View Poll Results: Does fan feedback carry any weight with Blizz writers in relation to HotS?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. They've been treating us like little children all along. All has been decided long ago.

    13 39.39%
  • No, but they may tweak a line of dialogue here and there to pretend they're listening

    9 27.27%
  • They haven't been taking it seriously, but the embarrassing leak changes things.

    5 15.15%
  • Yes. Just because the ending vid is one way, doesn't mean the campaign won't be interesting

    4 12.12%
  • Yes, of course they listen to us! The video is a demo. Why are you even taking it seriously?

    2 6.06%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 80

Thread: Does our feedback matter one bit to Blizz Writers?

  1. #1

    Default Does our feedback matter one bit to Blizz Writers?

    Friends,

    Since the Leak of What appears to be a legitimate pre-visualization of HotS Ending, I have begun to doubt fan efforts to constructively influence the writers to create a better story for HotS.

    This poll asks your opinion on whether my assumption is true.

    ~RS
    - So, Gerard, I suspect you have a good reason for pulling me away from my Duties.
    - Your Vodka can wait, my good Alexi.


    ================================
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8WRZcYVbVg -

    Iron man putting on armor

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAHAUJQ8qGQ -

    Tychus putting on armor
    ================================

    "Also, we've established that the [Wings of Liberty's] storyline was monkey hurlage months ago - so what's the point of all the QQ?," -Gradius

  2. #2
    TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,895

    Default Re: Does our feedback matter one bit to Blizz Writers?

    Can't comment. I refuse to watch the video

    But, what I can answer is this: we won't know until the game comes out.



    Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Does our feedback matter one bit to Blizz Writers?

    The video is clearly a concept pass and has likely changed.

    BUT Blizzard does indeed treat us like children, because they themselves are just children fingerpainting games with nerdgasm juice.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Does our feedback matter one bit to Blizz Writers?

    It's a shame that along with this vid, people didn't also save the pre-viz version of New Getysburg which ended up being almost identical to the finished WOL product...
    - So, Gerard, I suspect you have a good reason for pulling me away from my Duties.
    - Your Vodka can wait, my good Alexi.


    ================================
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8WRZcYVbVg -

    Iron man putting on armor

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAHAUJQ8qGQ -

    Tychus putting on armor
    ================================

    "Also, we've established that the [Wings of Liberty's] storyline was monkey hurlage months ago - so what's the point of all the QQ?," -Gradius

  5. #5

    Default Re: Does our feedback matter one bit to Blizz Writers?

    Quote Originally Posted by RussianSpy27 View Post
    It's a shame that along with this vid, people didn't also save the pre-viz version of New Getysburg which ended up being almost identical to the finished WOL product...
    The New Gettysburg clip was a scene from SC1 though. You know, the fun, well-written game from 1998. All they had to do was give it flair.

    This new video is just that: new.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Does our feedback matter one bit to Blizz Writers?

    My point was that the leaked NG pre-vi video by the same dude made it into the game almost exactly the way it was there, so assuming that the HotS ending would make it to the end is not a stretch, despite it being beta and all.
    - So, Gerard, I suspect you have a good reason for pulling me away from my Duties.
    - Your Vodka can wait, my good Alexi.


    ================================
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8WRZcYVbVg -

    Iron man putting on armor

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAHAUJQ8qGQ -

    Tychus putting on armor
    ================================

    "Also, we've established that the [Wings of Liberty's] storyline was monkey hurlage months ago - so what's the point of all the QQ?," -Gradius

  7. #7

    Default Re: Does our feedback matter one bit to Blizz Writers?

    I'll probably get lynched for this, but I really don't think fans should have much, if any say on a story for anything, unless the nature of said story is by essence based on said choices (e.g. the Warhammer global campaigns, where registered results dictates the story or organized fanfiction).

    It may be because I've written extensively, why I only begin posting a multi-chapter after completely writing it. This way, I feel the story succeeds or fails purely on my own ability, not on me reacting to other people's suggestions (as in content, I'm open to the likes of spelling or grammar). If it succeeds, it's not my accomplishment. If it fails, I'm liable to fall into "it's someone else's fault." You may argue that such feedback can make a story better, but if it's based on external opinion, it will inevitably make it worse for others.

    If there's one thing the Internet has taught me, it's that people can complain about anything. People are certainly entitled to their opinion, but I think that in the realm of fiction and the like, care must be taken. There are cases where not listening to fans have definately paid off, times where listening to them hasn't. Personal experience for me points towards the former having the better results.

    Now if you excuse me, I'll get going. I see a mob coming my way.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Does our feedback matter one bit to Blizz Writers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawki View Post
    I'll probably get lynched for this, but I really don't think fans should have much, if any say on a story for anything, unless the nature of said story is by essence based on said choices (e.g. the Warhammer global campaigns, where registered results dictates the story or organized fanfiction).

    It may be because I've written extensively, why I only begin posting a multi-chapter after completely writing it. This way, I feel the story succeeds or fails purely on my own ability, not on me reacting to other people's suggestions (as in content, I'm open to the likes of spelling or grammar). If it succeeds, it's not my accomplishment. If it fails, I'm liable to fall into "it's someone else's fault." You may argue that such feedback can make a story better, but if it's based on external opinion, it will inevitably make it worse for others.

    If there's one thing the Internet has taught me, it's that people can complain about anything. People are certainly entitled to their opinion, but I think that in the realm of fiction and the like, care must be taken. There are cases where not listening to fans have definately paid off, times where listening to them hasn't. Personal experience for me points towards the former having the better results.

    Now if you excuse me, I'll get going. I see a mob coming my way.
    You can call your shit art, but if the rest of the world thinks its shit, it's shit.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Does our feedback matter one bit to Blizz Writers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawki View Post
    I'll probably get lynched for this, but I really don't think fans should have much, if any say on a story for anything, unless the nature of said story is by essence based on said choices (e.g. the Warhammer global campaigns, where registered results dictates the story or organized fanfiction).

    It may be because I've written extensively, why I only begin posting a multi-chapter after completely writing it. This way, I feel the story succeeds or fails purely on my own ability, not on me reacting to other people's suggestions (as in content, I'm open to the likes of spelling or grammar). If it succeeds, it's not my accomplishment. If it fails, I'm liable to fall into "it's someone else's fault." You may argue that such feedback can make a story better, but if it's based on external opinion, it will inevitably make it worse for others.

    If there's one thing the Internet has taught me, it's that people can complain about anything. People are certainly entitled to their opinion, but I think that in the realm of fiction and the like, care must be taken. There are cases where not listening to fans have definately paid off, times where listening to them hasn't. Personal experience for me points towards the former having the better results.

    Now if you excuse me, I'll get going. I see a mob coming my way.
    +1. It seems Blizzard has the self esteem to make their own decisions.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Does our feedback matter one bit to Blizz Writers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    +1. It seems Blizzard has the self esteem to make their own decisions.
    "Self-esteem?"

    Last edited by DemolitionSquid; 12-08-2010 at 11:46 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Blizz and Gom TV, take 2.
    By flak4321 in forum StarCraft Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-01-2010, 12:16 PM
  2. ATTENTION Writers AND RPers!
    By LyLunah in forum Off-Topic Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-19-2010, 10:09 AM
  3. [Replay/Feedback] 2v2 Noobs need some feedback
    By howligH in forum StarCraft Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 01:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •