Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss patch 1.1.3

spychi's Avatar SC:L Addict

Default Let's discuss patch 1.1.3

Wait what patch?

/sarcasm mode off

ok could somone explain to me why every time they make a patch some Terran unit get's a buff? (don't mind the st and Reaper, those were stupid fixes)
    they fixed the AI for a Thor...fine but why the Thor's AI? not the Immortal's AI to attack armoured first? it's not that i lack micro, I am just curious why the hell Terrans not Zerg or Protoss

every day i pray that Terrans will be fixed in a proper way but...
    did they stopped working on fixing anything in this game or what?

Edit: I added the "list" of changes.
    StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty – Patch 1.1.3

General

* New game categories have been added to filter Tower Defense and Tug of War custom maps.

Balance

* TERRAN
    o Thor
    + This unit will now prioritize attacking ground combat units over Medivacs.

Bug Fixes

* Fixed a desync that could occur when trying to watch replays that had a dependency on bank files.
    Last edited by spychi; 11-10-2010 at 01:08 AM.

Mass Effect Universe Fan, I support Mass Effect 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for Game of the year award! ME2 still is being the best rated game this year! Keep it up

Maul's Avatar Member

Default Re: Let's discuss patch 1.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by spychi View Post
    ok could somone explain to me why every time they make a patch some Terran unit get's a buff?
    Because Blizzard's favourite race is Terran, obviously.
    I really need to change this...
    Check out my maps: Maul's Spirial Turret Defense and Maul's Risk: Bel'shir

MajinX's Avatar Junior Member

because thors have 9 air range? and when they move attack they attack the first thing they see? immortals dont have that problem since they attack the closet attacking thing next to it. Umm i dont see where this same situation can be applied to zerg either. Hydras have the same range for air and ground... and ya.

Can someone please explaing the thor change to me? I don't understand quite exactly what this changes as I don't play terran. Is it a buff or a nerf or just some weird attempt to seem like they're actually doing something? Does this even qualify as a patch.... pretty weak imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabber Wookie View Post
    Can someone please explaing the thor change to me? I don't understand quite exactly what this changes as I don't play terran. Is it a buff or a nerf or just some weird attempt to seem like they're actually doing something? Does this even qualify as a patch.... pretty weak imo.
    Imagine unit X. Unit X has a separate ground attack and air attack. His ground attack hits every 1 second and deals 1 damage. His air attack hits every 1 second and deals 1000 damage. Chances are he was designed as an anti-air unit that can also attack ground units "by the way," right? But, let's say in our hypothetical example, all units prioritize attacking ground units higher than attacking air units.

That means that our primarily anti-air unit will always attack ground units first. Your enemy's bringing in a fleet of Carriers with a single Zealot underneath, your entire army will engage the Zealot for half an hour and die in the process. That's pretty dumb AI for your unit, right? So the fix is to... swap his individual targeting priorities.

How specifically this relates to the Medivac scenario I can't say, but the same SORT of logic (in a less extreme variant) applies. Presumably, Blizzard saw that Thors were wasting too much of their damage in TvT match-ups shooting stupidly into the air when there were huge armies on the ground killing them, so they changed it up.

How an explicitly TvT change is a buff to Terrans is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by spychi View Post
    every day i pray that Terrans will be fixed in a proper way but...
    did they stopped working on fixing anything in this game or what?
    You know what, on release day I might have agreed with you. Release week. Even release month. But lately I'm watching more and more competitive games and I'm seeing pros use the most mundane units in ridiculously overpowered ways, and units that I thought were overpowered not used at all (or very little). Blizz has sold me on the idea of not doing sweeping changes until they can see the metagame stabilize to some extent. I'd give them a few more months before they're forced to perform any grand gestures. The game's hardly unplayable.
    Last edited by pure.Wasted; 11-10-2010 at 02:42 AM.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7699/commun1.png

Lets say you get attacked by 20 marines and 5 medivacs and you got 5 thors. With propper ai your thors should win in 4 hits. But what would happen is that the thors would attack the medivacs instead and you would actaully lose to those marines.

Also this seem to be only for medivacs mind you! Stop say that it is a terran buff/nerf... because medivacs as tanks get worse while thors ai get buffed vs MEDIVACS. It is straightly a TvT change = no buff/nerf.

Also this was a good patch, it shows that they are experimenting with their custom game list and are still updating their main battle.net 2.0 functionallity.

dustinbrowder's Avatar Banned

Its a good patch, without having tons of stuff in it. Thor's needed the fix because of high level TvT play, where Thor would automatically start attacking air units, instead of ground, as well as making drop play in such situations more valuable and require more micro on the part of thor controller.

There's not a whole lot to discuss . I mean, the Thor change is nice for TvT, but I don't see it significantly changing anything.
    The only place for a hamshank is on the dinner plate!

There's a reason why Edward Longshanks was an evil git in 'Braveheart'! Down with the shanks! All of them!

Why would it get higher priority for the Medivacs, anyways? They don't even have an attack.
    Still, i suppose they attack the first unit in range, anyways? It's just that if there are combat units and Medivacs into range, the combat units get more priority, right?

WhoamI's Avatar Junior Member

It has priority for air units probably but this was messed up with the medevac...