Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: First look at HotS in May.

Default Re: First look at HotS in May.

Quote Originally Posted by Caliban113 View Post

Well, there was the story writing shenaniganz, but I thought the missions themselves were very well constructed - Definitely some good stuff - I'd say on par with the original.

Give credit where credit is due; the level design was vastly superior to anything ever seen in a RTS. Of course the story was cliché but the level themselves were awesome.

Hell, the story wasn't actually that bad. Lets not exaggerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Genopath View Post
    I don't know but what I know is that SC:Legacy will most likely be the first site to share this info with everyone
    i have complete faith in SC:L, was just wondering if i missed something in that press release
    You represent what is greatest in us all, and all our hopes go with you. EN TARO ADUN, brave Sons of Aiur!

I greatly enjoyed WoL's story and hope HotS is as that enjoyable or more

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    Not only was it not that bad. I'd say it's still one of the greatest RTS stories and possibly the greatest if you don't include other Blizzard games. During the years of 1998-2006, I played tons of RTS trying to find something that could hold my interest like SCBW, but all I could find were a bunch of horrible SP stories and boring campaigns.

StarCraft 2 may be a shadow of SCBW but its still daaaaamn good by RTS standards which are sadly very low.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Praetor_Ixab View Post
    is there any mention of WHEN this preview is? i mean, may is a long month.....
    Late, late May.

~LoA
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Beloved.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

May 31 @ 11:59:999 . . . 3011

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Crota's Avatar Junior Member

I am so looking forward to this. If I go, I'll make sure to take pictures of the gallery as well as take as many screen shots as possible.

Crota

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    Give credit where credit is due; the level design was vastly superior to anything ever seen in a RTS. Of course the story was cliché but the level themselves were awesome.

Vastly superior to anything? I still think the single player campaign in Warcraft 3 is superior in every way including level design.

It is Blizzard's fault for setting their own standard too high.

War3 had an advantage in that it was a linear story with quests and gameplay that supported it. Aside from a few lackluster missions like 'kill 10 boars', most of the missions had some pretty story-heavy scenes that have become part of Warcraft's history. We had the Culling of Stratholme, the destruction of Dalaran and Quel'Thalas, the freeing of Illidan and the epic battle of Hyjal.

Starcraft 2's open approach to gameplay allows more for replay value, but it ultimately hurt the narrative. It becomes disjointed and the order of events becomes muddled without a proper sequence to put it to. Did we find out the Colonists were infected before we met Tosh? Did we ruin our reputation with the Protoss? Did the Spectres get freed in the end? The make-your-own adventure makes it more difficult to remember the story and place a good timeline. As for a linear story, I can still remember the sequence of events of Warcraft 3 very clearly, as I can for the original Starcraft.

I couldn't care less about the Story... I WANT TO SEE NEW UNITS AND ABILITIES!
    Even though, this will be only Singleplayer preview, I hope we see some new units, that will possibly be added to the Multiplayer!
    "Living for the Swarm!"