Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Valid reasons for lack of info?

Default Valid reasons for lack of info?

I've been wondering if Blizzard has any real reasons for keeping information about the development of SCII so restricted. The secretive aura surrounding all info related with the upcoming beta and evrything keeps all the community itching for news and... nothing comes. I know there have been delays but the continuos silence by Blizzard is making the fan community really itchy (just take a glimpse into the Bnet forums and you'll see what I mean). And the minimal amount of new information appearing from time to time, like the new wraith screenshot, feels to me like we're being thrown a bone.
    So what do you think. Are there valid reasons for Blizzard to guard all the secrets to themselves? or are they doing it just to make us all upset (I dont think so).
    Any opinions..?

Default Re: Valid reasons for lack of info?

It's their primary defense against piracy of ideas and development, also their secondary method of keeping the hype alive through fan speculation.

Being upset, angry, frustrated and tired are some of the side effects of this path, but hey look where's Starcraft 2 going, all the way to the top!

-Psi
    >>You Must Construct Additional Pylons<<

What lack of info? What "secretive aura"? What do you expect Blizzard to do, set a release date for the Beta? That's the only substantive information they could provide that we don't already know.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

"You simply cannot design a mechanic today to mimic the behaviour of a 10-year old mechanic that you removed because nearly nobody would like them today." - Norfindel, on the Macro Mechanics

"We want to focus the player on making interesting choices and not just a bunch of different klicks." - Dustin Browder

StarCraft 2 Beta Blog

We're not hearing very much these days because BlizzCon is around the corner.

We tend to perceive all this like Blizzard is being tight lipped and taking too long with Beta and everything else because we really want to play the game and we want it to come out NOW not sometime next year.

But the truth is that's probably what's going to happen and it's not Blizzard that's being unreasonable.

Honestly, there is nothing Blizzard can do to quell the thirst of the fans. No matter what route they go, whether it's releasing videos, screenshots, etc etc people will want more.

You would think that years ago, when Warcraft 3 was in production, we could have even imagined getting a Battle Report, let alone a few screenshots. I mean to actually see the game in action and having the Developers commentate? That was beyond imagination.

And here now we have 3 Battle Reports showing pretty much the 'latest build', showing off many new features and abilities. And it's all considered old news. Right?

blizzard always goes really quite before something big...

Quote Originally Posted by warrior6 View Post
    This.

At this point, when beta is probably less than a month away, how much more can you really show? I'm becoming less and less thrilled about game updates. I'm just interested in the beta now, and been playing more SC:BW to hold me over.

Quote Originally Posted by warrior6 View Post
    I sure hope so.

It seems like if they made a goal to release a new gameplay video every Monday or something then the community might calm down. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do this. We don't need to have the commentary, the footage is plenty for me.

Given the thirst for new info, I don't think an unnannounced match would be enough.

Blizzard has to spend a lot of time just selecting matches for the Battle Reports, as most aren't the right length or have boring stretches. Without commentary, they'll only be advertising to the hard core minority.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."