Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Why the SC2 Story Was a Disappointment

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Default Re: Why the SC2 Story Was a Disappointment

WoL should have been from the perspective of Valerian. We wouldn't have been shoehorned into experiencing everything from the perspective of one battlecruiser, and we wouldn't have to put up with the absurdities of Raynor face-stomping every faction he came across despite his incredibly small army.

We could have fought back the swarm and influenced galactic events. We could have searched for the artifact since the moebius foundation reported directly to us. And we still could have worked with Raynor at the end since not including Metzen's favorite character would be an atrocity.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthYam View Post
    In the moment that he uses that bullet on Tychus he transcends that hatred; by wasting the bullet to save Kerrigan (the one who will rise to defeat the Dark Voice) he put the fate of the universe above his petty vengeance. He has proven fully that he is not Mengsk, and he has regained the fire he lost years ago.
    I thought he wasted his last bullet on the TV in JoeyRay's bar. :P

i think it was a different revolver. The bullet was the one he swore was for mengsk.

i think it was a different revolver.
    o.O If only some of the stuff in WoL can be so easily explained with a "handwave" like that...

Besides, why does Raynor even only have one bullet in his revolver? They surely can't be that hard to make!
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

That far in the future? Maybe. But in Raynor's case, having one bullet was symbolic. He was, after all, carrying a rifle with a lot more bullets.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    That far in the future? Maybe.
    I find that hard to believe given the likes of Stetman and Swann among Raynor's crew, the militant and rustic ingenuity of Raynor himself as well as the concept being relatively simple (a bullet, casing, gunpowder and priming cap). It would really be child's play for them to make more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    But in Raynor's case, having one bullet was symbolic. He was, after all, carrying a rifle with a lot more bullets.
    That's the thing, ultimately symbolic of what and for whom exactly?

DarthYam mentioned that wasting his bullet on Tychus was to symbolise Raynor letting go of his hatred and putting the fate of the universe above his personal need for vengeance. I'm actually all for that interpretation but the thing that irks me is that it is used in a very blatant way - an 'on-the-nose' literary technique.

The "single bullet gun" concept seems to have more of a meaningful purpose (regarding Raynor's character) for the audience (you) whereas 'in-universe', it doesn't particularly ring true for Raynor. You've already mentioned that Raynor has access to many other guns and bullets with which to kill Mengsk - would it be any different for Raynor to kill him with any other gun or through any other means?

We are also presented with the inexplicable reason why Raynor keeps that particular revolver with that one bullet just for Mengsk. Sure, Mengsk deserves to die but how does this explain Raynor's ritualistic behaviour of "keeping an old revolver with one bullet" in going about it? Is it because he just wants to, it's fun, he's a latent nutcase or because the writers just wrote it like that? I sense more of the latter.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's a little too "try-hard" if you catch my drift and immersion breaking because you're suddenly made self-aware that the universe is fake.

(Yes, I know it's hard to believe, but Starcraft is not the actual future chronicle of our people )
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

i think it was a different revolver. The bullet was the one he swore was for mengsk.
    But this is why the "Raynor symbolically transcends his hatred by using his last bullet" idea is really nothing that ever occurred to me on any of my playthroughs. And I can't speak for other people, but it's probably the case with them as well. Raynor clearly has an affection for antiques like Dugalle did, the jukebox and its vinyl player for example.

What if Mengsk walked into JoeyRay's bar? Isn't that one bullet something that he should be keeping with himself at all times to symbolize his constant goal of hunting down Mengsk? I hate to think what would happen to Raynor's morale should he waste his one bullet on a TV or a blonde Mengsk look-a-like, let alone actually miss Mengsk when he does get to him. :P
    Last edited by Gradius; 04-09-2012 at 10:06 AM.

General response here:

Well, revolvers are pretty much antiques by today's standards, let alone
    being actually made half a millenium from now. Kind of wonder whether Raynor's steadily running out of bullets-he used his revolver in the comic, and against the TV, so maybe he only had one bullet left by the time his supposed opportunity came. Meh. I'll readily admit it's a weakness in the story, but not too glaring a one.

As for transcending his hatred by using the bullet on Tychus...it could work. I think it's possible to find themes in any piece of fiction, and I don't want to overblow it, but the divide between justice and revenge has been brought up many times in the series. If Raynor shooting Tychus is symbolic of anything though, I think it would be 'love overcomes x'/sacrifices must be made for the greater good, etc. But again, I'm wary of stating outright that something has themes. Partly because it's down to interpretation, partly because I'm wary of giving any one media too much praise.

And no, I don't think many people can look at StarCraft and say, 'this is what the future will be like.' While I think it can be classified as sci-fi rather than science fantasy (closer to that than some other medias though), I'll readily admit that it's soft sci-fi. And that's fair enough. I can like Star Wars along with Star Trek for example, even if they're pretty much on opposite ends of the genre spectrum IMO.

I am pretty sure the revolver and having one bullet left is supposed to be an allusion to westerns as SC has a Space Western aesthetic which has only been increased because of Firefly. As for shooting the TV, well it is "cool" and is supposed to be demonstrate his redneck cool loner alcoholism I guess.

Does anyone have any evidence that James Phinney's absence has been detrimental to SC? Does anyone know what Phinney actually contributed to SC?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentian View Post
    Does anyone have any evidence that James Phinney's absence has been detrimental to SC? Does anyone know what Phinney actually contributed to SC?
    It's mainly the fact that BW introduced crystals & artifacts, and also had characters undergo plot-induced stupidity in order to make Kerrigan look good.