PDA

View Full Version : How independent should The Holo Deck area be?

rise
07-11-2011, 07:28 PM
The purpose of this thread is to discuss where The Holo Deck appears in the site. For example, it could continue to be a sub-forum of the Off-topic area. Alternatively, it could become a full forum area that appears below the Off-topic forum. Finally, it could be merged with the Off-topic forum.

I'm under the impression that The Holo Deck has a unique status in this community. IIRC, it was a user-requested feature that we implemented. Consequently, I'm treating it separately from any other discussion of forums or sub-forums.

Here are some questions to help guide the discussion:

What are the benefits of The Holo Deck being a unique area?
Can the utility of The Holo Deck be recreated through the Off-topic forum?
Does the level of activity and potential of the sub-forum allow it to become a full-fledged forum?

Please feel free to share any thoughts you have about this feature. I have no contact with it, so I'm interested in hearing about other user's connection to it.

The_Blade
07-12-2011, 09:41 PM
I believe it should be linked on the overhead menu of the site, on the "Art" word.

What are the benefits of The Holo Deck being a unique area?
A. The Holo Deck is or should be an area where artists share their own art and create blog like thread to showcase their art.

Can the utility of The Holo Deck be recreated through the Off-topic forum?
A. Yes, but not on its full capacity. Threads like the "Artwork Thread" will survive, but personal threads might dicipate.

Does the level of activity and potential of the sub-forum allow it to become a full-fledged forum?
A. No, but creating a full-fledged forum out of The Holo Deck might attract the needed artists for its proper developement.

rise
07-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Re: the navigation menu

If we improve the main site, the navigation menu is the first area that would be changed, so it is unreliable to reference it in this discussion. The "Forums" entry would either link to the index (unchanged) or provide drop-down functionality. "Art" would likely be merged into a match-all "Media" area; The Holo Deck could be linked. However, my point is that it is difficult to plan around what will change.

Re: THD becoming a forum

I would be comfortable with The Holo Deck being a forum, as opposed to a sub-forum, but it would appear last in the index. Are sub-forums less visible, are users unwilling to look toward the bottom of the index, or are users uninterested in the content?

Thanks for the reply, The_Blade!

Zeraszana
07-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Re: THD becoming a forum

I would be comfortable with The Holo Deck being a forum, as opposed to a sub-forum, but it would appear last in the index. Are sub-forums less visible, are users unwilling to look toward the bottom of the index, or are users uninterested in the content?

Thanks for the reply, The_Blade!

from my prospective, its too pain in the ass to get to that sub-forum (yeah i'm lazy as hell, but it is kinda in the middle of nowhere now), it got nothing to do with the content being uninteresting. :D hope i helped a bit, dunno how others feel about it

rise
07-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks for your reply, Zeraszana. People "not bothering" to view a forum is, unfortunately, a great reason to move stuff around. Obviously, I expect users to know how to scroll, but how much they want to scroll is completely relevant!

Zeraszana
07-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks for your reply, Zeraszana. People "not bothering" to view a forum is, unfortunately, a great reason to move stuff around. Obviously, I expect users to know how to scroll, but how much they want to scroll is completely relevant!

well, it isn't that much of a problem to scroll on this site (actually not at all, its minimal effort since its so ''small'') but the problem i have with the sub-forum is that i have to pass through other forums to get there, and with the damned leeches on my net (yeah, need to use wireless so mom can use her laptop :rolleyes: and some neighbor always gets in) it can take ages for all of it to load and i'm just not willing to wait that much, no matter how obsessed with art i am :(

rise
07-13-2011, 04:41 PM
The sub-forum is accessible from the index, so you could access it in the same amount of time as any other area. However, there is no indication of new posts, and that is concerning. I feel that if THD remains, it should be a forum as opposed to a sub-forum. I think that the bottom of the index is a pretty non-competitive place, so there is more than enough room to welcome it into the line-up.

Zeraszana
07-13-2011, 07:16 PM
However, there is no indication of new posts, and that is concerning.

exactly, i forgot to write it, but it is the main reason i go to off topic first, then to holo deck :)

rise
07-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Proceeding directly to The Holo Deck requires the same amount of resources as going to Off-Topic to check during a "failed" attempt, and it results in half the resource usage if there happen to be new posts. Perhaps you need to update your habits, especially if you're conscious about your resource usage; I want to improve the user experience of the site, but I don't want to design around bad habits! haha, I kid, but really, click the link to skip the parent forum.

Blazur
07-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Truthfully I've not once visited the Holo Deck. I don't even clearly know what type of topics are destined for it.

Zeraszana
07-14-2011, 06:12 PM
I don't even clearly know what type of topics are destined for it.

artsy? :D

Arkalis
07-15-2011, 01:11 AM
Truthfully I've not once visited the Holo Deck. I don't even clearly know what type of topics are destined for it.

Yeah...the title is somewhat anti-intuitive

rise
07-20-2011, 04:47 PM
The benefit of THD appearing in the index is that you can provide a description for it, which is a default option in vBulletin iirc.