Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: StarCraft 2 Tech Tree

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default StarCraft 2 Tech Tree

http://starcraft.incgamers.com/blog/...an-tech-trees/

I post this not because it's beta news or because it's important. I post this because there seems to be some people who aren't up on the latest tech tree so I figured this might help discussion a little bit.

-- A Zerg tech tree is expected soon and I will edit that in when it's available.

Default Re: StarCraft 2 Tech Tree

An alternative tech tree, with the zerg one
    Protoss
    http://communitystarcraft.com/images...sstechtree.jpg
    terran
    http://communitystarcraft.com/images...antechtree.jpg
    zerg
    http://communitystarcraft.com/images...rgtechtree.jpg

But it looks your is more up to date. Thanks for posting .
    Last edited by Perfecttear; 05-12-2009 at 10:41 AM.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

This tech tree is supposed to be a recent community project to update the tech tree, so, yeah it should be the most up-to-date tech tree on the internet at the moment.

I've seen a lot of posts recently where someone was judging a game play idea on an old tech tree so I figured this might help.

One think I notice about the tech trees are how, particularly for the later tiers, most of the units are immediately available as soon as the production building is made. This is glaringly apparent where both, the Factory and Starport each have only one (out of five for the Starport, mind you) unit requires further tech buildings. It should be worth pointing out that the Terrans have significantly fewer tech buildings than the Protoss (4.5 versus 6).

I think the Terrans should get at least one additional tech building for their Starport buildings. An alternative would be for the the Medivac and Raven to also require the Ghost Academy (just renamed the Academy) just so that they can't get almost full air on their third building. The reason I chose the Medivac and Raven are because those two best fit it lore-wise since it makes sense they are operated by educated personnel.

Just wondering if you've included add-ons in that mr. peasant? If that makes much of a differnce at all..?

Back with all gun's blazing.

There's only one add-on, namely the Tech Lab which would essentially be a small increase in cost for the production building in question. It's the 0.5 I added to my total tally.

areese87's Avatar Junior Member

The Terran tech tree excites me. It really made me dig the innovativeness and creativity of the add-on system that further seperates the 3 races to create some really unique production and tech tree ideas. Can't wait to see this in action.

Just to make sure: Reactors only work for the base units, yes? Since Medevacs and Reapers don't require tech labs, I wasn't sure if they might be Reactor-affected.
    It’s a shame that there is no hell for Falwell to go to, and it’s extraordinary that not even such a scandalous career is enough to shake our dumb addiction to the “faith-based.”[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
    One think I notice about the tech trees are how, particularly for the later tiers, most of the units are immediately available as soon as the production building is made. This is glaringly apparent where both, the Factory and Starport each have only one (out of five for the Starport, mind you) unit requires further tech buildings. It should be worth pointing out that the Terrans have significantly fewer tech buildings than the Protoss (4.5 versus 6).

I think the Terrans should get at least one additional tech building for their Starport buildings. An alternative would be for the the Medivac and Raven to also require the Ghost Academy (just renamed the Academy) just so that they can't get almost full air on their third building. The reason I chose the Medivac and Raven are because those two best fit it lore-wise since it makes sense they are operated by educated personnel.
    Terrans have plenty economic advantages. As mentioned they need less Techbuildings and each of them is singular (Both Protoss Templars need 2 Techbuildings). There is no lynchpin Techbuilding (unless some requirements are misrepresented), Each Production Building is provided by the previous version ergo redundant dependencys whereas the Protoss are banned from expanding robots/air if they lose their (one?) Cybernetics core.

Also the Terrans have the Reactor which acts as 1/3rd of a Production building. Though limited in some aspects it allows them to halve Marine Production capacity and Trade it for Hellion or Viking Capacity. (On top of that the Addons apear to be salvagable). It doesn´t increase their TOTAL Production capacity but lets them modify it easier.

Personally I like it like that, Terrans are big on multipurposeness.

An alternative would be for the the Medivac and Raven to also require the Ghost Academy (just renamed the Academy) just so that they can't get almost full air on their third building.
    First, giving the Medivac any prerequisite hurts the unit. It should be easily acquired; that way, if you're going for a primarily infantry strategy, you can easily get healing without having to invest in a bunch of extra stuff. You already need a Factory + StarPort to get Medivacs, when you're probably going for a strategy that doesn't use a Factory. Forcing you to build a Ghost Academy is just making the Medivac even harder to get.

Second, what's the difference between the NightHawk having the Fusion Core as a prerequisite and the Ghost Academy? Indeed, having the latter as a prereq is silly, because you can have already built it by the time you get to a StarPort. The point of a prereq is to make it harder to get a unit, not easier.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

"You simply cannot design a mechanic today to mimic the behaviour of a 10-year old mechanic that you removed because nearly nobody would like them today." - Norfindel, on the Macro Mechanics

"We want to focus the player on making interesting choices and not just a bunch of different klicks." - Dustin Browder

StarCraft 2 Beta Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Nicol Bolas View Post
    First, giving the Medivac any prerequisite hurts the unit. It should be easily acquired; that way, if you're going for a primarily infantry strategy, you can easily get healing without having to invest in a bunch of extra stuff. You already need a Factory + StarPort to get Medivacs, when you're probably going for a strategy that doesn't use a Factory. Forcing you to build a Ghost Academy is just making the Medivac even harder to get.

Second, what's the difference between the NightHawk having the Fusion Core as a prerequisite and the Ghost Academy? Indeed, having the latter as a prereq is silly, because you can have already built it by the time you get to a StarPort. The point of a prereq is to make it harder to get a unit, not easier.
    Now, if players are already going to build the Academy before the Starport, how does this hurt the player or the game's current mechanics? It doesn't. Where this does have an affect is on players who haven't built the Academy, i.e. those who're rushing straight for air units. For them, delaying their access to their full armada seems appropriate. On the other hand, if the player is focusing on infantry, don't you think it's likely that the Academy is something s/he would want to build anyway?