PDA

View Full Version : Thread Improvment

SpiderBrigade
06-08-2009, 01:43 PM
I saw some comments on it elsewhere but I wanted to take the time to devote a new thread to the revamp of the thread graphics/layout. AJ you did this? It looks awesome!

On a related note, all of us with small avvies should take the time to embiggen them...otherwise it looks funny superimposed over the default SC:L emblem...

LordofAscension
06-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Actually, we had another coder do most of the work on the post-bit. AJ did implement it and he will be tweaking it later but it was a team effort. Soon, we'll reveal who did it - as they are likely to be joining the SC:L team for work on exciting new projects.

Very glad you guys like it :D

~LoA

DemolitionSquid
06-08-2009, 02:11 PM
I'd like to point out the glitch for users with long names like mine where the split between the member info and their post gets distorted.

<<<

SpiderBrigade
06-08-2009, 03:11 PM
DSquid your post looks just like mine or LoAs to me, what's the glitch?

RainbowToeSocks
06-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Spider, Look at the last letter of his name. It hits the line while with your name there is no line as you haven't hit the end of the 'name area'

But an awesome improvement
and with the added space.... Personal Titles?

EDIT: also with my name it goes over the line

Blazur
06-08-2009, 03:29 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/16ih3bl.jpg

WebDeveloper extension for FF is win.

Tables malfunctions aside, the new layout is an excellent improvement.

Perfecttear
06-08-2009, 03:32 PM
I really like the new design, but the space under the avatar feels so empty, maybe we could have pets there :P ?

DemolitionSquid
06-08-2009, 03:33 PM
I really like the new design, but the space under the avatar feels so empty, maybe we could have pets there :P ?

I think a more pressing matter is forcing signatures to the very bottom of posts regardless of post size.

LordofAscension
06-08-2009, 04:04 PM

We're concocting some interesting things to put there.

Any suggestions?

~LoA

Perfecttear
06-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Like i said pets, or if that is to much work, just show the favorite race of the poster :)

ChaosSmurf
06-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Like i said pets, or if that is to much work, just show the favorite race of the poster :)

Race/Unit/Hero maybe?

Gradius
06-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Do you guys want post count displayed? Or a ranking system & get rid of post count all together?

RainbowToeSocks
06-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Do you guys want post count displayed? Or a ranking system & get rid of post count all together?

How would the ranking system work?

Perfecttear
06-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Don't show post count, or people will just spam so they have more posts. I like ChaosSmurf suggestions.

RainbowToeSocks
06-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Don't show post count, or people will just spam so they have more posts. I like ChaosSmurf suggestions.

I can't really think of any good examples were people posted just to get their post count up... People here are generally good about that stuff

Blazur
06-08-2009, 04:33 PM
- An icon representing race preference (pulling from control panel)
- A unit icon from our favorite unit of each race (pulling from control panel, and available from a pool of all units)
- Custom title or quote.
- Ultimately a link to our b.net 2.0 user profile.

Post count is of little value.

ChaosSmurf
06-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Post Count + Rank I like, but only with rank. We'd have to come up with some actually good ones too. We could just steal the ones from StarCraft and base them off the favourite race - so T goes from Private to Mengsk (Raynor?), Protoss would take some research into the names of the different ranks but I guess it'd end up with Zeratul, Zerg from Larvae to Overmind/Kerrigan. Heck, you could get to a certain number of posts and you get to chose which way you go - Kerrigan or Overmind, Mengsk or Raynor (or Dugalle, I guess), Zeratul or Tassadar or Aldaris.

Course, I have no idea if that's possible >.>

RainbowToeSocks
06-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Course, I have no idea if that's possible >.>

I don't see how it couldn't be possible
just like

If postcount >= 500 and userfav = zerg then title = hydralisk

I know thats not the right language to use but WHAT EVER Im done my web design course and I never want to do it ever again =)

Easy stuff

AJ
06-08-2009, 06:45 PM
You're welcome.
I won't take all the credit, most of the legwork (as LoA mentioned) was done by another coder, so thank you to him. My life is rather hectic these days, so while I want the best for SCL, I can't dedicate the time it takes to do larger projects 100% of the time, so it always helps to have someone else who's willing and able to step up.

I know larger usernames are distorting the appearance a bit, it's an easy fix - I'll get to it tonight/tomorrow. It's not a deal-breaker though so don't fret too much over it. :)

Praetor_Ixab
06-08-2009, 08:15 PM
well whoever did it or took part in its creation did a great job. looks real slick guys! very professional but fun at the same time. easier to distinguish as well. remember that stupid grey/white/silver text dispute? gawd, we were so lame!

... what was the final decision in that anyways?

Gritten
06-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Orange :D

Praetor_Ixab
06-08-2009, 08:40 PM
dunn oif anyone else suggested this, but how about the ability to change the color of your name?

LordofAscension
06-08-2009, 09:11 PM
dunn oif anyone else suggested this, but how about the ability to change the color of your name?

Probably not going to happen; that's how we denote usergroups.

~LoA

n00bonicPlague
06-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Lookin' sexy! GJ nameless coder ;)

And I need to get a bigger avatar, lolz :D

KDraconis
06-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Lookin' sexy! GJ nameless coder ;)

And I need to get a bigger avatar, lolz :D

Re-uploading your avatar should stretch it to a bigger size...
At least, it did that for me.

I'm in support of the favorite race/unit/hero idea.

Perfecttear
06-09-2009, 04:40 AM
Would it be possible to have custom themes(colors), that you set in your user profile, like for example youtube profiles themes?

GRUNT
06-09-2009, 09:16 AM
LoA - why not stick with Lord of Ascension? :P Newcomers might think you mean this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loa) :p.

Also, because of the colour of your name, I keep thinking it's a link I've clicked on :o.

New forums are pretty! :)

LordofAscension
06-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Would it be possible to have custom themes(colors), that you set in your user profile, like for example youtube profiles themes?

We've considered adding additional themes and they are on the drawing board but we have several other projects in development so I wouldn't hold your breath.

LoA - why not stick with Lord of Ascension? :P Newcomers might think you mean this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loa) :p.

lol - actually its because I forgot that vb doesn't let you use a login name and a display name - so I will probably change it back soon. Thanks :p

Also, because of the colour of your name, I keep thinking it's a link I've clicked on :o.

If anyone say last night we played around with a ton of different colors - this is our favorite so far.

New forums are pretty! :)

Glad you like :) more things are coming!

~LoA

sandwich_bird
06-09-2009, 05:54 PM
are you gonna change the rest as well to match the new deisgn? Like the place where you write your posts and etc?

Gradius
06-09-2009, 06:06 PM
are you gonna change the rest as well to match the new deisgn? Like the place where you write your posts and etc?
Depends. Anything that looks out of place to you?

Perfecttear
06-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Make the box where you write the post, the same width a the thread , it is really annoying when for example your post is long 4 lines in the box, but only 2 in the thread, it's hard to make your post esthetical. If i don't press preview post, i don't have any clue how my post will look alike, and where the breaks will be. Currently it is like this: write post, preview post, repair post, post post.

Edit: now even the preview post doesn't show correct, since we have avatars to the left.

Gritten
06-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Honestly, you'd only be able to gauge what the post looks like to an extent. The postbit is a variable width. As many people use different resolutions, swap between full screen and windowed mode, your post will generally look slightly different to everyone anyways. The only thing you can really control, is where the line breaks are - which would generally be between topic or idea paragraphs. If you *try* and format the post for you side nicely, it may only fill up half the screen for someone else. To test this, swap between an 1024 x 768 resolution and look through some posts, then switch to something like 1900 x 1200 (if you can).

Very very different :D Large / widescreen users should be used to forum posts that are only a few lines long, unless someone's writing a novel of a post.

Gritten

DemolitionSquid
06-09-2009, 08:05 PM
I still think signatures need to be forced down on short posts. Its distracting.

AJ
06-09-2009, 08:10 PM
We'll get there. You realize enjoying new things is half the fun of new things, right?
Don't miss out.

DemolitionSquid
06-09-2009, 08:31 PM
We'll get there. You realize enjoying new things is half the fun of new things, right?
Don't miss out.

Sry, I thought this was a republican (ie. fascist) website. Change bad.

sandwich_bird
06-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Depends. Anything that looks out of place to you?Well both designs kinda match together but it's not a perfect harmony. I can live with the interface being the way it is now but it would be better if both designs were the same.

LordofAscension
06-11-2009, 12:49 AM
What two designs are you talking about?

~LoA

sandwich_bird
06-11-2009, 12:46 PM
What two designs are you talking about?

~LoA The new designs for the posts mixed with the old design all around (like where you write your posts and etc). Is it clearer? It's kinda hard to explain...

SpiderBrigade
06-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Sandwich-bird, you mean the main forum overview page where you see the list of posts? I don't see what you think is out of place. Basically all there is there is names of threads which are in the same blue/blue color scheme as the rest of the site.

Gritten
06-11-2009, 02:01 PM
I think he's talking about the grey'ish thread section and tool bar area's with the blue postbit embedded in amongst all that.

Personally, I like the contrast, however I can understand how others may see it as a little mismatched.

Gritten

LordofAscension
06-11-2009, 03:55 PM
I think he's talking about the grey'ish thread section and tool bar area's with the blue postbit embedded in amongst all that.

Personally, I like the contrast, however I can understand how others may see it as a little mismatched.

Gritten

I too think it works well.

~LoA

sandwich_bird
06-11-2009, 04:25 PM

GrittenYeah that's what I mean thx. I mean it's fine the way it is now but if everything had the same style it would be better imo. I might try photoshoping it later to see how it would look like.

Gradius
06-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Yeah that's what I mean thx. I mean it's fine the way it is now but if everything had the same style it would be better imo. I might try photoshoping it later to see how it would look like.
Probably something like this (http://sclegacy.com/_staff/gradius/forumindextest.jpg), which doesn't look great but maybe someone can come up with something better. :<

SpiderBrigade
06-11-2009, 04:53 PM
That looks pretty good Gradius but I don't think its needed. The update to the actual thread interface was for real usability issues (posts taking up too much space, text centered, lack of clear division between posts etc). The forum overview works fine right now. I mean, if the mysterious human responsible for the new thread interface wants to spend time working on that it would be cool te get everything unified, but IMO that should be low priority if you have other projects going on.

LordofAscension
06-11-2009, 05:48 PM
but IMO that should be low priority if you have other projects going on.

We have many.

:D

~LoA

AJ
06-11-2009, 07:46 PM
no WAI.

Gritten
06-11-2009, 09:58 PM
no WAI.

LOL - That's the sound of someone with too many projects on their lap :P

sandwich_bird
06-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Probably something like this (http://sclegacy.com/_staff/gradius/forumindextest.jpg), which doesn't look great but maybe someone can come up with something better. :< Hey that's actually good imo.

Dauntless
06-20-2009, 10:00 PM
LOL - That's the sound of someone with too many projects on their lap :P

My thought exactly =p Laughed out loud when I read it.

Don't worry AJ, you're not being forced to do anything (afaik) :)

Though I still have to say, I like what I see in Grads image..

Perfecttear
06-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Loa you promised us a community latest box in the forums, so where is it, it has been almost a month and nothing.

LordofAscension
06-26-2009, 10:07 PM
It's on the list :/ Our coders are still super busy with super secret projects - we'll get to it.

~LoA

Gritten
06-26-2009, 11:00 PM
lol I like that 'super secret projects'. It's true. And they're keeping me up really late every night!

But I like it ;)

n00bonicPlague
06-27-2009, 07:19 PM
I think the one thing I like the best about this site is that it's very clean.

Most other fan sites are too busy -- too much stuff filling every single inch of space.

Hammy
07-04-2009, 02:20 PM
I thought I'd add something I haven't seen in this thread to the list:
-I hate having to go through pages of posts, and I don't mind having 1000 posts on the same page and just scrolling (or using a search function) or whatever. So is there any way you could add a "show all pages" next to the page selection panel?

Also, this has been asked a few times before, and I'm sure you're working on it already, but I thought I'd just pitch in an extra vote: I think it's great to know what country each person is posting from, so having that show up somewhere on each one of their posts would be pretty neat.

LordofAscension
07-04-2009, 03:33 PM
I thought I'd add something I haven't seen in this thread to the list:
-I hate having to go through pages of posts, and I don't mind having 1000 posts on the same page and just scrolling (or using a search function) or whatever. So is there any way you could add a "show all pages" next to the page selection panel?

Also, this has been asked a few times before, and I'm sure you're working on it already, but I thought I'd just pitch in an extra vote: I think it's great to know what country each person is posting from, so having that show up somewhere on each one of their posts would be pretty neat.

1) You can up the # of posts shown per page in the UserCP - are you saying that still isn't enough?

2) It's on the list of things to-do.

~LoA

Hammy
07-05-2009, 07:00 AM
Yeah I had seen that. Well I think pages are great when you keep on going back to the threads, and you just click "last page" to see what's new. But when you stumble across a thread that's already a few pages long, having a "show all posts" is also pretty good.
This is all very subjective of course, but I think that both options serve different purposes.

AJ
07-06-2009, 11:09 AM
It's about server load management.
Having users load "all posts" is much harder on a server than the current options in the User CP.

That's why you don't see an option like that.

Perfecttear
07-10-2009, 07:01 AM
I would like to have just 2 thing, the first the latest community or latest posts box, i don't think it's asking to much to implement this:P
here is an example from another site:http://www.sc2armory.com/forums

And here is my poor excuse for an example:
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4117/case333.jpg

And when you do this, don't forget to put it into the forums!, or else there is no sense of having one.

And the second one:
http://sclegacy.com/_staff/gradius/pets/petstest.jpg
http://sclegacy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12752&postcount=25

I know you are doing all of those top secret project and advanced stuff, but sometimes it would be good to add some simple features that would really help, or features that would make the site more atractive;)
I currently only use about 30% off all the features you have.

Gritten
07-11-2009, 02:03 AM
I still think signatures need to be forced down on short posts. Its distracting.

Fixed just for you DS ;)

LordofAscension
07-11-2009, 01:42 PM
We now have flags - if you don't have your country of origin selected please do so in your usercp!

:)

~LoA

Gritten
07-11-2009, 01:51 PM
We now have flags - if you don't have your country of origin selected please do so in your usercp!

:)

~LoA

OH! I was just gonna post the news :P

Dauntless
07-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Oh, and the nick length issue have been resolved. And a new (or smaller?) font:) Me likes!

Hammy
07-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Bleagh, the french flag doesn't look good with this background : )
Looks better this way :p

LordofAscension
07-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Field settings updated to include The Dark Templar Saga: Twilight and Frontline: Volume 3

Cheers,

~LoA

Wankey
07-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Nice flags