Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WoW players going to play SCII? Really?

Default WoW players going to play SCII? Really?

So recent interviews shows that Blizzard is expecting a lot of wow players to come play SC. How much do you think this is true? Honestly I highly doubt it. RTS games as a "hardcore player only" written all over it. Those games are way too complex for the casual experience. Casual players would try to form cute villages with their bases and only mass one type of units, get beaten up by the AI and leave. It's nothing to be ashame for, the great Boxer started this way (you can read it in his bio). I'm just predicting that SCII will not be picked up by wow casual players.

Default Re: WoW players going to play SCII? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    So recent interviews shows that Blizzard is expecting a lot of wow players to come play SC. How much do you think this is true? Honestly I highly doubt it. RTS games as a "hardcore player only" written all over it. Those games are way too complex for the casual experience. Casual players would try to form cute villages with their bases and only mass one type of units, get beaten up by the AI and leave. It's nothing to be ashame for, the great Boxer started this way (you can read it in his bio). I'm just predicting that SCII will not be picked up by wow casual players.
    I'm inclined to agree. The MMO players I know don't really play RTS. The RTS players don't MMO. The FPS players don't RTS or MMO. A lot of people tend to stick to one genre, and its kinda sad. I only know a few people (including myself) who will play all kinds of games.

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    I'm inclined to agree. The MMO players I know don't really play RTS. The RTS players don't MMO. The FPS players don't RTS or MMO. A lot of people tend to stick to one genre, and its kinda sad. I only know a few people (including myself) who will play all kinds of games.
    While the two are vastly different genres, I feel like the dedicated WoW players will give a lot of time in to improve at SC2. After all, many of them dedicate 5+ hours a day to WoW, so a few hours a day at SC2 and they should catch up in no time.

Sure it's not as laid back as, say, raiding, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by imdrunkontea View Post
    While the two are vastly different genres, I feel like the dedicated WoW players will give a lot of time in to improve at SC2. After all, many of them dedicate 5+ hours a day to WoW, so a few hours a day at SC2 and they should catch up in no time.

Sure it's not as laid back as, say, raiding, but still.
    Actually that's another reason I think many WoW players WON'T play SC2. Dedicated WoW players won't have time for it. Why play SC2 when you have gold to farm and succubi to kill?

As a casual WoW player, what blizzard expects is true, for me at least.
    I will definitely pick up SCII. And with a 75% probability it will be the downfall of my WoW account... unless said WoW account also counts as a discount, or a full premium battle.net membership, if that is ever implanted.

Scientists measure a second as the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods
    of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine
    levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom.
    Or the duration of 9,192,631,770 matches where David Kim crushes you head to head in StarCraft 2

Also as a casual WoW player, I've been dreaming of the day that SC2 comes out so I can spend my free time doing something that involves a little more brain power.

I might just cancel my WoW account so I can concentrate on SC2.

One thing you have to remember is that a lot of WoW players came from warcraft 3, which was an RTS. Many people are casual gamers but hardcore-blizzard-fans and will probably play whatever Blizzard makes.

Quote Originally Posted by clownz View Post
    One thing you have to remember is that a lot of WoW players came from warcraft 3, which was an RTS. Many people are casual gamers but hardcore-blizzard-fans and will probably play whatever Blizzard makes.
    I agree, i got 10 or more Friends that are now playing wow and was playing really good SC, WC3, Diablo etc etc. So i know this is true. Many of them will play SC2.
    "Living for the Swarm!"

WoW players going to play SCII? Really?

yes really

trace wm

I don't think they're so much expecting as they're hoping. Blizzard has those 12 million people already dedicated to playing one of their games. It's very easy for them to advertise/hype SCII on forums and servers. I bet they'll get a good sized chunk of them to buy in.