Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: StarCraft: Ghost: Spectres teasers

Default Re: StarCraft: Ghost: Spectres teasers

Quote Originally Posted by l33telboi View Post
    Just finished it and the novel is quite good. A worthy addition to the Starcraft continuity. It wasn't overwhelmingly well written, but the story clicked on all levels. No continuity errors that I spotted, all characters captured perfectly, lots of action, and it bridged the gap between the Starcraft Ghost Academy series and Starcraft II perfectly. It explains why Tosh and Nova are at each others throats, and it explains how Tosh went from 'I love the Dominion' to 'I'll do anything to destroy Mengsk'. It also explains why he's nuts in Starcraft II (he literally is) but not in the Ghost Academy Series.

There are a few welcomed appearances from other characters: Kath Toom, Lio Travsky, Dylanna a few mentions of Delta. It also gives some nice insights into what would’ve been in the missing Ghost Academy issues. Sounds like the series just stopped when the good stuff started happening, as is usual.
    I agree.

I'll be interviewing Nate Kenyon in a few hours. Anyone have any burning questions?

~LoA
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Beloved.

Is he planning on writing more Starcraft related stuff is probably a natural one.

Oh, and how big was Gehenna Station supposed to be.

I haven't seen any new material regarding Spectres, so I thought I'd throw my two-cents out there. Spoilers ahead.

I just finished reading it, and agree with Leetleboi. The characterization and plot were pretty good, but in terms of prose it read like a decent fan-fiction. Which, technically, it is.

I definitely enjoyed how Tosh has become a surprisingly complex character. He seems to have stabilized in Wings of Liberty since the events of this book (perhaps he's finally placed a greater emphasis on Jorium intake?), but some of the implications and events are pretty scary. His mind's become a complex, ever-changing labyrinthe. Even so, he oscillates between good and bad, and genuinely believes that, while his immediate actions may be evil, he fights for a better world. His voice actor once said Tosh somewhere, deep down, that he has a heart of gold. And that may well be true -- from a certain point of view. And I make that reference because of the "guiding forces" surrounding him, the existence of which raises even more questions. The very transformation of his personality is engaging, but the explanation behind his new persona in WoL is very unsettling.

As I was reading, it seemed there may be a clear connection between Terrazine and the Sundrop from the Dark Templar Saga. The Tal'darim from Wings of Liberty seem disconnected from the Khala and make use of Khalai technology as readily as Dark Templar technology. Might Sundrop be a derivative of Terrazine? This could help explain their continued hatred of the Dark Templar while still using their technology.

One of the reasons I got this book in the first place was because of Cole Bennett. He was described as a chameleon of sorts, and I thought therer was a connection between him and Samir Duran. Having read the book now, I somehow doubt it, but some interesting parallels exist between the two. All evidence implies he is simply a gifted terran with no aspirations beyond total domination of Terran space.
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 11-03-2011 at 03:28 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Way too late for this, but after overcoming real-life issues I can finally writeabout this on the wiki.

Most of the spectres would have been much stronger than portrayed in game. They got killed off, and only six resocialized marines (starting PI average, so not psychic) were retrieved by Tosh. In Ghost of a Chance, there were only six spectres.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Interesting. Maybe we'll see why Tosh hates Mengsk so much.

PS: I still haven't been able to find what this image is from.
    It looks like SUPER IMPORTANT AND POWERFUL ZEALOT (IMPORTANT BECAUSE HE'S MIGHTY AND HAS A BIG DICK (metaphorical if protoss don't have junk), otherwise he's boring) arriving in a drop pod to face off against super giga mega nesbitt from yu gi oh abridged episode 51: the death of tristan.

That's what it looks like.

(starting PI average, so not psychic)
    You're implying PI grows? When was that canon?

All evidence implies he is simply a gifted terran with no aspirations beyond total domination of Terran space.
    So like several other terran characters. Surely this one is unique and worthy of special mention. -_-

Oh...so that's why Tosh considers Raynor to be such a kindred spirit, they were both betrayed by Mengsk over a WOMAN!
    And yet many men have been betrayed by women. Is StarCraft a metaphor for divorce rates in America?

Ghost of a Chance
    Christ, Yu Gi Oh abridged made fun of the use of that pun, didn't they?
    Last edited by solidsamurai; 11-23-2011 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by solidsamurai View Post
    You're implying PI grows? When was that canon?
    It can increase when exposed to a substance whose primary plot ability is making you a stronger psychic.

Kath Toom was the best example. Her original PI was 6.5, not high enough for telekinesis. After exposure to terrazine she became a telekinetic. Jackson Hauler also pointed out his PI increased (from 8.5 to an unspecified level) due to terrazine exposure, and most characters exposed to it see a PI increase of approximately 1.

With the help of the indoctrinator, it seems to go from "average" (0-2) to almost ghost level (roughly a 5).
    Last edited by Kimera757; 11-24-2011 at 07:34 PM.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    Horace Warfield also pointed out his PI increased (from 8.5 to an unspecified level)
    Wait...so Warfield has always been a powerful psychic?
    Last edited by Laurentian; 11-23-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentian View Post
    Of course! How else could he have laid low a hydralisk with a single punch without some sort of psychic-powered assistance?
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Super giga mega nesbitt. Doo-doo-doo-doo-doo.... super giga mega nesbitt. Doo-doo-doo-doo-doo... super giga mega nesbitt... !

Theme music battle.

Sheliek's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentian View Post
    I didn't even know he was psychic.