Thread: Blizzard's next MMO already playable

Default Blizzard's next MMO already playable

COO Paul Sams confirms that the World of Warcraft-maker's next big project, code-named Titan, has reached an advanced stage of development.

Last year, Blizzard Entertainment cofounder Frank Pearce confirmed that his company's new massively multiplayer online game was code-named "Titan" as had been indicated by a purportedly leaked Blizzard release schedule. That schedule had the game arriving in the fourth quarter of 2013--over two years away.

However, just because the game may be so far off doesn't mean that it still isn't coming together. Speaking with industry site Gamasutra, Blizzard COO Paul Sams said that the MMOG--which he did not reference by its code name--is already playable.

"We're playing it already. It is a total ball to play," he said. "We think that the reach of that product is greater than anything that we've done before. We're very excited about that. I believe that it's the type of game that will have a very long life, much like World of Warcraft has."

Sams went on to say that Blizzard hopes the new MMOG--rumored to have a first-person perspective--will eventually outgrow World of Warcraft, which he still believes has many more years in it. "The thing that we hope will happen is that it will not stop World of Warcraft, but we believe will eclipse it," he said, before adding, "So, hopefully in 10, 15 and 20 years, that [new MMOG] will still be growing strong and will have set a new mark in the industry for that type of product."

The past several years have seen a steady drip of information about Blizzard's next MMOG. In 2007, the company confirmed that a non-World of Warcraft MMOG was in development. In 2009, the company admitted the game was an all-new property with, according to Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick, "a little more broad appeal."

Dean63's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: Blizzard's next MMO already playable

That is cool, I would like to play Titan. Wonder what their "social aspect rather than competitive" focus implies however, especially when (ugh) Booby Kotick (/ugh) puts his two cents in. This makes me very weary and drained already, especially with their moot pushes with Facebook connectivity.

I would hate to see the game last for 10, 15, or 20 years. Especially if follows the World of Warcraft model of retaining the same engine. In terms of technology, that's like using a transistor television in 2011. I'm curious if Titan will be exclusively PC or Console, or on both.

And a last note, does this mean they're finally out of planning stage and doing pre-alpha?

Maul's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dean63 View Post
    That is cool, I would like to play Titan. Wonder what their "social aspect rather than competitive" focus implies however, especially when (ugh) Booby Kotick (/ugh) puts his two cents in. This makes me very weary and drained already, especially with their moot pushes with Facebook connectivity.

I would hate to see the game last for 10, 15, or 20 years. Especially if follows the World of Warcraft model of retaining the same engine. In terms of technology, that's like using a transistor television in 2011. I'm curious if Titan will be exclusively PC or Console, or on both.

And a last note, does this mean they're finally out of planning stage and doing pre-alpha?
    I think they would have learnt a lot of lessons from WoW, especially when it comes to the engine. They never imagined WoW would be anywhere near the success it is today, and didn't build the engine with this in mind.

Also I still don't understand all the hate towards Facebook integration. It's an optional feature that would of taken literally an hour or less to add in StarCraft 2 from a development perspective. Blizzard are not forcing you to use this.

Saying that, I have been very excited to learn more about this project as I've still yet to see an MMO that really makes full use of the genres possibilities. Also, a new franchise for Blizzard is kind of a big deal.
    I really need to change this...
    Check out my maps: Maul's Spirial Turret Defense and Maul's Risk: Bel'shir

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Facebook = social
    Social = Normal
    Normal =\= Hardcore gamer elitist

Maul's Avatar Member

It still doesn't affect the hardcore guys though. If you really are hardcore you'd be in diamond/masters and never deal with the normal/casual guys they so hate.
    I really need to change this...
    Check out my maps: Maul's Spirial Turret Defense and Maul's Risk: Bel'shir

Dean63's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    It still doesn't affect the hardcore guys though. If you really are hardcore you'd be in diamond/masters and never deal with the normal/casual guys they so hate.
    When Facebook connectivity was announced, I thought "neat, something to encourage more people to play." The game still focused on gameplay as the highest tier, and it was only one option of non-Starcraft bloat. With Titan to include more social features and push, I can only assume more Facebook, Myspace, Digg, and etc. events to crop up. Where gameplay takes a backseat to the social aspect.

Again, I'm only assuming this with the lack of PR clarity. Blizzard has not been known for it's quality of PR, which is why I rarely follow events or lose interest.
    Last edited by Dean63; 03-13-2011 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    Just the idea of normalness offends them. Just thinking about someone else being well adjusted and happy sends them into a fit of emo depression.

Well, you know the hardcore breed is dying out or mixing with the common flow, so the game developers need to attract both publics

"a little more broad appeal."
    appeals to broads....or broader appeal...?
    "Wait.....no Gzhee-Gzhee.....?.....whu......Why no Ghzhee-Gzhee?!?!?!?!"

RIP - Leslie Nielsen

Clearly this was made for the laaaadeeeeeez, ooooh HOLLLLLLA!