Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What changes in multiplayer for HoTS?

Default What changes in multiplayer for HoTS?

I miss the old days of theorycrafting. So I would like to ask everyone if they think there are any holes in multiplayer gameplay that need to be fixed in HoTS.

What do I mean by holes?

Well in vanilla starcraft, marines were super fragile and so medics were introduced in Broodwar to make them more resilient.

While in Broodwar, Protoss still had a lot of difficulty dealing with mass tanks and so had to use strategies such as zealot bombs, spaced dragoons, and arbiters. Immortals were introduced in SC2 to allow protoss to break terran fortifications.

What do you think?

Default Re: What changes in multiplayer for HoTS?

Wings of Liberty isn't even a year old yet. We should probably give it a bit more time to settle down. Considering the state of zerg now HotS should be focused on buffing zerg.

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/263528/1/JHammer/

For people of the opinion "I completely will never pay for anything" but still wanting to watch GSL VODs....PM me. (Hint: Sharing is caring)

If you're making an account just to PM me.....don't waste your time.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Zerg need cloakable attack unit.

Well two units have an attack while burrowed. Infestors and banelings. Guess those sort of count as zerg cloaked attack units. Need detection to see them burrowed. And roaches can burrow move to ambush so that sort of counts as well. But i guess the only pure burrowed ("cloaked") attack unit for zerg is infestor casting infested terrans.

Perhaps they'll bring back the lurker for HotS but so far it seems like it might only be in singleplayer.

For people of the opinion "I completely will never pay for anything" but still wanting to watch GSL VODs....PM me. (Hint: Sharing is caring)

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Infestor = "cloakable" spellcaster
    Baneling = moveable land mine.

I mean a "cloakable" attack unit ...

Read: Lurker-like

Still not like lurkers could move while "cloaked" (burrowed).

We need to not make this thread about unit additions. tehre's a thread for that already. Also, Browder has said that adding more units in each expansion would kind of make the game feel bloated, so i'd expect at most one MP unit addition per race per expansion.

... i think its more probably that we get only one unit per race, combined.

still, there's no doubt that MP will be revamped; i wouldnt be surprised by changes like upping the supply cap to 300, but mostly, i think "racial emchanics" will be trifled with and added to; these are thigsn we've touched on in the past... things like added abilities for queens (and tumors/hacheries?), OC's and Nexii ... thigs that can itneract with all tahts already in sc2, tthat we're already familiar wtih, in a variety of ways.

finally, i expect new map features, like variations of Watchtowers; how about towers that dont reveal high ground?
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

Well the mechanics changed quite a lot with wc3, but those were mostly attack types and changes for the heroes. It's harder to add things to starcraft that "fits". Like the item shop in TFT was perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by JackhammerIV View Post
    Wings of Liberty isn't even a year old yet. We should probably give it a bit more time to settle down. Considering the state of zerg now HotS should be focused on buffing zerg.
    Mostly agreed. Zerg is built in SC2 to require numbers, and this is quite true. No numbers for zerg, no victory usually. The reactionary nature of zerg is also a big factor. Certain builds like mass Thors are beatable, but only if you scout it soon enough to have the proper counter.

The only real MP change I would clamor for is a change to the pause mechanic to prevent an opponent from unpausing before you get back. I have only had 3 such instances where this has happened, and last night was most frustrating. My mom took a tumble, and I paused to make sure all was well, which it was. I returned to find myself in a 1 base Zerg vs a 3 base terran (w/ mass Thors), and I was only gone like 3 or 4 minutes. The game timer was a total of 9 or 10 minutes. I'll have to watch the replay and see if he unpaused it or if there is a pause timer or something.

I also would like to pose some suggestions/questions:

1) Is terran infantry truly OP or are we still working out what the best counter truly is? I think the MMM build is too strong, and I would fix it by fix stim to both make the damage % of HP based and would make that % rise to 50. I would also reduce medivac healing rate by 5-15%. An alternate approach woulkd be to leave stim as is, and make medivacs only heal units NOT engaged in battle, which would require hit and run tactics or stop and start tactics.

2) Should Protoss probes should deconstruct into mechanical units (obs, colossi, warp prism)? Offset by increasing crono boost on nexii only by 25%.

3) Should there be a limit to the number of nexii/ccs (in all forms)/hatches (in all forms) allowed on the map per player at any one time to limit maximum macro advantage? As the hatch is Zerg's unit production facility, this would be harshest on them, but an extra queen or 2 to spawn larvae without transferring queens between resource nodes would offset. Extra expansions would be handled by allowing the hatch to devolve into its drone starting point. Uprooting would be viable only if speed off creep was equal to that of queen or less. Minerals would not be recovered.
    Last edited by flak4321; 02-25-2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: some outright theorycrafting added
    I am a master tactician. It is my execution that keeps getting me killed.