Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zerg "macro" idea -- reabsorption

Lightbulb Zerg "macro" idea -- reabsorption

Got this idea from this TL post. Essentially, after researching "Absorb" at a Lair, the Zerg would be able to take any unit sitting on creep (that links with a friendly H/L/H) and "digest" it to get a return of the resources it took to morph that unit -- a return that would be controlled by the unit's HP and a "control percentage". The equation would look something like this:

(resources gained) = (unit cost)*(%HP remaining)*(control percentage)

It would be important to have the %HP factor in there, since getting nearly full resources back for a nearly dead unit would be completely imba. The control percentage would be there to prevent the player from throwing around resources like whatever. I think about 85% would be good.

This would give the Zerg a mechanic that is unique and very, very zergy in nature, and it would work very well with the Queen's larvae mechanic. I would be happy to lose the Terran's salvage in order to let the Zerg have this mechanic.

Default Re: Zerg "macro" idea -- reabsorption

Creep is not player owned.

The other thing is that zerg are kinda all about throwing cannon-fodder at your front lines. Protoss are the preservation race. I do like consume for energy though.
    Last edited by ArcherofAiur; 07-29-2009 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherofAiur View Post
    Creep is not player owned.
    I know, but it should be easy to tell if creep is connected to a Hatchery, Lair, or Hive that belongs to you.

The other thing is that zerg are kinda all about throwing cannon-fodder at your front lines. Protoss are the preservation race.
    But that's a preservation of essence -- not necessarily of all units (look at the Reaver). The Zerg aren't preserving an essence in this process. They are killing the unit for minerals needed elsewhere. They may not be about preservation, but they are about efficiency.

I do like consume for energy though.
    This is pretty much the same idea, but it's for resources instead of energy.

I dunno, one of the things I like about SC is how brutal it is in regard to making mistakes. Built your Supply Depot to the right of your command centre? Better kill it yourself, moron. One pylon powering 12 cannons? Your own fault. Spawned the wrong unit when playing the one race that's absolutely unforgivable with? Deal with it and adapt.

Admittedly, the idea of salvaging bunkers etc. doesn't sound too bad to me, so this idea could grow on me. Perhaps limit what units can do it? Ground only or early tiers only? Or change what it gives back, and make it unit specific? Say a tier 3 zergling ability that ... I dunno, allows creep to harvest or something? A macro ability, in other words.

I think it should be ok. In this case, it's obvious that if you want to absorb the unit to recover resources, the Creep should be connected to your buildings, so in this case the Creep does have an "owner", even if any Zerg can build on it. In fact, for gameplay motives, it would be probably better if the Creep had an owner, so that enemy Zerg cannot build on it, and don't get a speed benefit in your own Creep.

I don't know if the ability is too usefull, however.

We could alter the requirements to fit better if you like. Rather than the unit simply being on the creep, why not say it must be on the creep and within a certain range of one of your Zerg buildings?
    [CENTER]

Or put the ability on the hatchery

OR give the queen consume. Free larva and creep tumors for everyone!

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

lol, so basically a Zerg version of salvage, except for units and doesn't return 100%?

I think it should return 100% resources. Think about it; Zerg units can regenerate their hit points. Eventually, they would recover their full health anyway. By making it 100% return, this speeds up the healing process at the expense of Larvae and momentary vulnerability. In addition, it would be heck of a lot simpler to code/balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandonetho View Post
    lol, so basically a Zerg version of salvage, except for units and doesn't return 100%?
    Yep, except that the limit behind Terran salvage was that it could only be used on certain buildings and no units. This would be used on all units and no buildings. Since that limit has been removed, another has to be added, hence the "taxed" return. I like this more than Terran salvage, and would gladly give Terran salvage up, since it doesn't do much anyway.