Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Campaign Thoughts

Default Re: Random Campaign Thoughts

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the confrontation with Valerian.

So rather than, you know, sending some sort of communication to the tune of "Hey Raynor, let's be friends?", you go in with your "shields" down (I really wish they wouldn't screw up something as simple as that), and then proceed to do nothing as Raynor's ship maneuvers to board you, shoots his way through your ship (killing who knows how many soldiers who didn't need to die) and points a gun at your head, before finally giving him your offer.

It's a good thing Raynor decided to go with a dramatic pause rather than simply blow your brains out the second he saw you and thought you were your father (an easy mistake to make, after all Arcturus does have blond hair and a ponytail).
    Superior capability in language does not necessarily equate to superior intelligence...but it certainly doesn't help your argument if you sound stupid.

Zeraszana's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lupino View Post
    (an easy mistake to make, after all Arcturus does have blond hair and a ponytail).
    hehehee, it's actually gray/black hair (he never had blonde, it was Valerian's mother that was the blonde) and lest i am wrong he never wore it in a ponytail but rather loose
    Can't figure if Zeratul is trolling or...

I am semi-ok with all the missions, apart from the fight vs Selendis. I don't get that one at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeraszana View Post
    hehehee, it's actually gray/black hair (he never had blonde, it was Valerian's mother that was the blonde) and lest i am wrong he never wore it in a ponytail but rather loose
    I think Lupino was being sarcastic. Not only is the hair color wrong, Arcturus doesn't have a ponytail and has a much larger build than his son. I rolled my eyes during the scene whan Raynor says 'Turn around, Arcturus.', as it's so blatantly obvious that's not him.

Zeraszana's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Twilice View Post
    I am semi-ok with all the missions, apart from the fight vs Selendis. I don't get that one at all.
    i would have preferred if they made that one similar to the missions in sc where you had to wait and hold the line for a certain amount of time (like waiting for rescue, the hatching etc)

or

to just have a cinematic of selendis and raynor talking it out and negotiating
    ( i mean, after all blizz said that the canon story was jimmy helping the colonists)

or

raynor coming to the planet wandering what the hell happened, and mid mission meeting selendis/some protoss and discussing what to do (help or fight) as opposed to the dumb conversation with ariel (i just dont like her somehow.... )

Quote Originally Posted by Articorse View Post
    I think Lupino was being sarcastic. Not only is the hair color wrong, Arcturus doesn't have a ponytail and has a much larger build than his son. I rolled my eyes during the scene whan Raynor says 'Turn around, Arcturus.', as it's so blatantly obvious that's not him.

jeah well..obvious stupidities all around man...but hell..maybe arty went for a hair dye in that hour (since jimmy watches telly regularly) and lost a few pounds... XD
    Last edited by Zeraszana; 11-30-2010 at 06:03 AM. Reason: didnt see you articorse XD
    Can't figure if Zeratul is trolling or...

At blizzcon someone asked how Jimmy could defeat the fleet of the executor and the answer was 'suspension of disbelief'. Not a great answer but it suggests that you weren't supposed to take that mission to seriously. Perhaps they just mean that some sort of defeat was inflicted on the Protoss or that the confrontation was decided to be not worth while. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Rake View Post
    At blizzcon someone asked how Jimmy could defeat the fleet of the executor and the answer was 'suspension of disbelief'. Not a great answer but it suggests that you weren't supposed to take that mission to seriously. Perhaps they just mean that some sort of defeat was inflicted on the Protoss or that the confrontation was decided to be not worth while. :/
    "Suspension of disbelief" coming from the author is a HORRIBLE answer. You use suspension of disbelief only when you're sure you'll succeed. If people see through the idiocy of the scene, then their disbelief is no longer suspended - thus you have failed.

I honestly hope they go with something like 'The protoss saw their ally Raynor's zeal to protect the people and backed down after a quick skirmish.'. Because the alternative, if they try to inject even a little bit of realism, would be that the protoss would be unwilling to deal with Raynor again, because of all the protoss he killed during that mission just for a tiny, tiny chance that some scientist he's known for a few days claims she alone can reverse the Zerg infestation virus. Something many terran and protoss scientists have failed to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake View Post
    LMAO

That was me. My second question, since they couldn't say who Kerrigan was supposed to be talking to in-between her missions in the HotS campaign. Seriously, though, that's going to be one of the first things we find out anyway, as soon as there's a campaign press event, so I thought it wasn't going to be too secretive of a subject. Kerrigan has to have something to do in between missions or it's going to be a really boring campaign.

But as for the second question, I was kinda irked about it. I won't kill SCL's relationship with Metzen by badmouthing him, but he and/or Brian could have easily said that Selendis had a minimal amount of forces expended for such a small encampment, and chose not to bother going all-in on such an honorable Terran commander and possible future ally to test his abilities.
    [CENTER]

spychi's Avatar SC:L Addict

@Zero
    this only shows how much (no)effort they put in to the campaign
    imagine how it all could be expanded with proper voice acting, good writing and even better mission concept
    critique is needed even if it will offend others

Mass Effect Universe Fan, I support Mass Effect 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for Game of the year award! ME2 still is being the best rated game this year! Keep it up

"Suspension of disbelief" is indeed a poor answer, but I didn't think it really required one to begin with. The entire mission was really based around destroying a single mothership, one that was practically invincible. Selendis was counting on this, and when it became an issue, sent small "terror fleets" to counter the Raiders.

In the mission, I got the sense of a guerilla war being raged, doing hit and runs, taking out the Purifier and leaving Selendis unwilling to waste more lives. Consider that the Viet Minh and Viet Cong humbled two superpowers in two different wars-not through direct confrontation, but through chipping away at the boulder. I don't think that requires a suspension of disbelief.