Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This japan hing could get srsly huge :( [vid]

Default This japan hing could get srsly huge :( [vid]

... even just the failiure to keep on cooling the spent fuel could proove dissastrous and lead to GLOBAL contamination.

i dont want to help spread any misinformed mass hysteria, but this seriously worries me; things are bad enough as they are, with various ill doers worldwide taking opportunities to get nasty when the world isnt looking....
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

Default Re: This japan hing could get srsly huge :( [vid]

Nuclear and Japan really really don't go well together. They have had such a bad history with it and now this is happening. Really sad.

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/263528/1/JHammer/

For people of the opinion "I completely will never pay for anything" but still wanting to watch GSL VODs....PM me. (Hint: Sharing is caring)

If you're making an account just to PM me.....don't waste your time.

While this whole thing is pretty disturbing, i still think that it's hard to predict the exact consequences.

There's an uprising discussion about nuclear energy and so on, with a lot of people becoming against it, because of this crisis.

However, you should take into consideration, that the earthquake is amongst the 5 most deadly earthquakes ever recorded. Japan couldn't have done much to prepare for this.

Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you.

Dean63's Avatar Junior Member

"Don't worry, everything is fine. We have this under control."
    --"If you exclude the fact we can't get cooling into a tower, and lose control of all other towers from it."

"In no way will this effect the United States."
    --"If you exclude Northern Easterlies and radioactive containment breech, as is now."

"In no way could this be worse than Three Mile Island."
    --"If you exclude it's worse than Chernobyl."

In an email sent from Tokyo, this individual explains:

"...nuclear reactors use bundles of enriched uranium packed into stainless steel fuel rods in order to generate the heat that drives the turbines. You need to keep these bundles of pins cool otherwise they melt or burst.

Now, it seems the Fukushima power plant pulled spent fuel bundles (a collection of fuel rods) and stored them on site rather than shipping them to another location. Speculation is that in addition to the fires that are damaging the working reactor, these storage areas of their spent fuel bundles could [now] be on fire. This vastly compounds the problem of any meltdown, as this spent fuel will add to the contamination [because] it is extremely toxic.

In other words, as well as dealing with a potential meltdown, you also have the toxic products from the depleted fuel pins adding to the pollution. This is extraordinarily bad. The spent fuel bundles should have been relocated away from the reactor core a long, long time ago. Given the earthquake realities of Japan, these reactor building were basically dirty bombs waiting to be set off by a [natural] disaster."
    http://www.naturalnews.com/031718_nu...irty_bomb.html
    Last edited by Dean63; 03-16-2011 at 02:27 PM.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Good. Maybe it's the end of times. I always hoped I'd get to see the end of the world.

EvilGenius's Avatar Junior Member

I'm not ready to go yet... I DIDN'T BEAT MASS EFFECT

We need moar time...at least to complete the Starcraft 2 saga (maybe it is epic at the end)

Quote Originally Posted by Peanutbutter View Post
    While this whole thing is pretty disturbing, i still think that it's hard to predict the exact consequences.

There's an uprising discussion about nuclear energy and so on, with a lot of people becoming against it, because of this crisis.

However, you should take into consideration, that the earthquake is amongst the 5 most deadly earthquakes ever recorded. Japan couldn't have done much to prepare for this.

I also think so.

Nuclear power is actually fairly safe, considering the power to waste ratio. The blame for all this needs to go to the guy who thought putting a nuclear power plant so close to an active fault line was a good idea. Its no different than building a nuclear power plant next to a volcano, or in tornado alley. Expect shit to eventually go bad.

First rule of real estate: location, location, location.

IMO its not so far to generalize to Japan as a whole being a bad location.. but what were their options?

i think we've been spoiled and to some extent brainwashed to more or less forget proportions of the powers at work; trained to think there are no reasonable options other than maintaining and expanding our reliance on nuclear and fossil power.

in recent news, the spent fuel rods mentioned in the video above are now confirmed by Tepco to having been damaged. apparently, the new plan to try to move them, somehow, somewhere.

http://hken.ibtimes.com/articles/134...hi-damaged.htm
    Last edited by Todie; 04-14-2011 at 10:35 AM.
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.