Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who misses the Confederacy?

Default Who misses the Confederacy?

*Raises Hand*

C'mon, admit you do. I mean those guys were kinda ok, I guess. And besides, i think 'the Confederacy' sounds cooler than 'the Terran Dominion'.
    Help control the household human population by taking out your zergling's adrenal glands.

Default Re: Who misses the Confederacy?

The Confederacy is another faction that they could do absolutely nothing with after their story was over.

Sometimes things just need to end. They were sort of foreboding when they were actually involved in the story I suppose.

The Mother of all Queens!

Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

Yeah, like Aldrius said.

The Confederacy was headed nowhere.

Seriously, they can't defend themselves at all from alien attacks, they sacrifice entire worlds just to test something.

They were already being destroyed by the Zerg, so one way or another they were bound to die off.

Now, what they've accomplished though, I like about them. The Psi Disrupter, Psi Emitters, their experiments in the Jacobs installation and their general secretiveness are all awesome.

mmm... probably people opressed by the Dominion, but likely not even them.

They are useful gone. They make a convenient plot device for the Terrans to get... well, special devices of plot significance such as the Psi Disruptor without having to explain/show them doing the groundwork. Just like how the Protoss have their long, forgotten Xel'Naga technology and 'forbidden arts'.

And now with the UED gone as well, the Terrans now has access to two sources for their deus ex machina.

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

They are useful gone. They make a convenient plot device for the Terrans to get... well, special devices of plot significance such as the Psi Disruptor without having to explain/show them doing the groundwork. Just like how the Protoss have their long, forgotten Xel'Naga technology and 'forbidden arts'.

And now with the UED gone as well, the Terrans now has access to two sources for their deus ex machina.
    How is it a plot device? It's just part of the story.

And the UED hardly brought anything new to the sector so I don't know how the UED is part of their "deus ex machina" either.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandonetho View Post
    How is it a plot device? It's just part of the story.
    A plot device is any literary device used to forward a plot, including deus ex machina. In the case of the Psi Disruptor, the fact that the Confederates had built it in secret, with there having previously no mention of such research (disrupting psi fields) at any scale and it turns out to be the UED's key to victory in their campaign makes it somewhat of a deus ex machina.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandonetho View Post
    And the UED hardly brought anything new to the sector so I don't know how the UED is part of their "deus ex machina" either.
    I was referring to potential future use, given Blizzard's fondness of deus ex machina.

vIsitor's Avatar Junior Member

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been pining for the Confederacy to return in earnest for a long, long time.

The Confederacy, on the whole, wasn't so bad--it was its leadership that was the problem (and they just so happen to be dead now). Besides, they always had the coolest toys.

Between Duran's "Confederate Resistance Forces" and the Remnants encountered by the Kimeran Pirates, they Confederates certainly have precedent enough to return, anyway.

It would be an exceptionally cruel irony if the Terran Dominion was at the mercy of the science nerds of Epsilon Squadron (whom we yet to see in-game!).

Quote Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
    A plot device is any literary device used to forward a plot, including deus ex machina. In the case of the Psi Disruptor, the fact that the Confederates had built it in secret, with there having previously no mention of such research (disrupting psi fields) at any scale and it turns out to be the UED's key to victory in their campaign makes it somewhat of a deus ex machina.

I was referring to potential future use, given Blizzard's fondness of deus ex machina.
    Errr... I'm writing this at the danger of being too off-topic and pedantic but... A "deus ex machina" is specifically a term for a bad literary device, a resolution achieved through an unforeseen, illogical and inane plot twist (the term comes from ancient Greek plays where a seemingly irreparable state of affairs at the end of a play was often solved through the intervention of a god who was lowered onto the stage by mechanical means, thus "deus ex machina").

Not every plot twist is a "deus ex machina".

As for the Confederacy, I think they are much more interesting in their current near extinct state. Not only does it leave any secret technologies they developed to be unearthed, but as a smaller and weaker faction their motivations would be much stronger and more involving (it is also intriguing to see what makes them different from other rebel groups (Sons of Korhal and Raynor's Raiders), they definitely have some extremely shady leaders if to judge by Duran).

Quote Originally Posted by Eligor View Post
    Errr... I'm writing this at the danger of being too off-topic and pedantic but... A "deus ex machina" is specifically a term for a bad literary device, a resolution achieved through an unforeseen, illogical and inane plot twist (the term comes from ancient Greek plays where a seemingly irreparable state of affairs at the end of a play was often solved through the intervention of a god who was lowered onto the stage by mechanical means, thus "deus ex machina").

Not every plot twist is a "deus ex machina".
    If I'm not mistaken, a deus ex machina is a plot device that features a situation where an unforeseen external force appears without prior mention or development that conveniently solves or moves the plot in the desired direction. In the case of the Psi Disruptor, it conveniently appears just prior to when it becomes a crucial plot element with no prior hints at its appearance. There was no prior suggestion that the Confederates had such capabilities. It also raises the question of why the Confederates didn't use the Disruptor before they were overrun if they had a functioning one as well as how it survived once the planet was overrun by Zerg. In that regard, logic can be challenged.