Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So it begins (Character name changes coming soon)

Default So it begins (Character name changes coming soon)

We wanted to let everyone know that in the near future we’ll be allowing everyone a chance to change their chosen StarCraft II character name for free.

In some cases, people chose character names that don’t represent their usual multiplayer nicknames, as they were unaware of how the character names were being used. It’s important to us that everyone is represented by a name of their choosing in their multiplayer games, ladders, and on the forums and community site.

In addition, beyond this initial free name change, we’ll be launching a service similar to the one we offer for World of Warcraft which will allow additional character name changes for a fee. We'll announce more details on how the free name change and additional paid character name changes will be implemented in the near future.

http://sea.battle.net/sc2/en/buynow?.../en/blog/45237

ActivisionBlizzard: "Making you pay for stuff that used to be free"
    Last edited by ArcherofAiur; 08-16-2010 at 09:32 AM.

Default Re: So it begins (Character name changes coming soon)

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherofAiur View Post
    ActivisionBlizzard: "Making you pay for stuff that used to be free"
    Yeah, because this kind of thing didn't exist before Activision came along and screwed Blizzard.

Oh wait...

we’ll be launching a service similar to the one we offer for World of Warcraft
    I'm not defending Activision for the record, but I was under the impression that Blizzard was already doing these kind of things prior to the merge.
    Last edited by Crazy_Jonny; 08-16-2010 at 10:06 AM.

Areoseph's Avatar Junior Member

Well it's not like you could switch your name and keep your stats on the old Battle.net. So charging for a change isn't betraying something fundamentally free in vanilla SC. Sure, you could make a new profile, but you start from scratch. Here you can change you name but keep your stats and achievements. This too shall pass, calm calm calm.

Areo

Meh whatever man, how many times in your SC2 life that you need to change your name? I for one will never be changing my name.

Considering that Blizzard is trying to make everybody be more responsible by ensuring that their nickname is their one and only identity, I am absolutely okay with people having to pay to change their names. The ability to create an infinite amount of avatars creates a universe of no consequence. Want to get 100-0 win/loss record? Just create a new account! You make a total ass of yourself on the forums? No problem! Just make a new avatar and nobody will know the difference!

I'm totally in line with Blizz on this one.

Maybe you think that now BUT, what if 2 years down the road you grow bored with your name hmmmm?

Im just waiting till they charge for cool decals like they have on the thor Collectors addition.
    Click or else your a egg killer. Do you want to be a baby killer O.o?

Quote Originally Posted by minerals View Post
    Maybe you think that now BUT, what if 2 years down the road you grow bored with your name hmmmm?

Im just waiting till they charge for cool decals like they have on the thor Collectors addition.
    Do you mean you're waiting for them to sell decals so you can buy some? Or so you can mock the people who do?
    I hate this kind of marketing, but it works and at least some of the money they make is reinjected in their game development, so why not. As long as there isn't as big a difference between income and product quality as there is for WoW...
    Positive marketing is positive.

The downside is that blizzard is figuring out that most gamers aren't looking for a reliable and challenging gaming experience and are willing to pay for little trinkets, or really stupid stuff like that transparent poney in WoW ($20 iirc?). Why bother making good games if people will buy crap anyways. EA games still makes a bunch of bad games but makes money because some of the hardcore harry potter fans will buy every single one of the Harry Potter games.

After all, this applies to all markets. The starwars series didn't make all of its money through movie theaters... just like musicians don't make all of their money by selling albums.
    So long as the game quality doesn't drop, by all means, make more services that you need to pay for and that I won't be using anyways, especially if that lets other people pay for my precious patches.

This doesn't affect me since I don't plan to change my time, but I'm still disgusted by this kind of business move. You know damn well it's an easy change to adjust one's name.

spychi's Avatar SC:L Addict

so yeah greed
    pathetic company

Mass Effect Universe Fan, I support Mass Effect 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for Game of the year award! ME2 still is being the best rated game this year! Keep it up

Woot, having to pay for name changes after just one attempt! I remember the days when you could just make a free new account and name it whatever the Hell you like. Oh wait, Valve still allows that and most other companies. Looks like Blizzard is monetizing all their future products. Can't wait to see Diablo 3 paid sex changes.