Page 3 of 328 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Macro Mechanics Discussion Thread

Default Re: Karune: Answers questions about the macro mechanics

I got a question, are the other abilities limited by range?

Quote Originally Posted by Noise View Post
    Good to know that it is 100% busywork and has no real competing ability.
    Cept of course for the energy recharge that was so useful they had to nerf it in half.

Cept of course for the energy recharge that was so useful they had to nerf it in half.
    That's not contention; each Obelisk has its own energy reservoir. One Obelisk being used to recharge energy has nothing to do with the ones you're using for your Probes.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

"You simply cannot design a mechanic today to mimic the behaviour of a 10-year old mechanic that you removed because nearly nobody would like them today." - Norfindel, on the Macro Mechanics

"We want to focus the player on making interesting choices and not just a bunch of different klicks." - Dustin Browder

StarCraft 2 Beta Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Nicol Bolas View Post
    That's not contention; each Obelisk has its own energy reservoir. One Obelisk being used to recharge energy has nothing to do with the ones you're using for your Probes.
    "often times it is better to build a second Obelisk when you can afford it to then use those abilities."

The key is the "when you can afford it" part. Right now they cost 200 minerals. Thats already more than a gateway and half a new nexus. If it was still a problem you could always bump this number up.

Personally I think it should be something totally different from an increased resource mechanic. More of an anti harass mechanic. Since protoss don't have to sacrifice workers to build they already have a small economic advantage in that they only need 1 probe to build, and terran need one SCV/building, as do Zerg to a greater extent.

My suggestion is to instead have the obelisk drain it's energy reserves and temporarily increase the shields of all the effected probes by that ammount until help arrives, say 20-30 seconds.

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

My suggestion is to instead have the obelisk drain it's energy reserves and temporarily increase the shields of all the effected probes by that ammount until help arrives, say 20-30 seconds.
    Pointless. It's much more effective just to run your probes. Shields drain so fast it wouldn't help much unless you planned on giving it massive amounts of shields.

If all obelisks shared the same (enlarging with each new obelisk) mana pool then tension between abilities would exist all through the game, not just until the second pylon is built.

Hey, does anyone else feel dizzy? Like we have been going round in circles?

We've been doing that for a while now...

Back with all gun's blazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake View Post
    I'm starting to think that people have been overreacting about the obelisk. First people thought that because it was exponential it was unbalancable (mineral boost almost the same as MULE). Then people thought that because you could build multiple of them it was spammable (it currently costs 50 minerals more than the queen). Then people, myself included, thought that its other abilities werent that useful (energy recharge so useful they cut the ratio in half). I am inclined to believe those who have played the game that there is no huge problem here.
    Last edited by ArcherofAiur; 07-14-2009 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherofAiur View Post
    I'm starting to think that people have been overreacting about the obelisk. First people thought that because it was exponential it was unbalancable (mineral boost almost the same as MULE). Then people thought that because you could build multiple of them it was spammable (it currently costs 50 minerals more than the queen). Then people, myself included, thought that its other abilities werent that useful (energy recharge so useful they cut the ratio in half). I am inclined to believe those who have played the game that there is no huge problem here.
    While in the middle of an individual game you might not be aware of overarcing game issues like whether or not Proton Charge has a decent competing ability and whether or not that makes the game overall better or worse. You're usually just focusing on building units and killing enemies.