Thread: VALVE and Blizzard face-off over 'DOTA' name.

Default VALVE and Blizzard face-off over 'DOTA' name.

So in case you didn't know, DOTA 2 by VALVE is well into development. VALVE also initiated trademark paperwork for "DOTA" well over a year ago, with Blizzard issuing a PR statement in response. Not much else has occurred, until now.
    Blizzard is now attempting to block VALVE's trademark efforts, with this to say

In contrast to Blizzard, Applicant Valve Corporation ("Valve") has never used the mark DOTA in connection with any product or service that currently is available to the public. By attempting to register the mark DOTA, Valve seeks to appropriate the more than seven years of goodwill that Blizzard has developed in the mark DOTA and in
    its Warcraft III computer game and take for itself a name that has come to signify the product of years of time and energy expended by Blizzard and by fans of Warcraft III. Valve has no right to the registration it seeks. If such registration is issued, it not only will damage Blizzard, but also the legions of Blizzard fans that have worked for years
    with Blizzard and its products, including by causing consumers to falsely believe that Valve's products are affiliated, sponsored or endorsed by Blizzard and are related or connected to Warcraft III.
    -Blizzard
    Source: http://kotaku.com/5883938/blizzard-a...over-dota-name

Although Blizzard has a bit of an edge on this with the goodwill crap, it's a pretty weak argument from a legal standpoint. I know the editors state that the EULA = all materials created by you are the property of Blizzard , but who takes EULA's seriously? Who really does own "DOTA"? IceFrog is simply an editor, and likewise with the previous editor. The name, as far as I can remember, was really born out of the community.

Lastly, I always thought it was a douchey move by Valve to trademark it. On that note, from what I read on the forums and his "jumping boat" antics, IceFrog (the DOTA Editor and now Valve employee) is an ass. I do not know how does VALVE work, but I do know Gabe Newell lets it run in a rather "organic" state, as no one in VALVE formally reports to anyone. It's like the Xavier school for game developers from what people have coined it as. Anyways, I have some strange feeling that even if this block fails, the amount of bad PR this will generate will screw over VALVE's DOTA.

So what do you guys think?
    Last edited by hyde; 02-12-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dustinbrowder View Post
    You are very weird man. Have you no logic?
    And again you had to be pretty big noob about PC not to know about the change, I mean even the birds on the trees knew about it.

...Its like calling throwing stone an athletic competition. Get a grip man and don't write nonsense...
    Shot put anyone?

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Default Re: VALVE and Blizzard face-off over 'DOTA' name.

Blizzard should have probably spoke up when they registered the trademark, not now when the game is closer to getting released. Kind of a dick move on their part.

Either way, Valve is clearly in the wrong on this one.

However, Blizzard did speak up at the time; as linked in the article. Blizzard did not file for a competing trademark at the time because there was already one made by a third party touting to represent the interests of the DotA: Allstars community. Saying that they disagreed with Valve's actions was the most Blizzard could do until the trademark was published for opposition - which was exactly what they did once the option was available.

A potential problem is that due to the slow-moving and procedural nature of the process, journalists can easily cast a villainous light on Blizzard for only now taking legal action so late in Dota 2's development cycle. However, based on my understanding of US trademark laws (and I will admit that I'm no expert), that option has only recently become available.

Personally, I think Valve was in the wrong for approaching Icefrog (or vice versa) to create Dota 2, as opposed to a new title (as done by Riot Games and Guinsoo with League of Legends). The worst part of it is that from what I hear, nothing really new has been done with gameplay and the biggest change is prettier graphics. This, to me, really strikes as Valve trying to steal the name away from the Blizzard/WC3 community.

Sheliek's Avatar Member

Who takes the EULA seriously? The law for one.

It's so different in a starcraft forum and a dota forum.
    I'm puzzled, I want Blizzard to win whatever is going on. But I don't want anything to happen with dota 2. (which I doubt will happen)

Quote Originally Posted by Muspelli View Post
    Who takes the EULA seriously? The law for one.
    Not true, and in the case of Blizzard's world editor EULA, I highly doubt it.
    Without copy/pasting a huge article, US Court precedence has cases for/against EULA and depending what court. Also it depends on the situation and what the EULA is about.

Anyways, the name "DOTA" was hardly "created" by their world editor, that EULA would have no bearing on this matter I think.

Quote Originally Posted by dustinbrowder View Post
    You are very weird man. Have you no logic?
    And again you had to be pretty big noob about PC not to know about the change, I mean even the birds on the trees knew about it.

...Its like calling throwing stone an athletic competition. Get a grip man and don't write nonsense...
    Shot put anyone?