PDA

View Full Version : Time to advertise SCL

Wankey
06-26-2009, 11:33 AM
I think we need to get more and more people coming to SCL. This place should be the heart of all SC2 related things.

Now I do like other sites like StarcraftWire and SC2pod and SC2gg etc, but seriously, there are 500 websites out there splitting the community into a thousand little pieces.

Whilst the beta competitions are good, they lack fanfare and doesn't really attract that many people (other places have this as well)

What are the plans to get SCL bigger and better than every other site? How can the community help?

Gradius
06-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Well, it's definitely being worked on, but it won't happen overnight. First we need to get our page rank back up in google. We used to be on top, but SEO is something you always have to stay on top of, it's always changing, and we've been neglecting it due to our all-around lack of staff. Our YouTube marketing has been pretty successful I think. You'll find at least one of our videos in every major StarCraft 2 term search, and our channel/logo itself appears when you type in starcraft 2.

We've been thinking ahead to when the game actually comes out and are making improvements in that regard. We've also got more site improvements coming down the pipes, partnerships with other sites and other projects. SC:L used to be known for its event coverage & now that our server won't be going down every time there's a major event, we can get back to that. As practically the oldest SC site on the planet, we've also got our name to rely on. All the players from the golden age of StarCraft (and there are many of them), will remember us when they buy StarCraft 2.

How can the community help? Well, anyone who has lots of time on their hands should look into joining the staff. We're always willing to hire people who want to help & have enough time to do so. And we need more guest editorials. It's how we're recognized in the community and once the game actually comes out, people will fall back on us for our exclusive content instead of random sites' occasional news updates. There will also be more opportunities for the community to help out in the future. :)

Wankey
06-26-2009, 12:05 PM
I am willing to offer my time to write some editorials. Already have some in mind. My talents are actually in graphics design so if you need help on that front, I'll be happy to oblige.

But yeah, I really want to see this site get up there and being a busy hub for Starcraft players.

Currently, it feels like a ghost town now that even the Blizzforums community is split between this site and another. There are a bunch of stragglers and forum goers on other sites like SCArmory, SC2pod etc that should be here. I mean their places are even lonelier ghost towns.

Hammy
06-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah I'm not sure why everyone didn't just move here when the new forums opened. Is there any way to encourage that a bit more? (real question :p)

Gritten
06-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Yeah I'm not sure why everyone didn't just move here when the new forums opened. Is there any way to encourage that a bit more? (real question :p)

In general...a large portion of people fear / dislike change. Take a look at some of the outrage when the forums moved from BF to here. Encouraging more to come to SCL isn't an extremely difficult task, we all just need to provide the incentive / reasoning for people to do so. That can be through exclusive content, site features, and the amazing community we have already established. These things just take time. As Gradius mentioned about site ratings growing with goggle and such with more presence there will more of the "Oh ya! SCL" type visitors. We need to re-establish the footprint to help bring on the new comers as well.

Gritten

n00bonicPlague
06-26-2009, 03:12 PM
I was actually working on a "commercial" video for this site, but all of my video stuff was fried recently.

BTW

Searching "starcraft" put us on page 6.
Searching "starcraft fan" put us on page 5.
Searching "starcraft 2", put us beyond page 50 :(
Searching "starcraft legacy" put us at the top -- as it should :)

LordofAscension
06-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Currently, it feels like a ghost town now that even the Blizzforums community is split between this site and another. There are a bunch of stragglers and forum goers on other sites like SCArmory, SC2pod etc that should be here. I mean their places are even lonelier ghost towns.

Signatures are a great way to help us - not only do the links get searched but it could drive people here. We have some great stuff in the works and we're hoping that will help us get recognized more as well. Pretty much everything Gradius said. With all that being said if you guys have suggestions those would go a long way in ensuring that our resources are going to where they can best be used.

Searching "starcraft" put us on page 6.
Searching "starcraft fan" put us on page 5.
Searching "starcraft 2", put us beyond page 50 :(
Searching "starcraft legacy" put us at the top -- as it should :)

This is actively being worked on - but if you go and bump us up - search for us and click us that will help as well!

<3

~LoA

Blazur
06-30-2009, 11:25 AM
With all that being said if you guys have suggestions those would go a long way in ensuring that our resources are going to where they can best be used.

Start ramping up your social media campaigns. As much as you might hate doing it, getting yourselves more prominent in Facebook and Twitter is a great way to increase exposure and improve rankings.

Could also consider adding social bookmark buttons for each article to propagate them into Digg and similar sites.

http://www.addthis.com/
http://sharethis.com/

Also, one of the SC2 sequels will likely be called "Legacy of the Void", which means many people will be searching for "StarCraft" and "Legacy" in the same query. Try and capitalize off that by stamping the word legacy all over your site. Consider changing your page title to "StarCraft Legacy" instead of just "SCLegacy", and also bury that phrase in alt and title tags for many of your graphics.

Another thing I noticed is that many of your articles aren't even showing up on google.
http://sclegacy.com/feature/33-bc-08/342-staff-starcraft-ii-gameplay-impressions
http://tinyurl.com/nwjlb4

Something about the way its built is keeping buried pages from getting indexed. Could be the heavy use of graphics which is bogging it down. Consider adding a /sitemap.xml file to get the full site indexed properly.

Gradius
06-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Good advice Blazur - we've already discussed lots of that stuff internally. :)

rise
07-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Thank you for the feedback, Wankey, n00bonicPlague, and Blazur. Specifically,

Re: sitemap. To-do list. Google unindexed us when we updated the vBulleten CMS on the previous StarCraft: Legacy version. The release of the current version has come with a substantial "To-Do" list.

Re: social networking. This is something that interests me greatly. Gradius mentioned our YouTube marketing, which has been moderately successful (certainly worth the investment). There are a number of directions we could take this, but the reality is that we have priorities in our content and coverage. If you have the opportunity to publish an article or some Twitterfic, which would you choose. While the best article is worthless if no one knows about it, social networking, without thoughtful and consistent investment, won't help enough. Social networking is something that will be done, though, just not at this time. We'll look into some preparation work for it.

Re: forum drama. I think the best way to attract previous and additional users in a forum is to have intelligent, knowledgeable, and respectful posting. The onus is on all of us to accomplish. The discussion in this thread is an excellent example of what this community can do.

Re: interested in helping? We are planning to "hire" additional staff soon. Details will be forthcoming as we're still preparing. The application process will have multiple requirements (think of it as opportunities to demonstrate how great you are) and stages.

Re: communal overload. The StarCraft community is split between many websites. My solution to improve the situation is to collaborate and reach out to websites. This is done on a project by project basis usually. However, the tone of the community, like in a forum, is an important part. Proper sourcing is an example of ways ti improve the community lately (i.e. if you write something excellent, you will be properly recognized for your hard work and skill).

Thank you for your refreshing input.
rise

Gritten
07-07-2009, 08:06 PM
I got the page names taken care of finally. So that parts taken care of, it was high on my priority list.

I know we've been doing a scan of the alt tags as well.

It's a lot of work rebuilding the exposure, and it doesn't change over night. Generally it takes a couple of months for changes to really take effect on page ranking.

But good advice from everyone.

Wankey
07-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Well done on the 3D movie, that was a huge boost.

LordofAscension
07-09-2009, 05:39 PM

~LoA

Maul
08-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Bring back chit chat imo

LordofAscension
08-06-2009, 01:48 PM
BlizzForums (http://blizzforums.com) has chit chat. We never have, so we can't bring it back. But here we're mostly focused on talking about SC - we have off-topic for all of our other needs.

:)

~LoA

n00bonicPlague
12-26-2009, 01:46 AM
Making a thoughtful bump of this thread to notify y'all of our epic google climb 6 months after this thread's creation.

"Starcraft" = #1 on page 2 :D
"Starcraft 2" = #10 on page 9
"Starcraft II" = #7 on page 21
"Legacy" = #3 on page 4

EndlessSky
12-27-2009, 02:56 AM
Hmmm, well I don't use any of those social networking sites like facebook, twitter, or myspace but maybe I should if just to advertise this website :P.

The_Blade
12-28-2009, 09:15 PM
I feel someone just watched the "Blizzard Inspired on Nintendo" thread.

I don't think it might be a popularity sidestep. SC:L was out for a year at most during its remodel. That's basically enough time to take it down in the ranks. It might take some more months at most to be back at the top. On another example, search StarCraft.org. Was nowhere to be found for at least 2 or 3 months and its rank fell some pages and now it is back on.