1. Are any other units aside from the Dark Templar going to have multiple models (ie. male and female Ghosts)?
Currently, we're not considering any other units for multiple models.
2. In the original StarCraft and Brood War, Carriers have been very rarely used for competitive matches due to their ineffectiveness in small numbers because of their critical mass effect. Up until now, what changes or ideas have played with to increase their effectiveness in small numbers with or without other ships for support, and what is the current status on the Carrier? Also, what about the Battlecruiser?
In general, it's still better if you have as many carriers or battlecruisers as possible in the battle. However, small numbers of carriers or battlecruisers will be still very useful for supporting both ground and air units.
3. We were told recently that workers can't patrol. This makes SCV auto-repair a lot less useful. (In Warcraft III, you could set a worker to patrol, and it would auto-repair any damaged buildings or mechanical units nearby. Great for keeping towers (and bunkers!) alive.)
SCVs can patrol, so if you activate auto-casting of the SCV's repair ability, that SCV will repair damaged buildings or units it encounters while on patrol. The SCV will repair nearby units and buildings and continue its designated patrol pattern again after the repairs are complete.
4. What use does the Overlord usually see versus the Nydus Worm? That is, in what capacity is each transport mechanic used?
It all depends on a player's choice in each case. When you want try out a sneaky and clever attack on the enemy's base, the nydus worm can be useful in that role as a more tactical and general choice for harassing the enemy's economy. However, you can also use a mass overlord drop just like the original StarCraft, for an aggressive, all-out attack. However, the overlord drop is riskier, as you're putting much of your supply and the cargo in jeopardy if you encounter strong anti-air defense.
5. Can Thors or Colossi be transported in any way?
Thors and colossi can be transported by each race's transportation units: the medivac and the warp prism.
6. How do you use the Thor's resurrection ability? Does it cost resources to use?
Thor doesn't have the resurrection ability any more in the current build. While the mechanic was a cool idea on paper, it didn't end up being especially practical when we tried it in internal playtesting.
7. How has more efficient AI and pathfinding affected the game? Does it make the game easier?
AI in StarCraft II is much more developed from the original StarCraft. For example, the computer is required to scout to find you now in every difficulty mode. In higher difficulty modes, the AI will adapt to what it sees you are building to counter your selected strategy with key units of their own. This means that the computer no longer cheats as far as "knowing" where you are and what you're doing. It can only react to what it sees when their scouts find your units and bases.
The pathfinding is also much improved in StarCraft II, which will reduce some frustration when directing your units to move long distances around varying terrain. Certain melee units are also smarter about attempting to surround enemies, but we don't believe this makes the game "easier." Players who choose to micro their armies will still have an advantage.
8. I would like to know if the MULE can repair air units and lifted-off buildings, and in turn, could we see MULEs being called down in the front lines to repair Battlecruisers and Thors or in the corner of the map to repair a burning Command Center that was lifted off to escape an attack? Also, at what rate does a MULE repair? Faster or slower than an SCV?
The mule is only for gathering minerals or scouting. You cannot repair units or structures with the mule.
9. Regarding the "Discussion with Artosis and Idra" video - does their prediction that Zerg vs. Zerg is degrading into "Roach spam" have any validity? Will ZvZ matchups frequent a more diverse selection of units beyond Zerglings, Roaches, and Mutalisks?
We would like to see as many units as possible being used in the battle, instead of some selected units like zerglings, roaches, and mutalisks. We are still polishing and balancing units including the roach, and hope to see how the players will make various combinations of units during the beta.
Discuss this article in the forum.