Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protoss

GGsmung's Avatar Junior Member

Default Protoss

Protoss, a race with lazers, beams, big ass cannons and . . . stalkers?

When I wrote this thread I had just finished a few ladder games like I do every so often.

I as a zerg played have always have had some problems with the matchup PvZ.

(This may sound to you like QQ , whining or whatever you like to call it , I may look back to this and want to take it back but this is how I feel about this race now , tbh I do not feel like protoss is OP that it is a free win to play it, but it has some issues.)

IMO it's easier to win as protoss then any other race.

There, I said it.

When I play protoss I find it easier to micro and macro compared to the other races and chrono boost is not a problem for me. My PvZ w/l ratio as toss is much higher then my ZvP as zerg.

Then they have this unit called the colossus. . . Im not gonna talk about it because you've probably heard everything about it already .

The spell blink bothers me alot too its way to powerful for its low cost. Microing blink stalkers is just so rewarding and I cannot tell how many times I have lost to a blink stalker rush even after scouting it as zerg.

I could go on and on about how protoss is a "good race". But thats not my goal to achieve with this thread, because there are millions of them out there.

Every zerg I run into on ladder who I ask how they feel about protoss, I still haven't found a case of them saying its not a "good race". To me it seems like all zergs have problems with protoss.

As for PvT I think its more balanced, having some experience with that. Although I have most likely won more games as toss compared to terran in that matchup.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Please watch the following replays if you have some extra time they are 2 games I just finished playing. The first game is me playing zerg and the 2nd is me playing toss. ( you can probably tell by the names )

I will say it nowthat that is not my top play . . . but I think I did allright and don't try to tell me what I did wrong and what I could do better. I went over the replay and know what I did wrong and what I could do to improve. But I find it so much harder to play a toss as zerg then to play a zerg as toss. And damn me for always forgetting to get a overseer .

. . . Btw Im pretty BM in those reps . . .
    Last edited by GGsmung; 03-14-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Default Re: Protoss

Reminds me of Artosis saying he hated ZvP as a zerg but when he switched to protoss he loved PvZ. Hahahaha. Toss is definitely easier to play than zerg. I would think terran is marginally easier to macro with since they don't have to move the screen to build units (warp gates). Micro is definitely easier with toss esp blink stalkers.

Plus shouldn't this thread be in strategy or maybe replays?? Perhaps a mod will move it.

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/263528/1/JHammer/

For people of the opinion "I completely will never pay for anything" but still wanting to watch GSL VODs....PM me. (Hint: Sharing is caring)

If you're making an account just to PM me.....don't waste your time.

My biggest issue in ZvP is letting my opponent macro unchecked while I go totally overboard expanding and roach/hydra. I usually lose to Colossi, Voids or a combo of the 2 with occasionally some zealots as meat shields or to a mass gateway build. I have found in this matchup and ZvT that it is very unwise to let your opponent macro away. I might be able to replenish my troops in a hurry, but a 12 gate/6 robo/6-8 stargate ( /=or ) toss can keep up in firepower w/o too much difficulty like this.

In the reverse MU, I only lose to Zergs if the Roach rush or I let them get to Ultras/Broods too comfortably. In both cases I have been working on making pressure plays (with success ) and preventing expos at least for a while. Zerg's best tactic is to starve an opponent rather than take'em head on.
    I am a master tactician. It is my execution that keeps getting me killed.

Quote Originally Posted by GGsmung View Post
    IMO it's easier to win as protoss then any other race.

There, I said it.
    Egad!

I love how you write that as though it was a great secret that nobody dared to admit.

Well, it was a good couple of months, Terrans, and you really gave it your best shot at being the easy race, but you must understand that you simply don't have the experience that we do. We were 1a2a3agging opponents years before the first Marauder ever walked the maps.

PvZ is a hard matchup for Z. I actually switched to P for 1v1. I doubt the infestor buff will change much.

There is of course the 3RR with 24 lings. It is unstoppable unless you scout it. In some maps it is less viable but it's still very strong.

GGsmung's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackhammerIV View Post
    Reminds me of Artosis saying he hated ZvP as a zerg but when he switched to protoss he loved PvZ. Hahahaha. Toss is definitely easier to play than zerg. I would think terran is marginally easier to macro with since they don't have to move the screen to build units (warp gates). Micro is definitely easier with toss esp blink stalkers.

Plus shouldn't this thread be in strategy or maybe replays?? Perhaps a mod will move it.
    Good point ^^ didn't know where to put it .

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

I'd have to rate the races like this:

Ease of use:
    1) Protoss
    2) Terran
    3) Zerg

Most powerful:
    1) Terran
    2) Protoss
    3) Zerg

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    I'd have to rate the races like this:

Ease of use:
    1) Protoss
    2) Terran
    3) Zerg

Most powerful:
    1) Terran
    2) Protoss
    3) Zerg
    Well, you'll get no argument on Zerg placement here. Toss and Terran are about equal in ease of use imho. I would split the TvP power rankings into parts however, with the assumptions that neither econ nor numbers are issues, and no type ranking includes support from the other:

Ground:

Early game:
    Terran
    Toss

Late Game:
    Toss
    Terran

Air:

Early-Mid Game w/ even upgrades:
    Even:
    Banshees can't hit air, vikes lose speed in favor of range, phoenix speed is a definitive advantage for softening up viking groups, voids are good despite the loss of speed upgrade last patch.

Late game w/ even upgrades
    Terran
    Toss

Carriers are still ok but don't dominate vs. terran air like they did in SC1 without support. Advantage shifts to Toss in both air MUs with a MS and an upgrade advantage.
    I am a master tactician. It is my execution that keeps getting me killed.

Quote Originally Posted by flak4321 View Post
    My biggest issue in ZvP is letting my opponent macro unchecked while I go totally overboard expanding and roach/hydra. I usually lose to Colossi, Voids or a combo of the 2 with occasionally some zealots as meat shields or to a mass gateway build.
    I've heard of this before, the protoss death ball. Corrupters seem like the best way to counter this, and it's possible. Granted, the only one I saw pull it off when a protoss was maxed was idra.

After watching the GSL, PvZ seems like such an unbalanced matchup that I really can't fathom how a Zerg is supposed to respond to most of the things Protoss do.

Forcefields are probably one of the best tools Protoss has, and no amount of banelings can bust through a well-placed forcefield. Cutting off a Zerg force and killing it little by little while warping in more reinforcements... What can you really do?