View Poll Results: How is Blizzard DotA shaping up?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love it!

14 42.42%
  • Neutral

14 42.42%
  • Thumbs down

2 6.06%
  • I can't make up my mind

3 9.09%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blizzard DotA Discussion

Default Blizzard DotA Discussion

I'm surprised no one's posted a thread to discuss the details revealed during the two mod panels from this year's Blizzcon. Hence, I figure it might as well be me. So far, videos of the panels can be found here and here, with SC:Legacy's write-up on it can be found here. Also, just to be clear, I wasn't at Blizzcon and so have yet had a chance to actually see the game first hand, let alone play it. So, everything I say here is based purely on observation and speculation, and could very well be utter bull crap.

Now that that's out of the way, one of the things mentioned was that there are 16 heroes in the current build. The one version available at Blizzcon featured 12 of them - namely Arthas, Stitches, Muradin, Uther, Thrall, Tassadar, Nova, Kerrigan, Zeratul, Warfield, Za'Gara and the Witchdoctor. Based on what was shown and talked about, I suspect the remaining heroes to be Illidan, Sylvanas, Murloc Marine and either the Blademaster or the Goblin Tinker (depending whether they included him in the 16 they talked about). Personally, my money is on the latter with the roles being as follows:

Illidan - tank
    Sylvanas - siege
    Murloc Marine - DPS
    Goblin Tinker - support

If true, I have to say that the roster might be a little Warcraft heavy (9 1/2 heroes), with a very poor showing by the Diablo franchise (a mere 1 hero). Which at first seems strange seeing as how Diablo III is Blizzard's next big project. But on the other hand, revealing the identities of its 'iconic characters' at this point might be too spoiler-ish.

Going back to the roster above, excluding the speculated heroes, I've noticed a franchise divide in the allocation of heroes between the various hero types. More specifically, Warcraft characters tend to dominate the tank and support roles while Starcraft characters tend to feature in DPS and siege roles. Ideally, I would have preferred to see the characters distributed more evenly.

Another thing the developers talked about was trying to fuse the worlds together. Regarding this, there is visibly a lot of incorporation of Starcraft's futuristic setting with the Warcraft characters/units but not much of vice versa, and even less influence from Diablo. This, coupled with the Warcraft-heavy roster and creeps unfortunately makes Blizzard DotA feel more like Warcraft DotA. Perhaps, subsequent versions will manage to bring more Starcraft and (more pressingly) Diablo heroes into the fold.

But while we're on the topic of fusing influences, how can this be improved? One thing that I think would be pretty cool (and could see happening) is them making Illidan's demon form be Diablo (instead of some generic demon). Another would be to give Tassadar Medivh's outfit (either as the default or as an alternate model) as a subtle nod to the fact they play similar roles in their respective stories - as prophetic spirits. Another, if somewhat slightly barbaric and/or out of character, idea would be for Warfield's Siege Tank to be decked out with dragon and/or orc skulls.

Speaking of Warfield, unless it's something that comes up in HotS, I think it's pretty clear that (in light of the Siege Tank) he is pretty much a nicer, less douchey version of Edmund Duke (which raises the question why isn't he the Siege Tank driver?). But that's straying off-topic and a discussion for another day.

Well, that's all I have to say for now. Anyone else like to share their thoughts on DotA? How else can Blizzard better integrate the various universes? Anyone who's played care to drop their two cents on the game?
    Last edited by mr. peasant; 10-27-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Default Re: Blizzard DotA Discussion

I think it's a pretty cool idea to have all the blizz heroes and villains duking each other, but I wish blizz would change the name dota to something else...it's too "commercialized" (even though it's free)
    Find Humanity ... Assimilate ... Learn ... Evolve.

ve come to surrender to the notion of this type of game having ist worth. though i refuse to ever pick up LoL etc..

.. i think its cool that blizzard are making their own and i bet tis less likely to lag as badly as Sotis frequrntly does (ive given up on playing it completely becasue of that)

.. on the otehr hand, blizz had a similar project for a wc3 map that was Dota style, adn although creative, i dont think it ever meassured up to DotA popularity.

its by no emans sth that gets me excited, but ill probably play it off and on once released.
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

I think it looks pretty fun. I'll definitely play it a fair amount. Will I play it as much as say, LoL? I doubt it, but I am interested if they'll leave it 'open' so people can tweak it... I'd love to see a Hero Arena with all the Blizz DotA champs.
    I've fought for the Terran revolution, I've seen the promise of the Protoss, and now I'm ready to join the might of the Swarm...

Sheliek's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alar View Post
    I think it looks pretty fun. I'll definitely play it a fair amount. Will I play it as much as say, LoL? I doubt it, but I am interested if they'll leave it 'open' so people can tweak it... I'd love to see a Hero Arena with all the Blizz DotA champs.
    Some of the prospective heroes have me excited. Fenix? If he's in a dragoon, that model will be used in customs.

Duckyyy's Avatar Junior Member

Illidan a tank ?!? wth....he should be DPS

Quote Originally Posted by SoFool View Post
    I think it's a pretty cool idea to have all the blizz heroes and villains duking each other, but I wish blizz would change the name dota to something else...it's too "commercialized" (even though it's free)
    I think it has to do with name recognition. Besides, 'Dota' (as opposed to DotA) gets treated as a genre these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspelli View Post
    Some of the prospective heroes have me excited. Fenix? If he's in a dragoon, that model will be used in customs.
    Unfortunately, I don't think Fenix is a lock at the moment. Though, I assume we will eventually see an official dragoon model by the time Legacy of the Void rolls out. So, there's always that.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyyy View Post
    Illidan a tank ?!? wth....he should be DPS
    It was based on my speculated list of heroes, and the assumption that there would be 4 heroes for each hero type (akin to the demo, which had 3 of each type). Of the four heroes identified, Illidan best suited the tank role.

Sheliek's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't think Fenix is a lock at the moment. Though, I assume we will eventually see an official dragoon model by the time Legacy of the Void rolls out. So, there's always that.
    Indeed. But any extra models we can get our hands on is a plus. A regular dragoon plus a hero one would be very nice.

I know it's not a lock, but hey. Worth hoping for.

It looks better than dota 2 imo but I'm not a fan of those kind of games. I think they're pretty unbalanced.

If they're gonna make Blizzard's characters duke it out, I'd rather see them make a fighting game.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    It looks better than dota 2 imo but I'm not a fan of those kind of games. I think they're pretty unbalanced.

If they're gonna make Blizzard's characters duke it out, I'd rather see them make a fighting game.
    Like a Blizzard version of Super Smash Bros.?