PDA

View Full Version : Bump posts viewed per thread

Maul
08-17-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm generally used to viewing 100 posts per thread on most other VB forums and I would really like to see it implemented here also as I find myself having to go to page 2 quite frequently with the max setting being 40, however the majority of threads don't typically exceed 100 posts.

So please increase this for our viewing pleasure!

Hammy
08-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Yup agreed.
I think a "show all pages" functionality should be added too actually. When I want to read a whole thread it kinda sucks to have to go from page to page, but when I just want to look at the last couple of posts in a thread that I've already posted in, it's easier to just read the last page...

n00bonicPlague
08-17-2009, 04:37 PM
There needs to be some sort of limit. While a view all would be nice, it would have the servers for lunch, especially with threads like that macro one that's over 700 replies long. I would do an absolute max at 60. That would be able to let you view most threads just fine.

AJ
08-17-2009, 05:51 PM
100 posts per thread is extremely taxing on a server.
While we would all love to have the pageload remain as minimal as possible and still over you the flexibility to do so, this isn't something that can be implemented at this time.

We may revisit this and slightly increase the limit, but I doubt you'll see "All" or "100" as an option any time soon.

Maul
08-19-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm not sure about your own server's capabilities, but in theory loading 100 posts at once actually becomes less taxing assuming that users will load the proceeding pages. This is due to the script loading all header and footer elements once (some which are dynamic, ie active user list), as opposed to several times when viewing multiple pages. Again, it really comes down to whether your server can handle the traffic.

AJ
08-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Hi.
I understand how servers work.

But I'm going to just refer you to what I said above, because, that's what's happening.