Thread: Help with terran

Default Help with terran

I'm kinda new to SC 2 in multiplayer, can someone look at how I play and advise on it? I mainly go for terran ( as it seems the easiest to master first).
    P.S. how do you take a replay to give to people?

Default Re: Help with terran

Ok more information could help but walling off is very smart against both zerg and protoss, against terran is generally better not to since they will most likely get siege tanks and destroy your building far away.

a strong/standard opening is 10 supply depot 12 barracks 13 gas 16 orbital and so on.

Strong builds against terran would be vikings and siege tanks or mm with siege tanks.
    against protoss ghost and emp are really strong as well as mm, m, or mmm.
    against zerg a very strong build is hellion thor since thors can do away with most units hellions cant handle and hellions can do away with a lot of units thors can handle.

Play a lot of games and dont be afraid to lose also watching your replays to improve on stuff.

[url=http://sc2sig.com]

Anytime you finish a game even if you don't immediately save a replay you can click the replay tab on SC2's main game page. It's like a movie camera icon. Then under recent it shows like...your 10 most recent games or something like that. Click on one then save it and rename it so you know what game it is. To find it go to your My Documents folder then under Starcraft II. Go in into accounts then replays then multiplayer and eventually you find the replay which you can attach to forum messages or emails etc.

Day[9]'s advice is really good if you're new. Just pick 1 build and be really good at it. For terran one of the easiest is to just go marine marauder medivac with some siege tanks. It can handle quite a lot. Focus on keep making SCVs and supply depots throughout the game and keep production buildings as low as possible and constantly making stuff.

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/263528/1/JHammer/

For people of the opinion "I completely will never pay for anything" but still wanting to watch GSL VODs....PM me. (Hint: Sharing is caring)

If you're making an account just to PM me.....don't waste your time.

well got busy with college
    @Jackhammer @MrJiggles thanks for the advice, will try it out soon
    oh and here's the replays, pre-advise

Ah in practice league i see. In early game you just set your rally point for command center to the same mineral patch. If you set the rally for patches where there's no SCV mining it gives you a tiny edge in early game but might as well do it since nothing else is happening. Meaning like the outermost patches are not being mined from. If you just set your rally to center the SCV will just move over to the unused mineral patch. So if you just set the rally to the unused patch you save the like 1 second it moves and isn't mining. Tiny tip to start off.

Your first supply depot is a little early. Better to delay it to build a depot when ur food is 10 unless you want some early rush then 9 is good. I liked how you let the gas build up to get a factory. At some points you got supply blocked. It happens to us all. Make it a habit to check the top right. And you stopped making SCVs after a certain point. Always good to have lots of SCVs. I always make them until I see them start to move from patch to patch meaning there's too many but just perfect for when I expand. At some points you had the minerals to make a command center but you didn't. You should have started the command center sooner. Terran have it nice that they can just build it, start getting more SCVs, upgrade to orbital and get ready until they feel it is safe enough to expand.

Don't rely too much on queueing up units (e.g. marines, marauders). I would say have one producing and one on queue max but slowly train yourself to not need to put any in queue, you'll just know the marine or watever is done and it's time to make something new. Keep checking all your hotkeys. Check that you're making SCVs, check that your barracks, factory, starport are making units. Check the top right to see if you need more depots. Also at some points you were supply blocked. Then would be a good time to just cancel units in queue and start researching siege mode and concussive shells and stim pack, etc. One thing to notice is if you're just producing from all your buildings (with nothing in queue) and your minerals keep building up, you can either put down more barracks, etc or get started on a command center.

Oh and a tip about your refineries. If you take a quick look when there are 3 SCVs mining gas you will always see 2 SCVs on the screen. One sending it back to command center and one waiting at your refinery. Just one quick look will tell you whether you have 1 SCV, 2 SCVs or 3 SCVs on gas. I would say use the practice league to focus on your macro skills. High income, lots of units, lots of upgrades. You can improve your unit composition, etc at a later date when you're more used to SC2.

That's the first replay. Now i'm gonna watch the second one but i don't expect a lot of difference. Just focus on macro skills. Remembering to make things constantly. Day9's mantra "SCVs, depots, make units, check minimap". Once you feel confident enough about these we can talk more about unit compositions, etc.
    Last edited by JackhammerIV; 10-23-2010 at 04:52 PM.

For people of the opinion "I completely will never pay for anything" but still wanting to watch GSL VODs....PM me. (Hint: Sharing is caring)

Second game pretty much the same as the first one. You could have ended it a lot sooner but you didn't cos of lack of scouting. You can use your vikings to wander around and check stuff out. Also if you're feeling very worried about mutalisks or whatever then sacrifice one MULE and scan his base instead to see what's going on. Not the very first time you upgrade to orbital command of course. The map even had a natural expo protected by rocks. Your expo went up really late. You noticed your money kept piling up. If you're high on minerals and low on gas just put down more barracks and pump out tons of marines. You could have gotten combat shield earlier. I guess I can just run through a game on novice steppes of war as terran and put some ingame chat as tips and thought process. I'm a toss user so don't expect much from me but it'll cover the basics that watching pro replays wont really tell u. Day9 is good though at talking through what you should be thinking. Time for my run thru now.:P I'll post it up soon.

Here's the example replay. Macroing defensively. It's possible to do even better by expanding early and not getting thors too quickly. That's up to you and your gut feeling. I would say you're doing very well and should move out of practice league soon. Practice league coddles you a lot cos it prevents early game rushes and is at slower speed. Don't be overly worried about the whole APM thing. My APM is pretty low but i still managed to make it to platinum just by having macro and slowly improving game by game. Learn from losses. As terran you have less to fear from early rushes if you're careful. Don't be afraid to lose. It's just a game. Have fun. If you're really scared find someone practice with to early rush u etc to get you used to it. I just noticed....you're from Malaysia?? I'm from Brunei. Says you're in Russia now. Playing European SC2??

Wow thanks for the advise, will be trying it out soon, although college sucks my time for it.
    Yeah I'm from Malaysia, studying in Russia for some reason :P. There's lots of seniors to play with, that's why I decided to buy another copy for Russia, on top of SEA >_<
    Again thanks for the advise.