Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: StarCraft 2 Campaign: Personal thoughts and opinons

Eivind's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: StarCraft 2 Campaign: Personal thoughts and opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    In retrospect, the question is a little odd given the time gap. I guess if I could reword it; Do you think Raynors' change of heart, so to speak, happened during or before WoL? and if before, would it've been something worth exploring in WoL?
    Well, it's never answered directly, so I can only speculate. I think he exited Brood War with a lot of anger, and though that anger probably didn't disappear over the last 4 years, it might have calmed, at least somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    Now, I know you've just answered that by saying his change is due to an opportunity arising during WoL for Raynor to change his stance during WoL (that's what I think you're saying anyway) but looking at Raynor at the beginning of WoL, I get the feeling that he's already had his change of heart before, and not when, the opportunity in WoL arises
    You are correct, that is what I'm saying. Obviously, he couldn't have made that decision before Valerian appears (because that would be illogical). I think he might have changed his stance before in the sense that he is has grown more depressed. It's as if he's looking for a way out that he thinks doesn't exist, even though we later learn that it does.

Default Re: StarCraft 2 Campaign: Personal thoughts and opinons

Three fleets are far from 8 billion people and in both SC original and Brood War she didn't do that much of killing. In WoL, on the other hand, it is stated that Terran casualties were in the billions.
    Karass aka XEL

Eivind's Avatar Junior Member

The three fleets was just an example, a part of a bigger whole. And yes, part of those billions were from WoL, but I'm not sure I see the motivation for Dominion destruction still.

To completely destroy Mengsk and also continue Swarm's mission of expanding and assimilating, of course. She also wants to assimilate the Protoss as hinted in The Dark Templar Saga.
    Last edited by Karass; 01-12-2011 at 04:02 PM.
    Karass aka XEL

Quote Originally Posted by Karass View Post
    She also wants to assimilate the Protoss as hinted in The Dark Templar Saga.
    And that is one of the biggest problems I had with the game, it's reliant on too much outside material.

I can understand them laying out things in the manual, at least it comes with what I paid for.

But anything beyond that is just stupid!!

In Starcraft and Brood War, all I needed with the manual and the game.

RedLetterMedia summed up the 'All in the Manual' Trope best:

"And don't any of you *** heads tell me that it was explained more in the novelization or some Star Wars book. What matters is the movie. I ain't never read one of those Star Wars books, or any books in general for that matter. And I ain't about to start. Don't talk about them stupid videogames or novels, comic books, or any of that *** ing crap. I've seen enough of that shit."

And even then they didn't even follow the novels. In Twilight, Zeratul knew about the hybrids and Duran!!

In WoL he also does know about them. But he doesn't know who Duran really is.
    Karass aka XEL

Quote Originally Posted by Karass View Post
    In WoL he also does know about them. But he doesn't know who Duran really is.
    "A protoss and zerg hybrid...? By the gods...who created such an abomination..."

The, abeit, poor delivery of the line, and the line itself, say otherwise...

The fact that he immediately knew what he was looking at would likely be enough proof if you were not blinded by hate.

Um, gee, something that looks like a combination of a Protoss and a Zerg, I think that's called a "dsaj;fje;na;hf;ehfh"

Um, if I was to see a creature that had a shark's body and Octopus tentacles I'd assume just by looking it was a hybrid of a shark and an octopus. Which by the way was made into a sci-fi movie.

Besides, that hybrid resembled Tyrael more than anything else.

The line said by Zeratul is (taken from Gradius's transcript for WoL):

A... protoss and zerg hybrid... Gods, an abomination! Who created this atrocity?
    I agree the delivery and the choice of words is quite bad. As it is right now, it can easily be taken as Zeratul being senile and seemingly forgetful of Duran's schemes.

Then again, the question can be taken as Zeratul noticing something different about this hybrid (Maar) than the one's he has seen previously made by Duran and he is asking who made this particular hybrid. The reason why Zeratul is not specifying this is because the line is an internal monologue based on what he already knows, such that if you were in Zeratul's mind, you'd actually understand what he really meant.

I'm tending to think that the latter is supposed to be true but the actual execution comes off as being the former. It's also quite funny that in order to resolve the "problem" of making Zeratul sound senile is that you have to tackle the line in an obtuse manner to get satisfaction that Zeratul is NOT senile.
    Last edited by Turalyon; 01-13-2011 at 03:33 AM.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.