Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clunky dialogue to continue in HotS?

Default Clunky dialogue to continue in HotS?

Everyone's going to hate me for this since I'm going to start the first HotS 'nit-pick, haters and flamebait' topic over nothing (which I apologise in advance for), but here goes...

Here's a snippet of one of the mission speeches provided by SCLegacy in amongst their coverage:

Protoss Templar: The Queen of Blades! But you are so weakened! What has happened to you? Protoss! We must inform Shakuras. They will send the Golden Armada – they will destroy you!
    Yes, I know the following is just a knee-jerk reaction from just one line but it seems that the "tradition" of ham-fisted Protoss characters and dialogue that started in WoL (I'm looking at you, Karass!) is set to continue into HotS. All this bluster somehow feels very unbecoming (and especially forced) coming from a Protoss and I am (still) hoping to see less of this in HotS. I wonder where all the original Protoss grace, poise and eloquence has gone? I shudder to think how the Protoss will speak and act in LotV based on what we've experienced in WoL and this fine specimen presented here.

In some ways, I'm glad it's too early to tell how it will turn out, but there's this sinking feeling I'm getting that this is something that is not likely nor easy to change/fix/improve.

Thoughts?
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Default Re: Clunky dialogue to continue in HotS?

They've said that most of the dialogue is placeholder and they'll be rewriting and voicing it later on. Apparently some of the attendees had the same problems.

Romla's Avatar Junior Member

A whining thread! Something for me.

As of your problem, I had the same feeling with Kerrigan lines.

For instance this:
    I'll kill all of you before I let that happen.
    And this:
    I will rebuild the swarm. I will make it stronger, better. And then I will crush Mengsk under my heal.

It seems to me from that lines like Kerrigan's intelligence went down a little from Brood War, but maybe it is only a bad impression from the few lines we saw in this preview.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspelli View Post
    They've said that most of the dialogue is placeholder and they'll be rewriting and voicing it later on. Apparently some of the attendees had the same problems.
    This could be the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Romla View Post
    A whining thread! Something for me.

As of your problem, I had the same feeling with Kerrigan lines.

For instance this:
    I'll kill all of you before I let that happen.
    And this:
    I will rebuild the swarm. I will make it stronger, better. And then I will crush Mengsk under my heal.

It seems to me from that lines like Kerrigan's intelligence went down a little from Brood War, but maybe it is only a bad impression from the few lines we saw in this preview.

This could be the reason.
    'I will rebuild the swarm. I will make it stronger, better. And then I will crush Mengsk under my heel,' sounds like her speech at the end of Brood War. Except specifically focusing on Mengsk.

Speaking to the individuals who went there directly I found two overall opinions about this that should put the direct input into this thread.

Thought 1: All of the information is indeed placeholder. They were let known about that multiple times and to not "judge it by what they see, it will improve". Consider it first draft material at best.

Thought 2: Even for a first draft, the way it felt, sounded and related actually sounded more so like "sc1" than "sc2" in terms of how it was delivered. It was "better" as a first draft than some of them felt was for WoL's final draft. One concern brought up was that in "fixing it" they may "break it" when trying to possibly go moreso towards the trends of WoL instead of the trends that come from SC1's writing.

It's hard to describe this cause it sounds like the related information was not anything we expirienced in the videos... but I hope this helps direct this conversation better.
    Please be aware of the SC:L Posting Rules and Guidelines.

If I were you, I'd look at these links. You might even follow or like them or something...

StarCraft: Legacy: Like us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter - Subscribe to our Youtube channel
    Legacy Observer: Watch live on Twitch.tv - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - Subscribe to Youtube Channel

Most of the voice acting that we thought were placeholders for WoL ended being used in the game. It is fair to expect some improvements but I wouldn't be too optimistic about it.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    Most of the voice acting that we thought were placeholders for WoL ended being used in the game. It is fair to expect some improvements but I wouldn't be too optimistic about it.
    What are you referring to? I don't remember anything like that.

After watching the story mode trailers I find myself getting all giddy again.... and then I remember how terrible the game's storymode was even though the trailers for WoL almost made me poop my pants. Hopefully blizz wont let us down again.
    Drink Zealot Powerade!
    Nothing gets your Psionic powers flowing like Zealot Powerade!

Quote Originally Posted by ZealotPowerade View Post
    After watching the story mode trailers I find myself getting all giddy again.... and then I remember how terrible the game's storymode was even though the trailers for WoL almost made me poop my pants. Hopefully blizz wont let us down again.
    Really? Terrible? The writing may not have been amazing but I wouldn't call storymode terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    I have the same sentiment as this but moreso for the quality of writing rather than the quality of the VO. I think they should trim some of this excess and unnecessary dialogue rather than placehold it for something else. I doubt that they can make what is essentially "Oh noes, you terrible monster! I'll kill you for such and such!" sound any better than what it really is.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.