Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warp gate cooldown post Patch

Default Warp gate cooldown post Patch

Hi,

I play random, but since the patch I seem to be getting protoss a lot.

Has anyone else had real problems due to the cooldown on warp gates. I just can't get enough units out now, even with over 7 gates. Before I could reinforce reasonably quickly, now any threat just walks all over me. I know it's only an extra 5 seconds but it seems to be an age.

I know I'm not the best player, but I used to win about 50% of my protoss games, but I've not won any since the patch.

Sminkly

Default Re: Warp gate cooldown post Patch

Hey,
    You're suffering from the same withdrawal symptoms a lot of Protoss mains are, from Bronze up to Diamond league. In fact from what I notice, the over-reliance on warping-in gets worse the higher you go, even Diamond is packed with players who barely adjust from 4gate strategies and often tap out if their push fails.

The key is, stop relying on Gateways. Go for early Robo and reinforce with Immortals and Colossi, or go Templar Archives if your opponent is massing T1 units. Your Zealots ought to be your front line tying up their melee, your Stalkers ought to be Blinking around harassing the flanks and Armored, but with a few higher-Tier units you'll see much greater success. As a Terran player who likes MM, either Colossi or HT will really mess me up, you just need to learn to survive until your can make your mid-game choice.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Good. Maybe now I'll have a reason to make more than one Robotics Facility.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

From the Toss players I've seen I'm surprised you bother to make that many
    Last edited by Slyph; 09-22-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: I fail grammar

Quote Originally Posted by TychusFindlay View Post
    Good. Maybe now I'll have a reason to make more than one Robotics Facility.
    Which is a funny comment when you watch the GSL and so many many many many games end up using double robo. This resulting in tastosis making a double robo comment relating to the double rainbow video.

Your source for sound, logical and reasonable responses.

Is that post patch? If so, I'm glad. I was always hoping they'd make a change to cause this. At the moment, Protoss are the equivalent of Big Game Hunter Zergs relying on Zerlings and Hydralisks and nothing else. Just beat them with numbers and nothing else.

Personally, I tend to only focus on Robotics units when I'm massing at my main. It's just so much more effective to mass warp in Gateway units when you're pushing and Immortals or Collosus are so vulnerable and slow.

Quote Originally Posted by TychusFindlay View Post
    Is that post patch? If so, I'm glad. I was always hoping they'd make a change to cause this. At the moment, Protoss are the equivalent of Big Game Hunter Zergs relying on Zerlings and Hydralisks and nothing else. Just beat them with numbers and nothing else.

Personally, I tend to only focus on Robotics units when I'm massing at my main. It's just so much more effective to mass warp in Gateway units when you're pushing and Immortals or Collosus are so vulnerable and slow.
    They havent had any games post patch in the GSL. Most all PvPs end up being double robo (think one was triple robo) and a lot of PvZs had double too.

Your source for sound, logical and reasonable responses.

The 5 seconds is only for the zealot. All the other times for every other gateway unit is exactly the same as it was. Each unit has its own building time, and its own warp in cool down time. And the zealot still has the quickest cool down (28) compared to any other unit:stalker(32), sentry(32), and both templar(45).

Imo it makes macroing easier since the cooldowns are closer together you have to worry less about remembering multiple timings for when your warpgates are ready, you can just remember 30 GTS and realize that all your warpgates should be done at about that time so you can macro faster. I know that the zealot is now 28 instead of 30, but it is much better to miss 2 seconds of non-cooldown then to miss a constant half a cycle or more just because you were not paying attention. You could also of course just memorize 28 and that would server the same general purpose, but 30 is all in all an easier number to remember since it ends in 0.

Let me put it like this, if you are constantly doing the holy square of protoss goodness(building probes, building units, pylons, chronoboost) and this strategy that was working isn't anymore, you need a different strategy. In order for that to be true your build would have to be so refined and so perfect that any miscalculation or change would wreck it.

I would suggest going back and rewatching all of your replays and making sure you were never supply capped, you were always using the warpgates when you had the chance, and you were still making probes up until your cutoff point. If you see times that you realize "oh yea, I was supply blocked here, I stopped making units here" then you know how to correct them and keep on trying your strategy. If you were absolutely perfect in all of those regards, then you can always come back here and ask for some advice on non-gateway centric builds. GL in your discoveries.
    I realize that I change my signature often. All I can say to that is: SO??? HAI FIVE!! (*・∀・)/♡\(・∀・*)

If you like anyone's post, be sure to give them additional rep.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    They havent had any games post patch in the GSL. Most all PvPs end up being double robo (think one was triple robo) and a lot of PvZs had double too.
    1) What pros do has nothing to do with me.
    2) Wasn't just talking about PvP
    3) I'm talking about on only one or two (not fully saturated bases).

Yes, you are right. Way too many protoss players do not get a robo at all. And I dont mind the gateway centric gamestyle that involves expanding, I am more concerned about the dreadful constant "im gonna 4 gate you everytime" style that way too many protoss players do. The 3gate expand against zerg is a solid build, and there are many builds that only get the robo for the observers that rely on gateway or even stargate play. Sadly I feel that many people will still do the 4gate all ins and nothing else without even trying to adapt, instead just figuring out new timings. The people who do not know how to adapt, WILL eventually all be left behind anyway so I dont worry about it.
    I realize that I change my signature often. All I can say to that is: SO??? HAI FIVE!! (*・∀・)/♡\(・∀・*)

If you like anyone's post, be sure to give them additional rep.