Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oriental culture in the starcraft universe

Default Oriental culture in the starcraft universe

Are there traces in the tradition (novels) of Asian cultural aspects?

Default Re: Oriental culture in the starcraft universe

Quote Originally Posted by drakolobo View Post
    Are there traces in the tradition (novels) of Asian cultural aspects?
    Valerian Mengsk apparently has some affinity for ancient Japanese culture, as indicated in 'Firstborn'. Beyond that I'm not sure.

Apart from Valerian's swordplay, off the top of my head, a Japanese bistro is mentioned in Nova, Hartly, in addition to teaching martial arts (think karate specifically) has a Japanese proverb he keeps citing (Nana korobi, yaoki-Seven times fall down, eight times get up) and Ghengis Khan's empire is cited as one of the most innovative in Earth's history by Soohoo's history/propaganda lessons. Also recall Asian writing being spotted in concept art and I think in some marine profiles in WoL. Also remember Nova getting her history mixed up, thinking the Germans used kamikaze bombers in WWII rather than the Japanese

And yes, this is off the top of my head.
    Last edited by Hawki; 07-19-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

We've also got Somo Hung from SC: Uprising, who had a soft spot for Kerrigan. :P

Somo Hung, Jin-ho Lim and some other characters look Oriental and have Oriental names, but aren't otherwise different from other characters.

I suppose that far in the future, that far from Earth with no contact, that no Earth-based culture is likely to survive. Any ethnic groups would vanish, with new ethnicity being based on your planet of origin instead.

There's a few (eg the religious people on Bountiful from Speed of Darkness) who have managed to retain some culture, but only by isolating themselves as best as they could from the rest of the terrans. (And the culture of Bountiful might only exist in one character's mind, though it's kind of odd to resocialize a marine with "thou shalt not kill", if you ask me.)

Also, the people of Haji seem to speak with Jamaican accents and believe in a religion found in Haiti. I don't know if most are black though.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Zeraszana's Avatar Junior Member

maybe not oriental but Tosh is big for voodoo and has that kinda accent (dunno how to describe it),master Myamoto (the martial arts teacher) and from the UED you have Alexi and his votka (and the russian accent) - if we talk about ''cultural differences'', and you got those fanatics for religion around saint pelagius (? something around that name)
    and the rest mentioned above
    (if we take the whole SC universe)
    Can't figure if Zeratul is trolling or...

The_Blade's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Zeraszana View Post
    Tosh is big for voodoo
    I just don't care. Blizzard made fun of StarCraf's lore with this idiotic move of comedy. They COULD have explained or approached the manipulation of beings through telekinesis, but they had to go straight with the voodoo.

Zeraszana's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by The_Blade View Post
    I just don't care. Blizzard made fun of StarCraf's lore with this idiotic move of comedy. They COULD have explained or approached the manipulation of beings through telekinesis, but they had to go straight with the voodoo.
    well actually they said that his grandmother thought that he had great voodoo powers but that it was in fact his psionic power that enabled him to do all of those stuff.
    Can't figure if Zeratul is trolling or...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeraszana View Post
    well actually they said that his grandmother thought that he had great voodoo powers but that it was in fact his psionic power that enabled him to do all of those stuff.
    He said as much in Ghost Academy, but by Wings of Liberty he'd been driven mad by, well, up to three different things. I think by WoL he actually believes his power is voodoo. (No big deal as long as it works. It did, just not the right target.)
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

The_Blade's Avatar Administrator

It's nice to know that. I need to read Ghost Academy soon, then.