Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P counters for T's repaired-thor rush

Default P counters for T's repaired-thor rush

I saw this build in a GSL season 2 game and since have used it in TvP about 20 times (in platinum games). It nearly always wins - as far as i can remember its only failed me when I make big micro mistakes.

So here's the build order (my version - not necessarily best):
    Depot
    Rax
    Gas
    Depot
    Factory
    Rax-Reactor
    Orbital Command
    Gas
    Armory
    Fact-Tech Lab
    Thor
    Thor

Make marines and scvs pretty much constantly - you should have about 10-12 when the second thor finishes. At that point put 8 scvs on auto-repair following the "front" thor and charge.

The best counters I've seen are blinking stalkers and DTs. The problem is you can't see it coming (except maybe with a hallucinated pheonix which doesn't seem to happen at this level) until its too late to change to those builds. They only work if the protoss has gone blindly into them from the start.

So, what do people suggest as counters to this build?

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: P counters for T's repaired-thor rush

I've ran into this a few times, and it's beastly. My best counter is just massing zealots and using a stalker control group to snipe SCVs.

Repair has gone very powerful by the small collision boxes and the amount of SCVs that fit around some units.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    I've ran into this a few times, and it's beastly. My best counter is just massing zealots and using a stalker control group to snipe SCVs.
    Won't the SCVs block the Zealots from attacking?

Quote Originally Posted by Norfindel View Post
    Repair has gone very powerful by the small collision boxes and the amount of SCVs that fit around some units.

they will, but at the same time, you focus the scvs down with your zealots..
    well, if you don't a-move...

i think what's important is to delay the thor as long as possible to prevent it from entering the base but kill it off and the scvs before a second pops up...

spychi's Avatar SC:L Addict

pff most easy thing to do 2gate zealot with pylon ramp block in the early game 100% he will change his Thor strat or delay it then you tech to DT's and gg
    it's a 100% fail when people fast tech Thors against me, I had two terran turds doing this what a bunch of fucking noobs
    Last edited by spychi; 11-29-2010 at 05:10 PM.

Mass Effect Universe Fan, I support Mass Effect 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for Game of the year award! ME2 still is being the best rated game this year! Keep it up

I don't get why that would make him change his thor strat - much less delay it. You reckon the zealots alone will defeat it? Or is the ramp block somehow vital?

Thumper's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sidd258 View Post
    I saw this build in a GSL season 2 game and since have used it in TvP about 20 times (in platinum games). It nearly always wins - as far as i can remember its only failed me when I make big micro mistakes.

So here's the build order (my version - not necessarily best):
    Depot
    Rax
    Gas
    Depot
    Factory
    Rax-Reactor
    Orbital Command
    Gas
    Armory
    Fact-Tech Lab
    Thor
    Thor

Make marines and scvs pretty much constantly - you should have about 10-12 when the second thor finishes. At that point put 8 scvs on auto-repair following the "front" thor and charge.

The best counters I've seen are blinking stalkers and DTs. The problem is you can't see it coming (except maybe with a hallucinated pheonix which doesn't seem to happen at this level) until its too late to change to those builds. They only work if the protoss has gone blindly into them from the start.

So, what do people suggest as counters to this build?
    I disagree about not being able to scout it. Did you forget about the observer?

The best counter to this are zealots (possibly with charge) and immortals. You may want a few stalkers as well. Use the zealots to focus down the thor and when they are being blocked by the SCVs, press hold on the zealots and they will attack the SCVs next to them. After you take out the SCVs, you can proceed to killing the thors. Im not sure if there is a better way than this.

Void rays are also good against thors but you must spread them out or magic box them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidd258 View Post
    I don't get why that would make him change his thor strat - much less delay it. You reckon the zealots alone will defeat it? Or is the ramp block somehow vital?
    you are damaging his eco, if he won't have a bunker you should go for his SCVs meanwhile after your second zealot out put down an assimilator and start gathering gas
    the pylon block at ramp will not allow him to make completly wall off the choke, make sure that you place it close enough to block a second supply depot, but with enough space to get your zealots through

Mass Effect Universe Fan, I support Mass Effect 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for Game of the year award! ME2 still is being the best rated game this year! Keep it up

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

The other confirmed counter to this is if you're doing one-base to have a colossus at your choke when the push comes. You can destroy his SCVs and you'll have a huge concave on him with your zealots if he tries to go up your ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Norfindel View Post
    I try to flank his army so that the marines die first. You just need a ton of zealots.

I laugh at Terrans ahahahhahahahahahahhah who try that

omg it's such a fail tech, proof:

Attachment 1679
    fresh game, just a second ago