Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Favorite/Least favorite units for each race?

Default Re: Favorite/Least favorite units for each race?

Protoss

Fave: The Stalker/Immortal, or the High Templar/Nullifier. The Dragoon variants are both unique and add interesting strategic elements into the game, including great micro opportunities. The spell casters as a bit different. I like them because I honestly believe that together they could drastically affect strategies and really provide difficult choices for the player. This, however, is entirely dependent upon whether or not they choose the right abilities for which unit.

Least Fave: The Phoenix. That hunk of junk has no right replacing the Corsair. It started out as a lame unit that has progressively got worse with the addition of Anti-Gravity (which would never have been taken off the HT). Axe the damn thing and let's move on.

Terran

Fave: Big fan of the Viking. Its a simple mechanic that adds a load of strategy. I feel, however, that this unit will see little use because it doesn't really have a stop in the army anymore. I very much think the Hellion needs to be cut, giving its attack (or a similar type of attack) to the Viking, so that the more interesting unit actually gets used.

Lease Fave: The Hellion, the Nighthawk and the Thor. The Thor has no place, and the Hellion is honestly an uninteresting unit with a somewhat interesting attack mechanic that would be much better suited on another more interesting unit. Plus it looks like a cross between a remote controlled car and those Nod buggies from Tiberium Wars. The Nighthawk is only useful because of its completely broken HSM, which WILL be removed because it is IMBA. Without that its a strange looking plane that looks completely out of place in the Terran army.

Zerg

Fave: The Baneling and the Swarm Guardian (or Brood Lord, whatever, same unit). The Baneling is genuinely fun to use and makes for so many interesting and dramatic situations. The Brood Lord also has one of the more interesting attack mechanics, and really makes for a fun unit to use that is both devastating and balanced. I do, however, think that the whole switch to the Brood Lord was a poor idea, and to be honest, I really cannot imagine why they did it. They took one of the most iconic units, with the most recognizable silhouettes, and replaced it with a stiff looking flying trilobite. And yet the Hellion remains in its current state?? Rubbish!

Least Fave: Overseer. Its a completely useless unit that has no business existing. I mean, they took half of a complete unit's (the Overlord) abilities and spread them across two units, and then they tacked a bunch of useless abilities onto the two to make them seem complete. It was a terrible idea in the first place, and time has really not sweetened it.

-Dread_Reaper
    "And then Sun Tzu used his fight money to buy two of every animal, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one!"

I gotta disagree on one point, DR. I expect the Viking will be seen frequently because its the Terrans best ATA.

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    I gotta disagree on one point, DR. I expect the Viking will be seen frequently because its the Terrans best ATA.
    In theoretical thinking that might work DSquid, but in practical application the beefed up (Combat Shield), spammable (Reactor) Terran Marine with its long range (U-243 shells) are all the Terran will ever need to tackle any kind of airforce. Combine that with the GtA Thor, and the Terrans don't really even NEED AtA. Now yes, the situation will arise when only an aircraft can do, but honestly, most games never even come to that level. I have been to Blizzcon every year, played dozens of hours of StarCraft II, and never once have I seen the Viking seriously used in a match. There is no huge need for it right now, outside of maybe raiding, which the less expensive Reaper takes care of brilliantly. As it stands its ground mode has no purpose. They should just make it an aircraft if they're going to keep it in its current ground role.

-Dread_Reaper
    "And then Sun Tzu used his fight money to buy two of every animal, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one!"

Faves:
    Terran: Marauder. Very useful, especially against larger units. Probably the new Siege Tank. (in terms of gameplay)
    Protoss: The Stalker. The blink ability seems fun. Very useful.
    Zerg: Baneling. That thing look incredibly fun to use and seems very useful.

Least:
    Terran: Thor. It has no real niche and now seems like it could've lost it's AA capability, making it utterly useless, especially because of its huge cost and because it's slow (it's a huge moving target).
    Protoss: Mothership. It has no real niche and no interesting abilities. Its current role as support kinda makes it anti-climactic, as it doesn't feel like a "Mothership", whereas it did originally (WWI 2007), and could've been balanced given enough time and thought, instead of changing the unit completely.
    Zerg: Infestor. Though it looks amazing, the abilities that made it fun to use are gone, so now it feels kind of pointless and boring.

I also dislike how the Colossus seems rather weak...

Kudos to Arkceangel for the Terran avatar and sig!

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    I love how 99% of the people I talk to hate the Thor but Blizzard won't remove the fucking thing because they're so hellbent on Terran having a Mech at the expense of gameplay.
    Bingo.

Protoss:
    Stalker and Nullifier
    Mothership. It was so good the first time around, a heavy-hitting spellcaster. But now it doesn't even have time bomb, the COOLEST spell in the game.

Terran
    Reaper... and Banshee! If only it had it's old cluster munitions back.
    The Highly Overbuilt Rustbucket... Why do the Terrans need to build a Battleship-sized tank for what is essentially a Goliath? And why does it have to spearhead charges against an enemy base, when we have the Banshee?

ZERG!
    Hydralisk and Infestor... now that they look SO MUCH BETTER.
    Changeling?