The StarCraft II Game Guide has been updated, adding in lore entries for the Phoenix, the Oracle, the Void Ray, and the Colossus.
Battle.net - Death from Above: Protoss
Thousands of new assets have been made available on the StarCraft II PTR. These new assets are from Warcraft III, but seem to have been updated to match the quality of StarCraft II assets.
Blizzard is also hosting a small contest involving memories of Warcraft III:
What are some of your favorite moments in Warcraft’s history? Whether it’s from the first opening of the dark portal in Warcraft: Orcs and Humans to Grommash leading the Iron Horde in Warlords of Draenor, we want to see it recreated in the StarCraft II editor. We’d love to see anything from screenshots of epic battles, single-player missions recreated from your favorite game, mini-games using the new assets or anything in-between. However you want to celebrate, we want to see it. Send us a link to your creations at
or tweet to us @BlizzardArcade.
Remember, these assets are only available on the PTR (for now). Be sure to log into the map editor on the StarCraft II PTR if you want to check out these updated Warcraft character models.
Battle.net - Warcraft III Assets Now Available on the PTR
Another new Call to Action is here, testing some changes to Zerg.
Balance Test Map Changes
Balance Test Map: “Deadwing LE (2.1.8 Balance v1.0)”
- Swarm Host
- Cost modified from 200 Minerals and 100 Vespene to 100 Minerals and 200 Vespene
- Supply cost increased from 3 to 4
- Movement speed increased from 2.25 to 2.95
- Swarm Hosts now require the Burrow research in order to burrow
- Swarm Hosts no longer collide with Locusts
- Spawn Locusts – This ability has been reworked
- Auto-cast removed, Spawn Locusts must now be manually cast.
- Spawn Locusts cooldown increased from 25 seconds to 60 seconds
- Casting Spawn Locusts no longer requires a Swarm Host to be burrowed
- Weapon speed increased from .8 to .6
- Locust duration increased from 15 seconds (+10 seconds with Enduring Locusts) to 30 seconds
- Infestation Pit
- Enduring Locusts – This upgrade has been removed
- New upgrade: Flying Locusts - Allows Locusts spawned by Swarm Hosts to fly. Flying Locusts can use Swoopto land and attack
- Requires Lair
- Cost is 200 Minerals, 200 Vespene, 160 seconds
- Allows Locusts spawned by Swarm Hosts to fly. Flying Locusts can use Swoop to land and attack
- Swoop: Orders the Locust to land at the targeted location, allowing it to attack
- Point Defense Drone duration decreased from 180 seconds to 20 seconds
There is also a small tutorial on how to load extensions in the full post. To see the reasoning behind the changes, see this post.
Battle.net - Call to Action: January 29 Balance Testing
The StarCraft II Game Guide has been updated, adding in lore entries for the Ultralisk, the Viper, and the Brood Lord.
Battle.net - The Crème de la Zerg
Ryan Schutter, creator of the GameHeart overlay for StarCraft II, has joined Blizzard as a StarCraft II Technical Designer. Through his work with GameHeart he has contributed a great deal to the eSports community, and is warmly welcomed as a part of Blizzard's development team.
We’re extremely happy to have Ryan onboard, and so grateful to be bringing on someone with so much passion for this game and its community. Ryan’s work in those areas is bound to continue. Moving forward, you can expect to find Ryan posting on forums, social media, and continuing his work on GameHeart and other arcade projects.
Battle.net - Ryan Schutter Joins Blizzard Entertainment
There has been an update to the StarCraft II game guide which includes additional information about the Hellbat, the Hellion, the Ghost, the Thor, and the Battlecruiser.
Battle.net - You're Going in with the Big Guns
A new multiplayer development update for Legacy of the Void is out. This one is quite lengthy and covers a lot of proposed changes in detail:
First, we’d like to give an update on the resource changes we showed at Blizzcon. In that build, resources were reduced to 70% of what they currently are in Heart of the Swarm. From our playtesting, we really liked that this set-up encouraged players to move out more and take expansions more aggressively which led to action packed games. One element we were still concerned about was the potential diminished importance of harassment since workers were being transferred much earlier. Since Blizzcon, we’ve looked at changes that keep the positive aspect of encouraging players to take more bases, while still providing incentives to harass bases in various locations. The change we are currently testing is as follows:
- Half of the mineral patches have 1500 (same as HotS), and the other half has 750.
- Gas is at 75% of total.
Worker count change
We’ve heard a lot of thoughts and suggestions on different starting worker counts for Legacy of the Void, so we’ve tested alternate starting counts internally. Currently, we feel 12 is the correct number because that number feels like the point right before decisions start diverging. However, we feel that since this is a simple change from a development standpoint, we could explore alternate worker counts in the beta without any issue. Looking at our data, we believe this is the correct starting worker count, but it’s still something we are willing to test further in beta.
Lurker siege range upgrade no longer has a Hive requirement
The Lurker is still working out well for us, but we felt the siege range upgrade comes in a bit too late. Seige range will still be at a very late Teir 2 tech level because it’s still gated by not only the Lurker Den, but also an upgrade on top of that. This isn’t set in stone, but we currently believe this is a better place for it.
Additional new Protoss unit
We haven’t finalized design on a new Protoss unit, but it’s something we’re heavily focused on these days. We have general concepts and ideas we’re trying, but haven’t nailed down something solid yet. Generally speaking, we’re experimenting with allowing Protoss to play a more aggressive containment game in the early game by utilizing a new unit. We feel this will give some more variety to Protoss openings, since Protoss generally tends to play defensively. If you have good ideas or feedback in this area, it would be appreciated.
To see the full post, click here. There are explanations for each race and key development issues for those races.
Battle.net - Legacy of the Void: Multiplayer Development Update: December 17, 2014
It's time for a new Call to Action, asking players to test a change to the Widow Mine splash damage:
- Widow Mine
- Widow mine splash damage decreased from 40 +40 shields to 40 +20 shields.
To see the reasoning behind this page, see this forum post.
Battle.net - Call to Action: December 15 Balance Testing
The StarCraft II Game Guide has been updated, adding in lore entries for the Overseer, the Nydus Worm, the Swarm Host.
Battle.net - More Zerg Science (All Too Easy)
StarCraft II 2.1.7 Patch Notes
- Fixed an issue that could cause the post-game score screen to become stuck while loading.
- The "So many Banelings" achievement can now be completed properly.
- The Confine Mouse Cursor option will now work correctly on Mac clients with Retina display.
- Fixed an issue that could cause errors or delays when loading achievements.
Battle.net - StarCraft II 2.1.7 Patch Notes