Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebirth for the new tier-2 Roach

Raisk's Avatar Junior Member

Question Rebirth for the new tier-2 Roach

The Roach is one unit that hasn't really wowed me in any way yet, sure it has a fast regen, which can be upgraded to be even faster and I assume the unit will become more interesting now that it's been moved up in tier and its role is being shifted to that of a tank.

But I was just looking at the Thor in the starcraft wikia and thought its mechanical rebirth ability would actually suit the Roach quite well. Obviously switch the name to something like Biological Rebirth.

It would work like so: When a Roach dies their body goes into this inactive state and any units firing on them quickly switch targets. For an investment of some resources the Zerg player can pick out some of their Roaches to resurrect. Obviously there would be some sort of visual representation of this resurrection, like a green cloud around the unit or something.

In gameplay let's say a player had just finished killing all the Roaches once, obviously at this point their units would begin auto-targeting the "dead" Roaches as well and they wouldn't need to be manually targeted. But if the Zerg player managed to fight off the attack, he could potentially bring his entire Roach force back to life, if he had the resources to do it. A 'dead' Roach would have about half the hit points of a live one.

Just wondering what you guys think of giving this ability to the Roach?

Default Re: Rebirth for the new tier-2 Roach

Totally unnecessary.

The Roach was always a tank, and the only Zerg activated abilities are casters, burrow and evolutions.

Raisk's Avatar Junior Member

and the only Zerg activated abilities are casters, burrow and evolutions.
    Which is probably why SC2 Zerg seem really boring. At least to me.

Besides that used to pretty much be the case for SC1 Protoss too, the only exception being the Corsair with its disruption web. Every other unit with an activated ability was a caster (building interceptors/scarabs isn't really an ability) Now every Protoss unit and its mom has an activated ability.

You are of course entitled to your opinion.

Mmm...I prefer to see the roach doing a visual melee attack with its huge pair of axes.
    Find Humanity ... Assimilate ... Learn ... Evolve.

Syrilus's Avatar Junior Member

In my opinion the resurrection ability which you would give the roach, will make this unit very imbalanced and strong.

Of course it would be cool to watch and use this ability, however since the main ability of the roach is to regenerate it's body quickly after taken damage, a "biological rebirth" would be totally superior and unfair against the enemy.

For instance: This scenario, you attack a strong forced player with your roach army and hold your zergling/baneling mixture back the roach army would "die" but many of the enemy's units have died as well.

Then you attack with your mixture forcing the player to retreat his units and in the same time, resurrect your roaches and attack again which would give you almost your hole army back into play as you had it before.

Mmm...I prefer to see the roach doing a visual melee attack with its huge pair of axes.
    There's a specific reason it hasn't a melee attack. In this instance, if you mix it with Zerglings, there won't be enough room for both groups of units to attack enemy targets. With the ranged attack, that's possible.

Which is probably why SC2 Zerg seem really boring. At least to me.
    No, the Zerg army seems boring because there's only 6 new units, and many of them are very, very similar to old units. Also because there's very few ways of expanding on the Zerg when their racial mechanic is pretty much 'the most simple units ever'.
    Last edited by Aldrius; 08-02-2009 at 03:53 AM.

Making anything closer to the thor is a big no-no to me...
    I really can't stand that unit... it's like, since the siege tank isn't necessarily a staple unit for terran, they now have to add a big dumb unit with a bunch of aptitiudes that have absolutely nothing to do with it's rôle as a GtA, that just so happens to move really slowly, so they can slow down a terran mech heavy army... The whole unit is not only a gimmick, but it isn't even coherent imo.

The roach on the other hand is perfect. It's a reallllly annoying unit to handle without specific measures. I hope they don't buff it up too much, and make it cost too much money though. That would be sad. It still has to be a light/medium unit that's pretty cheap to produce, but regens quickly (and DOES die quickly to focus fire). Having it resurect doesn't make much sense to me. Isn't the whole essence of zerg that it's easier to make a new unit than to conserve/repair the old one? This is really about gameplay to me, and the fact that as a zerg, after every move you make, your first reflex is to go back to your core unit: the larvae.

Bobo's Avatar Junior Member

-30 hp to roach, + rebirth (to less then half hp) and it perfect unit imo. The idea of "rebirth" (they dont actualy DIE when they are at 0 hit points) is logical in fact. Did any of you ever had cockroaches in kitchen?? It's rly impressive how they are so hard to kill with blunt smashes! Forget about newspaper as your weapon, you need weighty slipper to do the job!
    Take a look at Wall-E's little cockroach friend! They are just like that, almost imposible to kill!
    My idea about zerg roaches: make them smaller, with less hp, a bit less damage, but give them have insane armor, rapid hp regen (like they do have now), and rebirth to 1/3 hp.

I find the Roach truly uninspired.

I find the roach adds an exciting gameplay element to Starcraft, and strategizing around it's high regen rate sounds fun and potentially has a lot of depth.