PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the "Holo Deck"

Pandonetho
06-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Just some feed back, and this is all just my personal thoughts but...

Ever since it has been moved to the off topic lounge I find myself visiting it less and less often.

I feel that because of it just being in the off topic lounge, that discourages users from going to the Holo Deck. Most of the time, my mouse cursor doesn't even go below the line that separates the main discussion forums and the off topic forum. It's because the off topic forum just naturally has less relative material pertaining to my interests and I only go there occasionally when I'm bored and stuff. I know that you can also just click on the holo deck forum from the directory but that doesn't really change anything that I've said above.

As is, I visit the SC2 general discussion forum every day, and as such when the art thread was still in this forum, I checked it every time there was a single new post.
I feel that this may be the same way many users feel, but just my opinion, after having had the Holo Deck for some time now.

Gradius
06-02-2010, 11:48 AM
In other words, nobody wants to read anything outside of StarCraft 2 discussion?

Perfecttear
06-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Why don't you put it in the lore section, instead of oftopic?

LordofAscension
06-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Because there's lots of art besides SC art in the Holo-Deck.

~LoA

The_Blade
06-02-2010, 05:48 PM
I have to agree, I share the same feeling Pandonetho. Else, i don't think it is a problem with the place and it's rather in the name of the sub-forum.

I would just ask to a name change with the word "ART" on it.

Kacaier
06-02-2010, 09:14 PM
I would just ask to a name change with the word "ART" on it.
I concur with this suggestion. I think it's better to just go with a more self-explanatory name, rather than something witty. Although I do love Star Trek, but I'm not sure that's why you named it so. :p

Visions of Khas
06-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Its name probably contributes, and also the fact that it's a sub-forum. However, except for the first few weeks after its establishment, it never garnered a great deal of attention, which really depresses me. I had thought that the sizable artist population here would be more productive. But I can't really comment, given I've not contributed much myself. Perhaps it's too specialized? I'd love for it to be an umbrella forum encompassing any other media, like video, music, stories, etc.

Sarov
06-04-2010, 12:43 AM
In other words, nobody wants to read anything outside of StarCraft 2 discussion?

That obviously isn't true. The proof is in the fact that, when the art thread was in the StarCraft 2 Discussion board, it received a ton of visits. The problem is that no-one visits the off-topic forums. If not many people travel there, other people won't. Besides if no one wanted to read anything outside of StarCraft 2 discussion, why did the art thread get so big in the first place?

Its name probably contributes, and also the fact that it's a sub-forum. However, except for the first few weeks after its establishment, it never garnered a great deal of attention, which really depresses me. I had thought that the sizable artist population here would be more productive. But I can't really comment, given I've not contributed much myself. Perhaps it's too specialized? I'd love for it to be an umbrella forum encompassing any other media, like video, music, stories, etc.

Yes, it is depressing. I love art and showing off my art - and people commenting on how much they like it too, of course - is one of the things that makes me happiest. I love art. I like making it and I like looking at it. I made an art thread on this forum before, and I was going to continue making more art but at the time I didn't have my computer or my tablet - which I do now. I also like looking to see what other members can do but no one posts anymore. It's a 'barren wasteland' over there, so to speak.

Well, at one point Visions of Khas, I was planning to make my own art thread and constantly update it - at least once every week or two - but I never had any good art to share. I once had an idea for a story but I didn't feel like putting it in the same thread as my art since I would run out of characters pretty quick. Also making a second thread didn't seem right.

It would be nice for it to encompass other things. Maybe make it a board in the General Forums with sub-forums for music, art, writing etc?

The main problem, though, is that no one really visits the off-topic board. The other problem is that it will definitely include things that aren't StarCraft-related which is why we - the staff - can't put it with the StarCraft-related boards. I, for one, will be sad if this doesn't work out; which is seeming more and more likely given the current state of the 'Holo Deck'. I like sharing my art with you guys. :(

LordofAscension
06-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Find a better name that is still themed with the site and I will change it. Barring that - there aren't many other places for it to go. The activity there has shown that it can't support its own board and it really doesnt belong in the SC boards unless we just pulled out the SC stuff.

~LoA

Visions of Khas
06-04-2010, 12:05 PM
I agree. I'd still like the art populace to have some sort of gathering place. The only other suggestion I have would be to give the Groups more options, and I'm sure that's something a lot of people would agree with. They're more geared towards special interests like that anyways, which the Art forum is.

LordofAscension
06-04-2010, 02:17 PM
What other options would you like groups to have?

~LoA

GRUNT
06-05-2010, 05:31 AM
Heya! :)

I'm personally not keen on groups :p. A forum is definitely the way to go, but the question is how can we get people to actually visit?

My suggestion would be to go back to the old ways! Let artists create their own threads in SC2 Discussion, where it'll get the exposure it needs to keep artists happy and healthy! If they want to post non-SC artwork, they can create a separate thread in the Off-Topic Lounge :).

If that is out of the question, then do consider making the art forum a forum in its own right, and not a sub-forum. I know that the activity there will be small compared to the other forums, but I'm sure that more people would visit, if it stood out a little more :). In any case, it'll at least feel like a healthier environment to be in. And just call it "Artwork Corner" or something like that :p. None of the other forum names require deciphering like 'The Holo Deck' does :p.

Sarov
06-05-2010, 01:35 PM
The problem with groups is that no one really wants to visit them. I've been in a lot of different groups and people rarely posted in any of them. Or, for some, there was a short period of activity and then it just died out.

Norfindel
06-05-2010, 08:37 PM
What if you put it as a forum in General Forums, instead of a subforum of Off-topic? General forum is general :p, not SC related.

LordofAscension
06-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Because there obviously isn't enough traffic to warrant that :/

~LoA

Sarov
06-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Well, I doubt there will ever be enough traffic considering that no one really visits the Off Topic forums. >.<

Norfindel
06-05-2010, 09:12 PM

~LoA
It's just a text line on a screen. What's the problem if that forum has low traffic? BW forum has only 65 messages, and there isn't a huge list of forums, anyways.

GRUNT
06-05-2010, 09:46 PM

~LoA

I know it'll be small, but like I said, it'll be a healthier place to be for the people who post there! :)

Pandonetho
06-06-2010, 10:06 PM
I agree about it feeling more healthy. It's like giving the small group of artists their own lounge to discuss and show their work, instead of sitting in the back of a dumpster truck.

And yeah, as Norf pointed out, it's just another text line. I'm sure no harm will come out of trying it. You guys have been content on trying multiple SC2 forums, and a news forum too, and scrapped them as well (although I really liked the news forum).

TheRabidDeer
06-07-2010, 04:45 AM
What is the point of adding a "General Forum" when there is already an off-topic forum? The off-topic forum is essentially a general forum. Adding more unnecessary sections just thins things out.

Norfindel
06-07-2010, 08:24 AM
What is the point of adding a "General Forum" when there is already an off-topic forum? The off-topic forum is essentially a general forum. Adding more unnecessary sections just thins things out.
You can have categories in off-topic. Why would you want to throw everything inside the same forum? It would be chaos.
Off-topic is generally to put random chat that doesn't has anything to do with any specific forum. If you have an art forum, you put art there, even if it's general. In fact, having a sub-forum inside off-topic doesn't makes any sense, because off-topic is by definition, everything that doesn't have a specific forum to be talked about.

TheRabidDeer
06-07-2010, 05:36 PM
You can have categories in off-topic. Why would you want to throw everything inside the same forum? It would be chaos.
Off-topic is generally to put random chat that doesn't has anything to do with any specific forum. If you have an art forum, you put art there, even if it's general. In fact, having a sub-forum inside off-topic doesn't makes any sense, because off-topic is by definition, everything that doesn't have a specific forum to be talked about.

I am just stating how it currently is. Right now the off-topic forum serves as the general forum. They could simply rename it from off-topic to general forum and it would still be the same place. This made me wonder why people want to make a general forum, or even more forums when that area doesnt receive much attention as is?

I mean... can you imagine how empty it would seem if there was a general forum, off topic, debate, other games, tech, art, etc forum? Those are all viable forums that could be added, it just doesnt make sense to add them since its not like the off topic forum is overflowing with threads such that it would require that level of organization.

Visions of Khas
06-07-2010, 08:13 PM
I agree with Rabid. For a forum like BlizzForums those might be more appropriate, but for us, I don't think it's as viable at this point.

Sarov
06-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Eh, never mind.

Norfindel
06-08-2010, 06:25 PM
I am just stating how it currently is. Right now the off-topic forum serves as the general forum. They could simply rename it from off-topic to general forum and it would still be the same place. This made me wonder why people want to make a general forum, or even more forums when that area doesnt receive much attention as is?

I mean... can you imagine how empty it would seem if there was a general forum, off topic, debate, other games, tech, art, etc forum? Those are all viable forums that could be added, it just doesnt make sense to add them since its not like the off topic forum is overflowing with threads such that it would require that level of organization.
I'm not really sure what you're seeing, but if you go at this page (http://sclegacy.com/forums/), you will notice that there is a "General Forums" section with the forums "Off-Topic Lounge" and "Issues / Feedback", and that "Off-Topic Lounge" has a sub-forum called "The Holo Deck". But off-topic forums are commonly used to put everything that doesn't already have an specific forum, so a forum cannot really be inside off-topic.

I'm not asking for a gazillion forums inside "General", but adding one specifically for art wouldn't hurt, i think. Besides that, it's scientifically proved that sub-forums get less traffic.

And, the forum can always return to off-topic again, if it finished dying. I think anyone would say it was healthier when it was only the thread inside SC2 forums.