Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thor AA change

Default Thor AA change

I was wondering about thors aa and I believe that a big problem in it is the fact that it is such burst damage. Mutas have always been heavily reliant on micro: Attack leave attack from a different angle. This doesn't work with the thor because 4 seconds of damage is put into a 1 second timeframe which wouldn't be a problem if mutas would stay there for the full 4 seconds causing muta micro to be far less effective. What if thors would attack with 1 missile every .5 seconds. Comments?
    Click or else your a egg killer. Do you want to be a baby killer O.o?

Default Re: Thor AA change

I think if it attacked 1 missile every .5 seconds it would actually do more damage to mutalisks rather than less (though it would be less "bursty"). Well... actually it would situationally do less I suppose. It would be more damage in any given fight where the mutalisks are attacking without the intent to pull away and less in long range quick harassment.

I would rather reduce the insane 10 range on the thor instead though.

Your source for sound, logical and reasonable responses.

That's the whole point of the Thor. It has ridiculous air range as it is and cannot deal with heavy air or mass tier1. It's basically a siege tank for air...it does have minor splash.
    It's also way too slow to maximize a 0.5 Attack speed weapon.

What you're suggesting simply breaks the Thor and the Missile turret.
    Vikings get eaten alive by Mutalisks, I don't see how Terran could deal with Muta harass with t2/t3 then? Other than waste $$ on stationary missile turrets.

Also think about when you have Battle Cruisers and your thors are backing them up. Corruptors can fly in and rip your cruisers apart and get "tickled" by the Thors. They'll just leave and suffer miniscule damage. ~ala Mutalisks flying into your mineral lines and just wreaking havoc, then running away with NO mutalisk casaulties. Sure they're damaged but in the gain/loss....the Terran player is just crying from the hopeless rape.

I personally do not like the Thor, but as it is - it's balanced nicely and the unit serves a nice role in early mid game pushes.
    Last edited by hyde; 08-23-2010 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dustinbrowder View Post
    You are very weird man. Have you no logic?
    And again you had to be pretty big noob about PC not to know about the change, I mean even the birds on the trees knew about it.

...Its like calling throwing stone an athletic competition. Get a grip man and don't write nonsense...
    Shot put anyone?

My previous thoughts on the thor AA is to make it's damage point target the "target point" -- the point where it first caught a target and launched an attack, and a random variation so the AoE spreads out over that area. Much like the Valkerie's attack.

Adding a mover to its missiles that would make missiles drop then speed to the target point, will then give a small window for the mutas to evade the splash.

One can also make the thor constatly reacquire a target, so as to make it attack like a machine gun on D-day.

The result is that Thors become moveable AA that can damage slow moving units, interceptors, etc, but allow mutas to evade if the player expects a thor there.

This is true since thors have a long range of attack.

or make Thors not able to attack air but have auto cast ability (channeled)(nets? tasers?) to bring air units to the ground of course massive units are immune, a reverse version of the graviton beam then marauder rape xD

Quote Originally Posted by Blasterion View Post
    or make Thors not able to attack air but have auto cast ability (channeled)(nets? tasers?) to bring air units to the ground of course massive units are immune, a reverse version of the graviton beam then marauder rape xD
    lol or make the thor be able to transform like the viking. Then make its missle volley its ground attack and its arm cannons its air attack. Then it'll counter the pesky capital ships/units.
    jkjk

This is how you're supposed to micro mutas now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68H8F...ayer_embedded#!

Quote Originally Posted by IchibanBaka View Post
    lol or make the thor be able to transform like the viking. Then make its missle volley its ground attack and its arm cannons its air attack. Then it'll counter the pesky capital ships/units.
    jkjk
    Take away the Thor's ability to attack but....
    have Thors able to equip 2 siege tanks or 2 hellions or a combin of both, and it will replace its own hand cannons also can equip 2 vikings to give it air power so it can engage air targets with the viking missles like some kind of super mobile bunker for vehicles and vikings

me thinks we need TERRATRON
    Click or else your a egg killer. Do you want to be a baby killer O.o?

EOAGamer's Avatar Junior Member

moosh,

thanks for the youtube link.