Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Revamping the Dark Pylon

Default Re: Revamping the Dark Pylon

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Jonny View Post

My thread from the start shouldve just been: give blink to the Dark Pylon. I think that wouldve saved me trouble.
    So my big qualm with that (and not that it isnt a cool idea) but it completly overlaps with the warp prism.

Further up in this thread I said that in my opinion a macro mechanic must have a drawback attached to it. So here's a thought, what if we keep Proton Charge but make it decommission each and every static defence the player has for the duration it's on (or even more drastic, make production of units impossible during Proton Charge's duration(tho' this may be too much)). The lore explanation for all this would be that the Proton Charge causes a ripple-like disturbance in the psi-matrix which prevents Protoss technology from working right. Of course there'll have to be equally significant drawbacks to Zerg and Terran macro mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Eligor View Post
    Further up in this thread I said that in my opinion a macro mechanic must have a drawback attached to it.

I dont really understand why people keep suggesting giving macro drawbacks. It would be like putting Psi Storm in the game and saying "Oh wait people are going to use this allot. We should make it decrease supply whenever they cast it. That way they have to make a choice."

Well, if there aren't any drawbacks, then there wouldn't be a choice, would there? People would simply use it as frequently as possible. By having a drawback, it forces the player to weigh the cost-balance before using it. As far as why creating a situation where the player has to choose, it is the major determinant differentiating intelligent macro mechanics and sheer busywork.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherofAiur View Post
    I dont really understand why people keep suggesting giving macro drawbacks. It would be like putting Psi Storm in the game and saying "Oh wait people are going to use this allot. We should make it decrease supply whenever they cast it. That way they have to make a choice."
    Because the beiggest complaint about the current mechanics are that its a mindless apm sinks. If you give the player a choice, youre adding strategy to the decission. If we just added a new mechanic onto a building, everyone would always choose it, because more resources is better. If you add a drawback, you have to decide when the right time to use it is.

EDIT: yeah, what Mr. Preasant said...sry was a bit late.

So my big qualm with that (and not that it isnt a cool idea) but it completly overlaps with the warp prism.
    A warping building has its own purpose. The whole point of having it is so DPs you were using for resources before can now be used in combat. I would be willing to give up its powerfield, I always thought it overlapped with the pylon anyway. Either that or make it an ability, like I suggested before.
    Last edited by Crazy_Jonny; 05-14-2009 at 09:35 PM.

mr.Peasant pretty much answered this already, but I have to add, Psi-Storm is a bad example. The Storm is a combat ability, its successful use depends on timing, positioning and taking into account the actions of the opponent, it already has "drawbacks", a player's use of it already involves meaningful decisions. Proton Charge on the other hand has no such properties, you'd want to use it as much as possible, which is pretty much meaninglessly spamming clicks without any rhyme or reason. My suggestion brings in a trade-off that makes a player more vulnerable when Proton Charge is engaged, this means that to use a Proton Charge you'll have to be pretty sure that you're not going to be attacked anytime soon or have a sizeable force around which would compensate for the lack of static defense. Such a mechanic would encourage scouting and unit production, and won't be as viable if you don't have the upper hand in the game or don't keep enough pressure on the enemy. In short, it encourages the player to do more than just repeatedly click a single button.
    Last edited by Eligor; 05-15-2009 at 12:54 AM.

Was going to say about Psi-storm, but Eligor beat me too it. The other problem with Proton Charge is that it has no 'passive drawbacks' or more properly, it's going to get spammed because the other abilities are even more situational than it is (Null Shield is only effective when you have an expensive unit you want to keep secret, and Argus Link is only useful when you have a useful, low-energy spellcaster around).
    Last edited by MattII; 05-14-2009 at 09:45 PM.

Can you name other SC abilities have drawbacks of the kind you guys are talking about?
    Last edited by ArcherofAiur; 05-14-2009 at 09:51 PM.

Can you name other SC abilities have drawbacks of the kind you guys are talking about?
    Pretty much every ability against which your opponent can do something and which requires some forethought and/or skill to execute (which is really almost ev'ry ability in SC and SC 2). Macro mechanics are a very new (and exceptional) element in the game.

Like?

The one I can think of is the siege-tank which loses mobility for fire power.