View Poll Results: How is the Mothership?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's fine the way it is...no, really!

5 7.81%
  • Needs minor tweaks

14 21.88%
  • Needs substantial changes

10 15.63%
  • Needs major overhaul

8 12.50%
  • Complete redesign into an entirely different unit

3 4.69%
  • Scrap it and replace with Arbiter

14 21.88%
  • Scrap it and replace with nothing

0 0%
  • I like pie?

10 15.63%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blizzard Reiterates: Mothership being crappy is a-ok

MuppZA's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: Blizzard Reiterates: Mothership being crappy is a-ok

Quote Originally Posted by Norfindel View Post
    It must go faster, and that's all. It's movement speed is retarded. Also, it's already expensive and slow to build.
    The Arbiter wasn't broken with the speed it had. Is it too much to ask for the Mothership to move at that speed? It's too slow to even try to move it around your army, so that it doesn't dies so easily. An Arbiter would have more chances of survival, and they had half the amount of HP.
    Reason behind the slow moment was probably that it was OP and could jump between pylons, but now that they nerfed all its cool ability's they should make it go faster like the arbiter!^^
    At least carrier speed!^^
    Last edited by MuppZA; 11-19-2010 at 10:08 PM.

<-Is it just me or does it look like the Mohandar avatar is... jacking off o.O

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

I'm okay with one or two units being for the lulz like the Infested Terrans were but, if they're going to doom the mothership to this fate, they need to make it cooler and harder to get so that it's as rare to see as Infested Terrans.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

This unit was severely overnerfed in the beta due to the prevalence of mothership rushes. Blizzard didn't even let the game evolve one bit, within 2-3 days of someone mothership rushing in some random EU tournament, Blizzard came down hard on the MS. That's just lazy balancing.

Blizzard is taking the easy way out on this, which is not a surprise given their recent track record.

Quote Originally Posted by MuppZA View Post
    What about if you could crono boost the mother ship to make it travel 50% faster? It does come from the nexus so why not! Or be able to bye a upgrade for improved speed?
    That's a damn cool idea. Perhaps chrono boosting the MShip could speed it's energy recovery as well...making it an even greater threat.

I'd rather it have lower health, but cheap and quick to build. Then have a research required for training it.

This way, players can make ms in late games. Protoss needs quick recalls to defend critical areas late game, where terrans or Zerg can just drop everywhere. Warp-prisms by the way are also a drop tactic tool but not as worthwhile compared to dropships, and ovies.

guru's Avatar Junior Member

There is a nice combo in team games: Vortex and nuke...time it right and when the vortex stops the nukes blows. Hell of a sight!

MuppZA's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    There is a nice combo in team games: Vortex and nuke...time it right and when the vortex stops the nukes blows. Hell of a sight!
    Or Get bainlings, archons in to it, also works with siege tanks, collosus and psy storm, anything with splash damage hurts everything exiting the vortex!

But still hard to get the MS in position and not get it killed so a speed bonus would still come handy!

<-Is it just me or does it look like the Mohandar avatar is... jacking off o.O

I'd say we could make the MS somewhat cheaper from scratch but it works like, say... a colossus or HT... it doesn't start with all of it's abilites but after researching them, makes it extremely potent... this would also delay a rush but make an early MS just for an early attack..

right now, we have an expensive building that's not as powerful as either the carrier or BC and too slow, and overall has abilites not being ready at first...

.. how about either a damage spell upgrade...? or starting faster speed?
    or should i shut my filthy mouth and go away...

How about just increase its cloaking range?? If the cloaking range is increased then it's easier to have more units up front blocking units from closing in on the mothership. Even vikings would find it harder to snipe with a cloaking range increase. It would make MS last longer and be more a support unit that stays in the back. It is a huge damn thing. Right now liquipedia says the cloaking field has a range of 5. So most (or possibly all) ranged GtA units can engage the mothership at the edge of its cloaking field. Meaning you need to engage outside the cloaking field to protect the MS leaving your front lines uncloaked.

Seems like the best way to incorporate the mothership now is have it at the back with lots of carriers, void rays or colossus and a big gateway army up front to soak up lots of damage and survive long enough for the carriers/voidrays/colossus to kill everything. But problem is carriers and colossus have pretty good attack range so they can hang back anyways. MS only seems to counter viking/corruptor/VR sniping your carriers/colossus/VRs. The MS seems more like a sacrifice unit and not a support unit. You make it cos it's a big bullseye and basically let him kill it while you destroy as much of his army as you can and when it finally falls hope your leftover army is stronger than his leftover army.

If blizzard wants to keep it as it is now as a sacrifice unit then just reduce its build time. If they want to make it a support unit then just buff the cloaking field range. 5 range cloaking seems kinda small considering it's the same as arbiter and MS is kinda much bigger than an arbiter.:P If MS is the arbiter replacement for toss then makes more sense that toss decided to go for one unit with a big cloaking range rather than decided "Let's get a slow, weak version of our arbiters that doesn't give a better cloaking field, is more expensive and we can only have one of." I wonder what's the radius of the mothership. Would be interesting to know how many percent of the cloaking range area is actually right under the mothership. Would a cloaking field range of 7 be reasonable?

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/263528/1/JHammer/

For people of the opinion "I completely will never pay for anything" but still wanting to watch GSL VODs....PM me. (Hint: Sharing is caring)

If you're making an account just to PM me.....don't waste your time.

Imo scrap the cloaking aura totally and start from there.