Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Congress wants to make streaming a felon!

TheStigma's Avatar Junior Member

Default Congress wants to make streaming a felon!

From Game Informer:

The U.S. Senate is considering a bill that could have far-reaching implications for users of YouTube and other streaming-video sites, including fans and producers of “let’s play” style game videos. Senate bill S.978 would change the way copyright laws are enforced online, adding the possibility of criminal penalties, including jail time, for people who stream copyrighted material without prior authorization.

The bill, sponsored by Minnesota Democrat Amy Klobuchar, would make unauthorized streaming of copyrighted content a felony. People who stream content valued at $2,500 or more online 10 or more times during a 180-day period face up to five years in prison. The bill, which can be read here, http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...?bill=s112-978, is broadly worded. As Shoryuken points out in a great editorial, the current version of the bill could include such YouTube staples as kids lip-synching to popular music or even karaoke performances in a bar. More troubling is the possibility that the act of embedding someone else’s video onto a page could be considered a violation, according to the bill.

Copyright holders currently have legal means to pull unauthorized content from sites, including cease and desist orders and fines. The thought of adding criminal penalties to these cases, including jail time, is a new spin on the issue.

If you’re upset by the legislation and would like to make your voice heard, Demand Progress has made it easy to voice your displeasure to the powers that be.

http://act.demandprogress.org/letter...hVZPC&rd=1&t=1

I suggest everyone to send a letter telling them to stop this. Send as any as possible!
    Last edited by TheStigma; 07-02-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: adding a missing link

Default Re: Congress wants to make streaming a felon!

Moved to off-topic.

Don't these government lackeys have more important things to do like, oh I dunno, save the fucking economy?

TheStigma's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    Moved to off-topic.
    <.< Whoops. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    Don't these government lackeys have more important things to do like, oh I dunno, save the fucking economy?
    Don't you see.....they'll generate revenue off fines.

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/263528/1/JHammer/

For people of the opinion "I completely will never pay for anything" but still wanting to watch GSL VODs....PM me. (Hint: Sharing is caring)

If you're making an account just to PM me.....don't waste your time.

Quote Originally Posted by JackhammerIV View Post
    Don't you see.....they'll generate revenue off fines.
    The bill isn't about just fines, though. Its about putting people in jail for it. Putting people in jail can not be good for the economy.
    Last edited by DemolitionSquid; 07-03-2011 at 11:40 AM.

So only people with permissions from the owner can stream footage of a game...

Umm I was looking at a thread here about some commentators on Youtube that give honest reviews on videogames.

You can imagine only the big companies like IGN will get the permission to stream. Hmm...so convenient that those companies also are the ones that overrate 'certain' games.

Guess we won't get honest reviews on the internet anymore...

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Blizzard will just give permission to everyone. Just like how anyone can upload SC2 gameplay footage on YT.

But yeah the bill sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Blizzard will just give permission to everyone. Just like how anyone can upload SC2 gameplay footage on YT.

But yeah the bill sucks.
    Or Blizzard will charge a "streaming fee" and take a cut of ad revenue from viewers. It sounds like a business decision in that regard. They can only make money off it.

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/263528/1/JHammer/

For people of the opinion "I completely will never pay for anything" but still wanting to watch GSL VODs....PM me. (Hint: Sharing is caring)

If you're making an account just to PM me.....don't waste your time.

This bill won't ever pass, at least. Still, I'm glad I live in a country sane enough to never even suggest this kind of lunacy.