Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: StarCraft 2 Campaign: Personal thoughts and opinons

Default Re: StarCraft 2 Campaign: Personal thoughts and opinons

Raynor's sworn to kill the Queen of Blades, that bitch who killed Fenix and caused so much misery. And de-infesting Sarah is as good as killing the Queen of Blades. For some reason some people refuse to realize that.
    Karass aka XEL

Eivind's Avatar Junior Member

Well, now we're into the whole "Is QoB two separate persons, or one?" debate, which I myself will not be the first to enter.

You make a fair point, though, Karass. To Raynor it might be enough. However, as we will see in HotS, it might not be good enough to others. Zeratul, for example, is probably not as forgiving, so that might make Raynor choose between those two (Zeratul will only ally with Kerrigan due to the prophecy).

Arcturus Mengsk: It’s been a while since Rebel Yell, and while Mengsk certainly hasn’t changed much (he still underestimates the threat of the Zerg, as he keeps going after his human enemies), he has faded into the background somewhat. He had a role in Brood War, but it wasn’t as big as in the first game. In StarCraft 2, his role is even smaller than in the expansion, though his importance to the plot has actually increased, as he is now the primary antagonist. Or is he? Whatever role Mengsk will play in Heart of the Swarm is uncertain, but as Wings of Liberty goes, people have been frequent to note that his appearance is actually quite small. Indeed, we never get a glimpse of him in person, only through television screens and holograms. This reminds me of how George Clooney chose to portray Joseph McCarthy in Good Night, and Good Luck, which was (you guessed it) through television screens (holograms were scant in those days). Now, while I don’t think Mengsk suffers much from his limited appearance, as his limited screen time does little to dull his character, the same cannot be said for the game. In the original StarCraft, Mengsk was a powerful man, whose personality played a grand part, most evident in the Terran campaign. Reduced to a shadowy figure, Mengsk is sorely missed from most of Wings of Liberty. That being said, I do believe him being absent made the confrontation between him and Raynor on the Bucephalus feel extra weighty. As the final victory text says, Mengsk still remains on the throne after the end of the game, so there is still time for Blizzard to give him his dues before the story finishes.

A side note: while I’ve always Mengsk as a Stalinesque figure (the change from revolutarionary to dictator, the similarly styled propaganda, the red flag), there is also a little of the US in him too. This was seen more clearly in Rebel Yell, where he made the following comment about Duke: “He may be a snake, but he’s our snake now”. This echoes a mythical line that Franklin D. Roosevelt supposedly said about the Nicaraguan dictator Anastasio Somoza García: ”He may be a son of a bitch, but he’s our son of a bitch”. Historians are not certain FDR really said this, but nonetheless, it seems to have stuck, as it so aptly describes the USA’s shaky relationship with dictators. It also describes Arcturus Mengsk, who is exactly the kind of guy who chooses allies on the criteria of usefulness, and not morality.

Zeratul: Apart from a few cameo appearances in In Utter Darkness and the Haven mission, Wings of Liberty is short on Protoss characters. The only one who really plays a pivotal part is Zeratul, the Dark Templar prelate who exited Brood War with the knowledge that Samir Duran was creating Protoss/Zerg hybrids. In StarCraft 2, he makes a brief appearance where he hands Raynor a memory crystal, which brings us up to speed to what the hell he has been doing all these years. For Zeratul has been a busy Protoss, having seen a vision of the Overmind, given by his old comrade Tassadar, who was presumed dead. The vision depicts the end of the world by the hands of the Dark Voice, a mysterious being who supposedly commands the hybrids. Most ominous of all, is that Kerrigan seems to be the only who can stop this.

Sadly, Jack Ritschel, the voice actor who played Zeratul in the original game, passed away. Listening to clips of him only makes it such a bummer that his replacement, Fred Tatasciore, didn’t live up to the expectations for a lot of people, including yours truly. However, what is most interesting isn’t Tatasciore’s poor performance, but the fact that it occasionally is quite good. In the cinematic where Zeratul reunites with Raynor, and the one where he is fights Kerrigan, Zeratul sounds much better than he does in the missions. If he was constantly weak, it’d be one thing, but the inconsistencies makes the bad parts hard to bear, as we know the guy has it in him. Zeratul looks cool in the gorgeous cinematics, but it’s sad to see character who gave quite a speech in The Trial of Tassadar having to rely on shutting a mouth he doesn’t have, to come off as positive. Considering the fact that he’ll probably play quite a part in Legacy of the Void, this is an important topic for Blizzard to adress.

Sarah Kerrigan: Like Arcturus Mengsk, Kerrigan didn’t make much of an appearance in Wings of Liberty, though she did play an unexpected pivotal role, plot-wise. Arguably the series’ most important character, she reappears in the sequel leading a new Zerg invasion, but her goal doesn’t seem to be domination anymore, but the retrieval of the Xel’Naga artifacts. Having seen something of the future or at least learned about what it might have in store for her, Kerrigan is a different character than she was in Brood War. Part of that might be because of the change of voice actors; Glynnis Talken was replaced with Battlestar Galactica star Tricia Helfer. But even if that change hadn’t taken place, there would still be a difference, as Kerrigan’s priorities have changed. They were never crystal clear before, but now, for reasons too early to tell, she seems to have other goals, and it has changed her.

The old Kerrigan was more mocking and less sympathetic. Even though she has quite a few lines boasting about herself and some where she talks down her enemies, like in Brood War, she doesn’t have the same spit and venom as before. Her visual appearance has changed too. Before, she was somewhat ugly and deformed; now she is more of a dark femme fatale. Sure, she’s not about to win a beauty pageant, but at least she has more of a chance than her old self. While writing this, I realize I don’t actually have a clear opinion on Kerrigan as a character in WoL. The above observations are exactly that: observations. They’re not necessarily critiques. The true verdict on Kerrigan as a character will no doubt be more complete after Heart of the Swarm.

Valerian Mengsk: Valerian is the son of Arcturus Mengsk, and the heir to the throne of the Dominion. Despite not being required to do it to become emperor, Valerian nonetheless has a need to prove himself, which he apparently does by reassembling Xel’Naga artifact fragments to construct a device with the ability to reverse the infestation of Kerrigan. As you all know, he succeeds in doing this in Wings of Liberty. His appearance in the game is quite short, though I wouldn’t be surprised if he still has a major role to play. He is, after all, the owner of the Moebius Foundation, which is run by a certain Dr. Emil Narud. Whether Valerian knows himself or is just being played is still a mystery, though it is possible that it is he, and not his father, who is creating hybrids on Castanar (though the possibility that it is neither also exists).

It wouldn’t be original to point out Valerian’s resemblance to Arthas in WarCraft III. However, I doubt their similarities will prove to be anything but superficial. Sure, he is a blonde prince, but Valerian seems intent to do good to prove himself. Or does he? It is interesting how everything points to him being the antithesis to his father, and yet there is little evidence to suggest that he actually is. Sure, they have their differences, but as can be seen in the biography on the official site, he seems intent to prove himself to Arcturus, who, as you all know, has quite the wrong outlook on leadership. Much of what Valerian says and how he says it may very well be hints about his true nature. When Raynor asks if he is really just a cog in Valerian’s machine, Valerian openly admits this. And the way he says, “Everything is going as I planned” has my suspicious senses going on full alarm. Time will show if he is good or if he’s just power hungry.

Horace Warfield: Warfield is a decorated Dominion general, who has been an acquaintance of Mengsk since before the Sons of Korhal. It is safe to suggest he is quite up to speed on how the former prospector views his own role, which begs the question: is there more to Warfield than meets the eye? In the game he is quite sympathetic, openly admitting to Raynor that he was not the “devil” he thought he was, which seems to suggest that he is not immune to Mengsk’s propaganda, and yet, he never speaks down on Mengsk. This doesn’t suggest he is one to distrust, but the way his biography describes his willingness to go along with the Tarsonis genocide, even if it was more for personal reasons than anything else, does in my opinion say a lot. Who knows, perhaps it isn’t either father or son Mengsk who is doing Duran’s bidding on Castanar, but Warfield. Maybe it is a stretch, but the guy has a role to play in the expansions, and if it’s going to take 18 months, one might as do some wild speculating.

Actually, Kerrigan waged the war on Koprulu not just for the artifacts, buts also to destroy the Dominion (as Raynor points out) and I'm sure the Swarm battled Protoss as well.
    Karass aka XEL

Quote Originally Posted by Karass View Post
    Actually, Kerrigan waged the war on Koprulu not just for the artifacts, buts also to destroy the Dominion (as Raynor points out) and I'm sure the Swarm battled Protoss as well.
    She did?

Default Re: StarCraft 2 Campaign: Personal thoughts and opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Eivind View Post
    I guess that depends on how you characterize Raynor in BW and WoL. I'm guessing you're thinking about the death of Fenix, which Raynor swore to avenge, and which he now has supposedly forgotten all about.

Metzen and Kindregan actually answered a question about that, saying that, "Raynor certainly hasn't forgotten about Fenix". They also said that him going back on his promise on Kerrigan was due to the fact that getting her back was not an alternative back then. I'm not saying that, if it was, he wouldn't be mad at her or want to have her killed, but the reason he changes his heart now is because a new opportunity is arisen. I accept that, and I think the transition is pretty good.

You say, "Do you think Raynor's character is a seamless transition from where we found him at the end of BW to the start of WoL?", which is a bit odd to ask, as 4 years have passed. Time is not an all-applying explanation tool for everything, but in this case, it helps to consider it. For Raynor, I think, Kerrigan represents some kind of salvation or redemption for him. Killing Mengsk is about revenge and justification, but it doesn't back anything for Kerrigan. Rescuing Kerrigan does.
    In retrospect, the question is a little odd given the time gap. I guess if I could reword it; Do you think Raynors' change of heart, so to speak, happened during or before WoL? and if before, would it've been something worth exploring in WoL? Now, I know you've just answered that by saying his change is due to an opportunity arising during WoL for Raynor to change his stance during WoL (that's what I think you're saying anyway) but looking at Raynor at the beginning of WoL, I get the feeling that he's already had his change of heart before, and not when, the opportunity in WoL arises.

I agree with what your saying in your 3rd paragraph about the ultimate throughline of the story - Kerrigan being representative of Raynor's guilt as well as the source of his redemption - though we may differ on how this message is conveyed effectively.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

Raynor should find Gestalt Zero and forge an alliance. Gestalt Zero would kick so much ass, and he'd be such a badass hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Eivind View Post
    She did?
    Well, yeah, she did. I'm sure she invaded most of the Terran worlds and killed 8 billion people not just for fun, especially considering that most of the artifacts are located outside of Terran space (Monlyth, Xil, Sigma Quadrant, Typhoon XI), and Raynor specifcally says "she has come to finish th job". Besides, we know from The Dark Templar Saga (great trilogy BTW, check it out) that Kerrigan wants to get revenge on Arcturus and hopes to assimilate the Protoss.
    Karass aka XEL

Quote Originally Posted by Karass View Post
    Well, yeah, she did. I'm sure she invaded most of the Terran worlds and killed 8 billion people not just for fun, especially considering that most of the artifacts are located outside of Terran space (Monlyth, Xil, Sigma Quadrant, Typhoon XI), and Raynor specifcally says "she has come to finish th job". Besides, we know from The Dark Templar Saga (great trilogy BTW, check it out) that Kerrigan wants to get revenge on Arcturus and hopes to assimilate the Protoss.
    Raynor saying that was because that was what he initially thought. When the Swarm first emerged, there was no apparent reason and Raynor could not think of any other reason to. Plus, it made for a nice, dramatic cinematic. Kerrigan attacked all those planets because she did not know where the Artifacts were. So, she basically sent her forces to all corners of the galaxy.

Yeah, that's what I thought. The 8 billion part is probably referring to the events before WoL. She did quite a few killings then too, remember? In Omega alone, her minions alone destroyed three gigantic fleets.

She didn't kill people in WoL for fun, that's correct, but she had to kill them if she wanted to get the artifacts. Raynor's quote, as mr. pesant says, is not fact, but interpretation.