Thread: The Academy: Challenge Accepted

Default The Academy: Challenge Accepted

An earlier post at the Starcraft II site:

Hidden Content:
    The Academy: Challenge Accepted
    by Zhydaris // 03-Feb-2011 13:00:00 UTC 41

Welcome to the Academy, fellow StarCraft II player! In this series we will examine ways to approach and improve your multiplayer skills. Let’s start with something both really simple and really important: single player Challenges.

There are nine Challenges available and mastering them all will help improve your skills and overall knowledge of the units. It doesn’t matter if you’re a terran, protoss, or zerg player; the Challenges have you covered. There are three challenges of increasing difficulty available for each race and completing them all certainly won’t be a cakewalk.

Once you’ve earned the gold medal in all Challenges you’ll be intimately familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of every unit. Your multitasking skills will also improve, as the advanced Challenges especially will require you to handle many things at once. These advanced Challenges will help prepare you to fight off most of those aggressive rushes that might normally cause you problems.

If you only play as one race you might well be thinking, “What’s the point in playing the other races’ Challenges?” To paraphrase Sun Tzu, ‘know your enemy and yourself and you need not fear a hundred battles’! By playing the other races’ Challenges you will understand your opponent and gain a crucial advantage when you face them.

By honing your skills in the Challenges you will take your first step toward some thrilling, entertaining and fun multiplayer matches. Perhaps you’ve already earned a gold medal in all of the Challenges? If you did, why don’t you share some tips with your fellow players? What tactics would you recommend?

Stay tuned for the next Academy courses, which will cover training against AI opponents and the importance of teaming up with an experienced player who can help you improve!

Source

So it seems they are trying to teach some multiplayer to the community. While the intention is good, it is rather hard, seeing as how the game is evolving. Any comments?

Default Re: The Academy: Challenge Accepted

Well the challenges are at a slower game speed. And I managed to get gold on all of them before I even did any laddering of any kind. Would be nice to have some fun new challenges.

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/263528/1/JHammer/

For people of the opinion "I completely will never pay for anything" but still wanting to watch GSL VODs....PM me. (Hint: Sharing is caring)

If you're making an account just to PM me.....don't waste your time.

MuppZA's Avatar Junior Member

I know some friends that has a hard time with these challenges and has just ignored them, but if they want to improve its a good way of getting better. I myself have gold in all, it would be fun with some new and even harder ones^^

But i guess that the higher level of laddering play is the real challenge!

<-Is it just me or does it look like the Mohandar avatar is... jacking off o.O

dustinbrowder's Avatar Banned

I suggest they work on improving their design skill and better make HOTS story, custom maps screen and other things a whole lot better!

Quote Originally Posted by Arkalis View Post
    An earlier post at the Starcraft II site:

So it seems they are trying to teach some multiplayer to the community. While the intention is good, it is rather hard, seeing as how the game is evolving. Any comments?
    The game is evolving in WHAT is happening in each match up. But having a solid sense of lower game mechanics will always be important and never change. Knowing the HOW and WHY of macro/micro will improve lower level players faster than knowing "what build I should be doing". The Challenges teach people basic counters, basic control, and the last ones teach basic econ management and a tiny bit of macroing while under pressure. They are not the be all end all teaching tools, but they are a good start.

Blizzard is tackling a large fear that many new players have about multiplayer: "I do not know what I am doing, and keep losing, so I do not want to play". They may not know about any strategy forums or teaching available to help them learn to play, so they get bored of the game and leave it. Blizzard knows that this game is not the easiest to learn how to play well, so they are taking it on themselves to help those in need and push them in a good direction of learning. I am all for them helping out the new players. We were all new at some point, and we all had to learn from someone or something else.
    I realize that I change my signature often. All I can say to that is: SO??? HAI FIVE!! (*・∀・)/♡\(・∀・*)

If you like anyone's post, be sure to give them additional rep.

They needed to have challenges for Zerg base management - someone just starting out would probably have been frustrated wondering why their Spawning Pool couldn't produce Zerglings.

It was a pretty big oversight, imo, to not have at least a standalone tutorial for Protoss and Zerg - even if it's just a little overview video that highlights the key differences.
    The only place for a hamshank is on the dinner plate!

There's a reason why Edward Longshanks was an evil git in 'Braveheart'! Down with the shanks! All of them!

Strange they didn't include challenges specifically designed to train users on the use of macro mechanics. These are fundamental to the game, and not necessarily obvious to new SC2 players.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUNT View Post
    They needed to have challenges for Zerg base management - someone just starting out would probably have been frustrated wondering why their Spawning Pool couldn't produce Zerglings.

It was a pretty big oversight, imo, to not have at least a standalone tutorial for Protoss and Zerg - even if it's just a little overview video that highlights the key differences.
    That's addressed in the single player campaign. The protoss missions are pretty specific with how to build things. The only thing they don't have is chrono boost mechanics. They'll probably get their tutorial stuff in Legacy of the Void.

The zerg are a bit indirect during the campaign but when you attack a zerg base, the hatcheries will build units with the larvae. However, I agree that the zerg should of been given something. The mechanic of units are faster on creep was lost on a few friends because they thought it was the same as SC:BW. The queens should of been given a specific tutorial about larvae injecting and tumoring.