Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any DS9 fans here?

Default Re: Any DS9 fans here?

Quote Originally Posted by LoA View Post
    ST:TNG>DS9>All others.

I happened to love DS9.

Especially some of the DS9/TNG cross-over episodes. Oh - and Dax was hot.

~LoA
    DS9 was my favorite. TNG was way too campy at first, and later on got sort of boring. Then again that might be because I've watched it umpteen-million times. I also enjoyed Voyager. Oddly enough I dislike TOS. Also enjoyed the TNG/DS9 crossovers.

DS9 was more then just exploration, it had war, which was really quite cool. Besides Sisko actually flattened Q with a punch, could you see Picard ever doing that? :3

Personally I figure you either liked DS9 or you didn't -- I enjoyed DS9 because it was... darker then the other series. It wasn't all clean and utopian like TNG was, you know? Different stories weren't positive, the younger sisko getting caught near the front lines -- that episode was pretty good; O'Brien's infiltration of the Orion Syndicate, even that Admiral's attempt to take over the federation via a coup. Heck, Winn's obsession with power. The war, especially, was quite interesting. What I find odd is that the writers for DS9, I believe, moved onto the newer BSG, which confuses me since I still cant watch that series and I've tried like three times so far. Ah well.

ENT is only a good series if you consider it by itself - or possibly as an alternate universe thing. Really as a sci-fi series goes it's pretty good if you give it a chance. Does that make sense? I hate it as star trek canon, but I like it as a sci-fi show. I just wish they'd stop focusing on prequels (the new ST movie, which was awesome btw) or the original series.
    Last edited by Neo; 05-12-2009 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edfishy View Post
    Deep Space 9 was only really remarkable during its first 3 seasons. After that it began to jump the shark a bit and would constantly find itself being written into corners. The actors(and writers) seemed to get slower, almost sleepier as time went by.
    Strangely, for me the first 2 seasons of DS9 were really weak. However seasons 5 and 6 I consider to be the best Star Trek has to offer.
    - You've seen StarCraft: First Contact -

- Now, prepare for the Final Metamorphosis -

Quote Originally Posted by Freespace View Post
    Strangely, for me the first 2 seasons of DS9 were really weak. However seasons 5 and 6 I consider to be the best Star Trek has to offer.
    lol, we must all be looking for something different in a star trek series.. However, at least most of us agree that TNG is the best, because it really is :-P
    http://sclegacy.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=23&dateline=124193888  6

Please stop the spread of Mass Effect!!!

DS9>>>TNG>ENT=TOS>>>>>>VOY

ds9 actualy had character development, it had actions that caused CONSEQUENCES and the characters learned from them. From Bahsir being a snob at the begining to getting one of the best characters. Characters in every other ST show always stayed the same, they always had the same ideals and goal, nothing ever changed, that lesson learned last week, forgoten by the next one. There was never any friction betwen the main cast unlike in DS9, which potrayed a alot more human and realistic fedaration, with captains willing to sacrifice their principless for "the greater good" (when Sisko get the romulans into the war by a deception which he orcestrated and which costed the life of a romulan senator)

DS9 was more "grimdark" and a lot of people (including me) like it beacose of that, even if isn't "true" star trek anymore, or atleast doens't realy go along with genes vission of the future

vIsitor's Avatar Junior Member

Like many of these good posters, I do not share the hell-spawned cephalopod's opinion on this matter.

If you were to ask me, I'd say that DS9 is as good as (and in some cases, better than) TNG, right there at the top of the Star Trek pantheon. Sure, some people didn't like it; I can understand that. Previous trek shows had been about a sort of "wagon train to the stars" mentality, whereas DS9 was about consequences and character development. It was certainly a lot darker than Roddenberry's 'vision', but given that his vision was basically a communist utopian future filled with scantily-clad alien women to service the nearest lady-killer, it's probably a change for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by vIsitor View Post
    Like many of these good posters, I do not share the hell-spawned cephalopod's opinion on this matter.

If you were to ask me, I'd say that DS9 is as good as (and in some cases, better than) TNG, right there at the top of the Star Trek pantheon. Sure, some people didn't like it; I can understand that. Previous trek shows had been about a sort of "wagon train to the stars" mentality, whereas DS9 was about consequences and character development. It was certainly a lot darker than Roddenberry's 'vision', but given that his vision was basically a communist utopian future filled with scantily-clad alien women to service the nearest lady-killer, it's probably a change for the better.
    DS9 was meant to be darker. Which is why it fails. Because Star Trek is about the light defeating the dark. Not blurring the lines.

Im not a big Star Trek fan.
    That was until i saw the Voyager series.
    Then i was hooked.
    I seen most seasons of the other versions.
    But i still come back to Voyager.
    I would have to pick that one as my favorite.

The thought of getting home agaisnt impossible odds seems very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    DS9 was meant to be darker. Which is why it fails. Because Star Trek is about the light defeating the dark. Not blurring the lines.
    Did you even watch it? The Federation prevails, Sisko prevails and defeats the Pah-Wraiths, and even Odo succeeds in going home to reform the Dominion. Would you not call those victories for the light? Isn't that, even, ideal? On top of that Cardassia, while ravaged, is forced to move away from it's totalitarian regime.

Even TNG was dark at times. The alien-infestation of Starfleet HQ for instance, Best of Both Worlds wasn't all super happy either; Q wasn't exactly cheery all the time either. The problem with TNG was that it was disjointed. Many of the shows were "visit this place, find trouble, fix it, move on" whereas DS9 had more over-all story arks. In the first season or two Bajor was having trouble organizing itself after being occupied for so long -- in-fighting and such -- and coming to terms with Starfleet's presence. Afterward there were the Klingons vs Cardassians, then the Dominion started to get introduced slowly until, eventually, it broke out into full blown war with the Federation. And all through-out the main arcs were character arcs -- Sisko coming to terms with the loss of his wife at the beginning, then coming to terms as being "the emissary", then moving forward and having a personal relationship with another woman -- dealing with the Maquis, and subsequently Kasidy's involvement with them, then moving onto him vs Dukat which reaccurs often.

For many, DS9 offers us the depth we enjoy in a sci-fi series, as opposed to the more 'generic' TNG plotlines. Really the only over-all arc I can think of is the dynamic between the crew and Q, the borg, and Data's struggle to become human.

I prefer Odo's struggle to come to terms with his feelings for Kira, Kira's struggle to move past her guerrilla-fighting roots and distrust, Bashir's change from an arrogant young man to a truly brilliant doctor, even Quark changes -- 'tainted' by Stahr-fleet he shows he's not as ruthless. Hell Rom was an interesting character in the later seasons -- for that matter so was his Son, who goes from being a thieve in the first episode, to being a Lieutenant in the final episode.

Fuck I'm a trek nerd.

Regardless we can all agree that First Contact was awesome.

Did you even watch it? The Federation prevails, Sisko prevails and defeats the Pah-Wraiths, and even Odo succeeds in going home to reform the Dominion. Would you not call those victories for the light? Isn't that, even, ideal? On top of that Cardassia, while ravaged, is forced to move away from it's totalitarian regime.
    it's not about the end result. Yes "good" wins at the end, but at what cost? The federation had to give up a lot of it's ideals, romulans were lured into the war under a deception, we know about section 31 (or is it 13? -.-). One romulan senator was probably killed for "treason" so that the federation could place the guy in charge they wanted to

like said it's not about winning, but it's about the road to get to the win and the federation in DS9 is wiling to go over bodies in order to further their goal, as noble as it might be. TNG or any other ST would never potray the federation in such a way

and that's why DS9 is the best of the trek shows