Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Clunky dialogue to continue in HotS?

Default Re: Clunky dialogue to continue in HotS?

Well what really happened was Blizzard's badasses left the company to make riches for themselves and they were left with Blizzard's fat asses

I've been prepping myself to deeply understand HotS's story and dialogue by lurking 4Chan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Fleet of the Executor > Golden Armada

Fleet of the Executor is a badass name for a fleet and you know you are truly fucked when these guys warp in. You get the vibe that there is a Protoss executioner coming to cut off your head with a psi-blade or psi-guillotine, and that he brought an entire fleet to help. No he's not coming to fight you, because it's not going to be a fight, you are simply going to be executed, not unlike a chicken or a hog.

But Golden Armada sounds like it's made of protoss sissies, which I guess describes the SC2 protoss well. They can't even survive a little cold temperature and need to turn on their shields whenever a breeze blows through, f*** that.
    Actually, I find it rather fitting. It's exactly the sort of pretentious name that they would use. Remember, this is a species which got curbstomped on their capitol world twice due to their own shortsightedness and petty bickering. This is a species that couldn't kill a madwoman and her private army, even with two other Terran factions holding her down. And from the looks of things, they're still so far from recovering their old 'glory', they still lost one of their most magnificent warships to a petty rebel using guerrilla tactics.

So, yeah. "Golden Armada" is perfect for a species that's living in denial and fetid ruins, daydreaming about an era of power and glory that, from the looks of it, is as imaginary as a Sentry's hallucinations.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
    And I think quibbling over stuff like the names of their armies and the way they refer to each other is the least of the dialogue's problems. There's just no passion to anything. There's no dark romanticism. It's all tongue in cheek jokes. There isn't a single conversation in the game that isn't some joke-y kick in the balls to somebody.
    +1

When they do try to incorporate some passion in the dialogue it comes off with the subtlety and grace of a sledgehammer at best and terribly bland at worst.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Don't think HOTS and LOTV will have a lot of tongue in cheek jokes though, since the zerg and protoss are not really good vehicle for that sort of humour (well we did see the Dark Voice quoting the A-Team...). Perhaps that's why they filled WOL with so many of them? Not sure if the lack of humour in HOTS and LOTV will benefit them (more serious and dark) or make the whole game look really schizophrenic.

Also I'm not sure I'm gonna want to sit through 20 missions of Kerrigan and cohorts sounding...so flat and emotionless? It's alien I guess, just not something I really want to listen for a long period of time? Perhaps this demonstates that the Trilogy might not have been such a good idea?

I imagine the Protoss Golden Armada will face the same fate as the Spanish one, so yet another loss for the beleaguered Protoss (how come they aren't extinct yet?).
    Last edited by Laurentian; 09-05-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentian View Post
    Don't think HOTS and LOTV will have a lot of tongue in cheek jokes though, since the zerg and protoss are not really good vehicle for that sort of humour (well we did see the Dark Voice quoting the A-Team...). Perhaps that's why they filled WOL with so many of them? Not sure if the lack of humour in HOTS and LOTV will benefit them (more serious and dark) or make the whole game look really schizophrenic.

Also I'm not sure I'm gonna want to sit through 20 missions of Kerrigan and cohorts sounding...so flat and emotionless? It's alien I guess, just not something I really want to listen for a long period of time? Perhaps this demonstates that the Trilogy might not have been such a good idea?

I imagine the Protoss Golden Armada will face the same fate as the Spanish one, so yet another loss for the beleaguered Protoss (how come they aren't extinct yet?).
    Somehow the entirety of the zerg campaigns in sc1 turned out really kick ass dispite being alien. So that's not a good excuse for flat and emotionless.
    throughout all of sc1 I really felt like I was soaking in the culture of every race as I played the game. It was all fascinating to learn more about. Now...I could care less about pretty much anything when it comes to the games story.

Everything I loved about the races has been ripped from me. (the sheer horror of what the Overmind was all about was just so hardcore.)
    And now he was a noble creature? lame... Kerrigan was an evil queen, now she's emo and wants to embrace the end of the universe? lame...

Raynor promised to kill kerrigan and now he's sure that it was the evil zerg who made her do it and he's really loved her all along? lame...

The protoss were warrior poets who knew a ton of stuff about how to be awesome and talk with authority and power. Now they talk like idiots (friend raynor...) and can't do much of anything to save themselves. Lame...

I'm all for an almost extinct race of protoss where they have to do everything they can to survive, but at least be creative and intelligent about it. Also some protoss seem to have memory problems when it comes to what they've been doing for the last 4 years! Zeratul responded like he hadn't been searching for clues about the hybrids for a long ass time when he saw them in WOL. Lame...
    Drink Zealot Powerade!
    Nothing gets your Psionic powers flowing like Zealot Powerade!