolkein so much :'(

But so many, if not all of the original units sound so much better and more fitting in one than in the sequel.

I liked Tosh, Tychus, and Matt's VA's the most in two.