PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Reading?

Visions of Khas
09-02-2009, 10:29 AM
So I'm a book nerd. Read all the time. Can't stop. Bad habit, I know. Mostly fiction - sci-fi - but I have a thing for murder-mysteries and thrillers. And horror, can't forget that.

I'm going on a Neil Gaiman kick. Read American Gods and Neverwhere. The former is slower than Jane Eyre yet still exciting. Neverwhere is a quirky modern-day Alice in Wonderland (Marquis de Carabas = complete badass and magnificent bastard). Also read The Sandman series.

Currently reading Gaiman's Anansi Boys, Nothing Human by Nancy Kress, and James Rollins' The Last Oracle. Also working my way through some Heinlein and Asimov.

Sooo... how 'bout you?

Hammy
09-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Hmmm... I read totally different stuff and don't like novels much tbh. To give you a quick idea of the sort of books I read, here is what I can find right without even getting up:
The Art of War (Sun Tzu)
Einstein's Unfinished Symphony (Marcia Bartusiak)
The Black Swan (Nassim Nicholas Taleb)

All absolutely awesome imo ;)

Visions of Khas
09-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Einstein's Unfinished Symphony? Any relation to the BBC special by the same name?

Pandonetho
09-02-2009, 07:49 PM
The former is slower than Jane Eyre yet still exciting.

My mind just exploded. I had to read this for my grade 12 IB english class.

It was such a boring book, (well I actually didn't read it lol because I stopped at like page 10) but yeah. Anyway, glad I managed to BS my way through any essays regarding that book through knowledge from class discussions.

Other books that I was supposed to read but didn't included The Wars, Wide Sargasso Sea, The Great Gatsby, oh and The Outsider which I actually did read. It's the only book I liked.

Xyvik
09-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Just finished up Outbound Flight by my absolute favorite Sci-fi author Timothy Zahn, and now re-reading one of his earlier works, the Cobra Trilogy. All great reads. After that I'm not sure.

sandwich_bird
09-03-2009, 01:36 PM
I read a lot of books but stuff like Introduction to human disease, Human physiology and anatomy, Microbiology, quantum chemistry and crap like this. So yeah dozens of university book and so when it comes to actually reading something I'm not supposed to read, I'd rather just go relax and watch a movie. I did start reading that book called Death from the sky though.

Visions of Khas
09-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Just picked up Michio Kaku's Physics of the Impossible.

Michio Kaku and Brian Greene are complete badasses.

Islandsnake
09-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Currently reading:

Clan Novel: Tzimisce by Eric Griffin ( Vampire The Masquerrade Series)

Its a pretty good series so far, really enjoying it...

Alzarath
09-04-2009, 07:40 PM
StarCraft: Queen of Blades.

Gradius
09-04-2009, 09:01 PM
The Varieties of Scientific Experience: A Personal View of the Search for God by Carl Sagan.

Nothing I wasn't already familiar with - but an interesting read nonetheless. My favorite novels are the Wheel of Time & a Song of Ice & Fire series.

Hammy - the Art of War book sounds awesome. I'll be getting it. ;)

Kacaier
09-04-2009, 09:07 PM
I picked up Ender's Game on Thursday. It's as good as people hype it up to be, and I'm almost through with it. Though, it's not a very long book, I'm only been reading it at night.

Before that, I had just finished For Us, The Living: A Comedy of Customs by Robert A. Heinlein. That shed light into probably one of Heinlein's earliest, yet most defined philosophies.

Visions of Khas
10-02-2009, 09:11 PM
I apologize for the thread necromancy. I had hoped this thread would get more attention, mostly because I like to know what other people are reading. If the powers that be see fit to strike this thread down, then so be it. That said...

I'm reading William Gibson's Neuromancer for my class Literature and Technology. It is REALLY trippy, but not as much of a mindscrew as Ubik, where each moment forces you to question whether events -- characters, locations, things -- are as they appear.

I'm also an avid comid book reader, though lacking the money to buy them I stand around Borders and read them at the stands. I'm following Star Wars: The Dark Times, illustrated by artist Douglas Wheatley who is an absolute god. His style is photorealistic but contain enough character and nuance to keep the characters from being too realistic. The majority of the series done by Doug has been absolutely superb. Fairly often I'll find myself examining the ground or side of a building because of the beautiful texture work. The last issue or two, however, are noticeably less polished. Considering the majority of the issues have been late because of the time Doug puts into it, I'm thinking the producers said, "Shape up or ship out." The only reason they havent fired him yet is because of the love and adoration he's received from the fanbase.

I'm also reading Fell, a cheap comic which condensed story and plot, illustrated by Ben Templesmith, artist behind Thirty Days of Night. It follows Snowtown police detective Richard Fell as he is transferred "over the bridge" to the hellish, rundown city of Snowtown, which is a character in itself. Each comic has a self-contained story, no arcs. It's havily stylized but amazing. Check it out!

Oh... and does anyone read Looking for Group? (Go, Cale! =P )

Kacaier
10-02-2009, 09:35 PM
I assumed I ruined the thread with what people assumed to be poor choice in books. :(

Anyhow, I've resolved to read a lot more science fiction lately. Right now I'm in the midst of H.G. Well's Time Machine and War of the Worlds (combo book). The Dune series also seems very attractable right now on my end. However, my university library has the first book on the overdue Hell, which I suspect no one will ever see again. They also don't have the last book of the Herbert series, which makes me somewhat reluctant there as well.

Hopefully my selection will not kill the thread again.

Visions of Khas
10-02-2009, 09:40 PM
If anyone considers Ender's Game and Heinlein to be thread killers, they should be shot, dropped from a plane, their gooey mess burned and buried, and the earth salted.

Repeatedly.

I read Ender and liked it. I've not had the time to read any of the other novels in the series, though I hear Ender's Shadow was good. I glanced at Xenocide, too, but for some reason couldn't get into it.

Some friends of mine bought me Dune. I should get back to reading it. Reading everyone's thoughts is a bit disorienting and off-putting for me, though...

Pandonetho
10-02-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm reading a Sociology textbook for my midterm this Monday.

Visions of Khas
10-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Anyone read Dan Brown's Lost Symbol? I heard it was a glorified train wreck of stupid fun.

Islandsnake
10-06-2009, 01:29 PM
I just picked up Physics of the Impossible, going to give it a whirl since i <3 Michio

Gradius
10-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Everybody knows that books are extremely educational because they are boring and take hours to convey what a television could with a single image. :)

I just picked up Physics of the Impossible, going to give it a whirl since i <3 Michio
I just got done with Parallel Worlds. Mind boggling. :3

RainbowToeSocks
10-06-2009, 05:50 PM
I was just reading Helter Skelter which i havnt read in a looong time

Zabimaru
10-07-2009, 01:51 AM
I’ve just been reading music. :p I need to start reading again- just been so busy with gigging. I'll post again when I start reading again. :)

GentleBen
10-07-2009, 03:05 AM
I've been reading George R.R. Martin's series A Song of Ice and Fire. Man is it good. It's a light fantasy series. I'm on book 3 - A Storm of Swords.http://www.geekshow.us/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/asoiaf.jpg

Zabimaru
10-07-2009, 04:22 AM
I've been reading George R.R. Martin's series A Song of Ice and Fire. Man is it good. It's a light fantasy series. I'm on book 3 - A Storm of Swords

I LOVE GEORGE MARTIN'S A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE!!! :D

But he really needs to stop eating every type of pie and get on with the next book. :p

Gradius
10-07-2009, 07:44 AM
omg, I also love ASOIAF! :3

It's the most realistic thing I've ever read. One of my favorite series, up there with Wheel of Time. Shame Robert Jordan passed away. I agree w/ Zabimaru & hope Martin finishes the series before he dies too. :<

Pandonetho
10-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Woah, this is weird. I saw that book The Game of Thrones at costco and thought it looked interesting so I bought it... but it's been sitting on my bookshelf for months now and I haven't even read the first line of the book. Maybe I should start.

Blazur
10-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Currently reading The One Minute Millionaire", The Enlightened Way to Wealth by Mark Hansen & Robert Allen at a rate of a few pages a day, since I'm more interested in gaming and working on my computer.

Zabimaru
10-07-2009, 11:24 AM
maybe i should start.

rrreeeeeaaaaaaaadddd iiiitttt!!!! :d

Visions of Khas
10-07-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm an avid reader of "Looking for Group", and the author is always talking about Wheel of Time. Maaaybe I should look into it. And George Martin.

In the interim, might I suggest Neuromancer? Very good read. :3

Xyvik
10-07-2009, 12:56 PM
I hate that man. He stole my book title. In 1995, when I was 9, I started my first novel. It was a semi-fantasy romp and it's title was "Clash of Kings."

Lo and behold, 4 years later a published fantasy book comes out entitled "A Clash of Kings."

Oh well. :p

I'm actually currently reading my own work right now before I move on to reading some more Zahn.

Wingedmidnight88
10-10-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm currently reading 'Who the Man', by Chris Lynch, very good book I got from the library. I also just finished reading 'Starcraft, Queen of Blades' and am thinking about reading 'Starcraft Ghost Nova'.

Eligor
10-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Just finished "The White Goddess" by Robert Graves, much to ponder and ruminate upon, even if I don't exactly agree with everything he proposes (but then, the amount of mythological connexions and parallels he sets up is just staggering, all in all, a book worth reading for anyone interested in arcana, mythology and religion).

On the to read list:

"A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens
"A Knight and Knave of Swords" by Fritz Leiber
"Catriona" by Robert Louis Stevenson
"The Skrayling Tree" and "The White Wolf's Son" by Michael Moorcock (should probably reread Hiawatha before reading the former)

Ghost_828
10-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Currently reading one of Gifted's posts. Once I finish it, I'll move on to Monte Cassino by Sven Hassel.

Alzarath
10-11-2009, 07:55 PM
I've been reading the StarCraft books recently. I have most of 'em. I read StarCraft Ghost: Nova, StarCraft: Queen of Blades, and StarCraft: Frontline 1-3 so far. I have StarCraft Archives and The Dark Templar Saga. I'm currently reading the Dark Templar Saga. I'm on the first book and it's just gotten into the intense parts. I'm wondering how they can spread this awesome of a story (that I read so far) into three books. I guess I'll just have to figure it out. :)

Dauntless
10-12-2009, 06:39 AM
http://bilder.vgb.no/12331/4col/img_4695ff2c1125b.jpg

Anubis, by norwegian writer Bjørn Andreas Bull-Hansen.
2nd book in a trilogy called Lushons Plater (Lushon's Plates in english). It's post-apocalyptic, and the story revolves around a Nighthunter, which is a gene-manipulated wolf-man. Created by the humans to serve them in war. (Sounds familiar? :p)

They're intelligent, and they are the good guys. Muslims have taken over the world, and they are all corrupt and religious extremists. =\

Very dark and melancholic, but I like it.

Sheliek
10-12-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm currently reading the Last Herald Mage trilogy by Mercedes Lackey. I'm enjoying it so far, though I'm only on the fourth chapter of book one.

They're intelligent, and they are the good guys. Muslims have taken over the world, and they are all corrupt and religious extremists. =\

Very dark and melancholic, but I like it.

HV would love this, I think. Or be scared shitless, either way.

Sarov
10-13-2009, 12:57 PM
I've been ocassionally re-reading a few pages from Twilight. Twilight as the Dark Templar Saga not that horrible book about sparkling vampires.

I've been trying to read other books but I find myself too bored. I'll read a page or two and become bored of it. I hope this problem will go away because normally I really enjoy reading.

screw_ball69
10-13-2009, 01:07 PM
I've been reading Disc world...lots and lots of Disc world, I am reaching a Terry Pratchet overload almost.

Zabimaru
10-13-2009, 02:13 PM
I've been reading Disc world...lots and lots of Disc world, I am reaching a Terry Pratchet overload almost.

I love Terry. Great sense of humour and irony. I have almost all of his books on my shelf- including the Discworld map. :P I really need to get his latest few books...

screw_ball69
10-13-2009, 02:45 PM
I love Terry. Great sense of humour and irony. I have almost all of his books on my shelf- including the Discworld map. :P I really need to get his latest few books...

I can has Discworld map?

sandwich_bird
10-13-2009, 04:39 PM
I've been ocassionally re-reading a few pages from Twilight. Twilight as the Dark Templar Saga not that horrible book about sparkling vampires.

You scared me there for a while:p

Sarov
10-13-2009, 04:47 PM
You scared me there for a while:p

I almost scared myself there. Trust me.