Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: StarCraft: Secret Missions novel

Default StarCraft: Secret Missions novel

A new novel, StarCraft: Secret Missions, is being released in April 2012. It's by Christie Golden. It's a 320 page hardcover, so the same size as Devils' Due.l

Source: http://books.simonandschuster.com/St.../9781451659627

Alas, that's all the info we're given.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Eivind's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: StarCraft: Secret Missions novel

Woah, nice find.

Is it "secret missions" as Piercing the Shroud and Dark Origins, or is it just refering to covert ops? The timing and the fact that Golden wrote the DT trilogy means it can be the kind of book that is not just detailing side stories that doesn't have relevance to the overall plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Eivind View Post
    Woah, nice find.

Is it "secret missions" as Piercing the Shroud and Dark Origins, or is it just refering to covert ops?
    I dunno, there's no info beyond what's on that page. Medievaldragon thinks it will be released at the same time as Heart of the Swarm (doubtful) or will be somehow relevant to it (you never know).

The timing and the fact that Golden wrote the DT trilogy means it can be the kind of book that is not just detailing side stories that doesn't have relevance to the overall plot.
    Golden is one of the few authors to mention Duran in a book (the other is Graham McNeill).
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Quote Originally Posted by Eivind View Post
    Woah, nice find.

Is it "secret missions" as Piercing the Shroud and Dark Origins, or is it just refering to covert ops?
    I don't think so. Otherwise, it would have been more obviously titled to make the connection. Rather, I suspect it's more likely a Ghost-themed covert-ops novel; possibly one that ties with Heart of the Swarm.

More info!

The Queen of Blades is gone. On the hellish planet Char, Jim Raynor harnessed the power of an ancient Xel’Naga artifact in a desperate bid to stop the zerg Swarm from overrunning the Koprulu sector, and the relic restored Sarah Kerrigan to her human form. Without their queen to guide and unify them, the Swarm has fractured into several broods scattered throughout the Koprulu sector. One of the greatest threats to the galaxy has been neutralized...or so it seems.

Sarah Kerrigan is on the loose. Even without the terrible powers of the Queen of Blades or the might of the Swarm at her command, the former Ghost remains a foe not to be taken lightly. But if the artifact really did set her free, then why is Kerrigan seeking out zerg broods scattered throughout the Koprulu sector? Is she still pursuing her quest for vengeance, or has her transformation given Kerrigan a new purpose? Just who is Sarah Kerrigan?
    Yes, that's word for word the Heart of the Swarm intro info.

But it's here: http://catalog.simonandschuster.com/...nd=warcraft&a=

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

This is cool, but brood war hasn't really been novelized yet and they're doing WoL already?

I guess brood war was retconned.

The_Blade's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    This is cool, but brood war hasn't really been novelized yet and they're doing WoL already?

I guess brood war was retconned.
    What Brood War?

I believe this might be a prelude to Heart of the Swarm. For some odd reason I believe Nova will be the main character again and Mengsk's operations while Valerian and Raynor teamed up will be the theme.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Blade View Post
    What Brood War?
    I see what you did there
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Well, Blizzard does plan to novelize Brood War at some point...or did back in 2007.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'm inclined to believe the S&S summary is an error of some kind. I can't help but shake the belief that it's due to game secret missions such as Dark Origin. Maybe they'll be linked somehow into some cohesive narrative. Doubt they'll be numerous short stories, as usually one would have multiple authors working on the project.

Zeraszana's Avatar Junior Member

hm...maybe it will show us just how much dear arty knew about valerians and raynors operations before and on char...it'll be cool to see how much of a sneaky bastard he really is
    Can't figure if Zeratul is trolling or...